PDA

View Full Version : Dormant mowing

LAWNGODFATHER
08-05-2001, 04:20 PM
Do you guys mow dormant lawns?

In St. Louis there are a few LCO’s that mow dormant lawns

One of which I see have dirt tire tracks. They will try to mow 40+ times

How far will you push your mowing season?

LGF:blob1:

LAWNGODFATHER
08-05-2001, 04:23 PM
I will mow if customer wnts me too

Guido
08-05-2001, 04:54 PM
change your billing system which will be based on mowing every week of the mowing season, and charge over a 12 month period, you only have to cut when it needs it during the droughts. The customer gets away from looking at it as X amount of dollars per week. Its easier on their eyes.

Hope this helps!

KirbysLawn
08-05-2001, 04:59 PM
Yep, what Guido said. I bill monthly and my income is not affected by weather. If they choose not to water that's their choice and a dormant lawn is the result, it's up to them.

jeffyr
08-05-2001, 06:07 PM
I triple that vote. I am much happier now--no more driveby..no more "should I or shouldn't I ?"

guntruck
08-05-2001, 08:12 PM
We only mow when its needed, we are fair to the customer, however i would like and am going to charge from now on by 32 cuts over the 8 month period and I think that will work out much much better for both parties.

AltaLawnCare
08-05-2001, 08:25 PM
Just one small question,....
Whats the difference between the 3rd and last choices??

I skip it when it dormant, (and very dry) I'm afraid of the grass getting damaged.

kutnkru
08-05-2001, 09:17 PM
Our contracts reflect two prices 32 cuts which we label as "bagged clippings" and a 28 cut season we label as "dispersed clippings".

All the client sees is the dollar amount, and then we divide that number by an 8 month season. Kinda like what guido said. :)

This way we know when to schedule the mowings, whether its every 10 days or every other week as needed.

ALTA

I would think that the 3rd option would be like you said, there will be no cutting until the grass is past a dormant state where it is plant effective to cut.

The 3rd option may also mean that if the grass goes to seed and the yard is full of the large straggely stems that you might cut it if it will make an improvement on the overall appearance of the property. :)

The final option would be that you would leave the property alone until the growing season commences once again after the lawns have begun to green up again.

Kris

bahiya
08-05-2001, 09:32 PM
I am in Southeast Georgia, and the growing season can last into December during warmer periods. I mow the St. Augustine later into the fall, and then taper off to maybe twice a month if it stays warm. Last year was a quick cool-down, and my yards really did not need mowing from mid-November until late-March (bummer). The dormant mowing does seem to clean-up the looks of the yard, but too much definitely makes the turf look weaker. I encourage my Centipede customers to overseed, but usually get only a few takers.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-06-2001, 06:16 AM
Thanks KutnKru for answering that question for me

You gave a little more technical answer than I would have done

jdseven
08-06-2001, 07:34 AM
If the lawn has not grown I do not mow. The trouble will letting the customer decide is they think growing one inch is not enough to cut. Then if it rains the next week your looking at a 4 inch cut.

Premo Services
08-06-2001, 07:53 AM
I was glad to see that the majority of professionals here voted that they wait until the lawns start to grow before they resume cutting ;)
I will wait until the grass starts to green up and grow. I see a lot of companies cutting dirt. That to me, is a serious waste of my time and equiptment Although, I do have two customers that love to see the stripes in their lawn, no matter if it is green or brown. I will cut them, unless the lawn is real dry and stressed.

jdseven[QUOTE]The trouble will letting the customer decide is they think growing one inch is not enough to cut.

I learned that lesson right after I bought this business. If you let them decide, they will wait until it gets extra high to cut, making it harder on you. You have to let them know that you are the professional, then most customers will let you decide what needs to be done.:D

awm
08-07-2001, 09:57 AM
THIS IS THE TIME WHEN I LOOK FOR LITTLE DETAILS THAT CAN IMPROVE THE OVERAL LOOK

kutnkru
08-22-2001, 09:34 AM
I agree with AWM.

If we are chargeing them for cuttings that we cannot offer I like to keep things fair. We will stop by and spend a half hour weeding the front beds, or give it a quick edge if there are some unsightly spots where the turf has begun to creep into the beds or onto the walks.

This also lets the client know that you are looking after their investment, and not just out to make some beer money between bar stops.

We have also found that if they need other services they may ask if you can do it since your not cutting. They think your without income although they get the bill monthly anyhow, and often try to find ways to give a little extra when they can during the drier months.

Last week we put up fencing for a 3 clients and it improved the overall scheme of things 100% for them. One client we even did an up-sell from $45 vinyl pvc panels to $100 cedar double sided dogear panels.

It was only 4 sections but $180 up to $400 is a big increase, plus the landscaping she had done in addition to spruce up her new fence.

johnhenry
08-22-2001, 01:00 PM
Hi Lawngodfather
I will only mow dormant lawns if the customer wants it. Are you pretty dry in St.Louis. Here in Branson the grass is getting browner by the minute.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-22-2001, 07:16 PM
Yep 2 weeks ago it was fine. But now even the IRR. lawns are frying