PDA

View Full Version : WEED ID and HELP PLEASE

Lost Pine
04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Attached is a Pic of a weed that I have in a LARGE lawn that I maintain. It is a grassy weed...THat is really all I know. This lawn is about 10,000sgft and about 10 % of it has this weed sporatically located throughout.

I need to get rid of it. What is your suggestion..? I think a spray of somekind would work best for me, I'll do anything ...

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Corsair made by riverdale will knock it out.

Lost Pine
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Corsair made by riverdale will knock it out.

And where can I get Corsair ? I live in N.J.

SOMM
04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
poa annua can be sprayed.

We'd tell this customer to cool their jets!
They don't see any dandilions or clover do they?

Good job on this transitional weed we all see for the next few weeks until it really gets sunny & scortcher.

this is a non-issue.
inform them.

DiyDave
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I think that's wheat or oatgrass, just keep cutting the lawn normally, it'll gradually disappear on its own as the season progresses.

bahamamills
04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Looks exactly like the grass/weed everyone is posting about this year and the only real solution I have heard is dig it up or round up it........

lawnspecialties
04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
I think that's wheat or oatgrass, just keep cutting the lawn normally, it'll gradually disappear on its own as the season progresses.

That's exactly what I thought.:)

MILSINC
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
poa annua. non-issue.

Lost Pine
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Why does everyone say, "non issue" ? Because it will die come HOT weather ? Hey, the customer wants it gone. She ain't going to accept, ": Non Issue" ! LOL ! :dizzy:

poa annua. non-issue.

tdf
04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Did you sow this lawn last fall using wheat straw?

Focal Point Landscapes
04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Diydave is right - that ain't poa.

ATVracer
04-26-2007, 12:45 AM
It is definately not poa annua.

Lost Pine
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Did you sow this lawn last fall using wheat straw?

NO ! But I did do an Overseeding.

DiyDave
04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Lost pine- a good salesman would recommend an application of di-hydrogen monoxide. Explain to the customer that it is slow to work, and should be effective in 2 months! Alternative would be roundup applied with a wick wiper, when the weed is taller than the rest of the grass around it,:cool2: :cool2:

Lost Pine
04-29-2007, 08:50 AM
I have identified it. It is green Foxtail. I guess it is considered a GRASSY WEED. Now, how do I get rid of it ! >?

poa annua. non-issue.

RigglePLC
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
My opinion, foxtail goes to seed about the same time as crabgrass--mid August here.

Weeds tend to occur in patches. Is it random, but fairly uniform number per square yard? If so, that is a sign of seed contamination. Check the seed label. 10 or 20 foreign seeds in each pound of new seed would cause this. Check the label. What was the quality of seed you applied? Is there any chance the seed bagging equipment was not fully cleaned between batches? Does you seed source sell wheat, oats, barley, birdseed? Show them this stuff.

Lost Pine
05-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Funny you should mention that. LAst year was the 1st year I used Lesco seed. This is the first year I've ever had a problem like this !

My opinion, foxtail goes to seed about the same time as crabgrass--mid August here.

Weeds tend to occur in patches. Is it random, but fairly uniform number per square yard? If so, that is a sign of seed contamination. Check the seed label. 10 or 20 foreign seeds in each pound of new seed would cause this. Check the label. What was the quality of seed you applied? Is there any chance the seed bagging equipment was not fully cleaned between batches? Does you seed source sell wheat, oats, barley, birdseed? Show them this stuff.

tamadrummer
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Lost pine- a good salesman would recommend an application of di-hydrogen monoxide. Explain to the customer that it is slow to work, and should be effective in 2 months! :cool2: :cool2:

I haven't had a good laugh in a long time. Just be careful with that stuff because it causes more deaths in a year than just about any other compound out there.

Good call though and I don't think you have to be a licensed applicator to apply di-hydrogen monoxide, do you? :hammerhead:

Sorry I cant be any help at all here....:cry:

Stillwater
05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
poa annua. non-issue.

Non Issue? ya.... OK......

White Gardens
05-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I think it's oat-grass, not foxtail. Foxtail is taller, warm season, and has a fluffy seed head.

Probably will need round-up, but you still might have it come back over time. Question I have is, where is it coming from. I'd look around the area and see where it's seeding out and spreading from. If there is an open field or weedy lot nearby, then your going to have it coming back all the time.

I've been having problems with a yard that has nut-sedge. (becoming a problem around here) That stuff stinks. Round-up only conrols it in the landscaping, and I hand weed the yard from time to time, instead of using sedge-hammer. Turns out he has a neighbor who has it every-where and doesn't do anything about it.

I know there is a chemical out there that will kill weedy grasses, and one that will hit fescues now. But, I've heard that it doesn't work that great, takes a long time, and you only end up controlling it.