PDA

View Full Version : What are friends for?

Chuck Sinclair
08-05-2001, 05:29 PM
What are friends for?

Last week I loaned my 21" Honda HRC216 to my best friend (I have known him since 3rd grade)
he returned the mower on Sunday morning since I needed to mow my lawn. After he left I went out to help my kids mow my daughter started it up and went to mowing all the while I thinking that does not sound right and the lawn looks like crap! when she got done mowing I said stand on the handle so I can look under the mower, well the blade looked like -~- this bent in the middle of one side. At this point I'm pissed and call him up and tell him you bent my blade and my crank shaft what are you going to do about it are you going to fix it?

His response
I didn't do it my son mowed the lawn not me. Then his women friend said I heard Bruce hit something when he was mowing but I'm not sure what (Turned out to be an 8" rock) he also stated that he had no money to repair it for me because he is on welfare.

BOTTOM LINE DO NOT LOAN EQUIPMENT OUT TO ANYONE!!

Guido
08-05-2001, 05:47 PM
ADD this one on to the fire........

Its said all the time, but I think it takes a big personal screw to realize that its a good idea!

Sorry, but as long as you learned your lesson, it was a good day, right? :)

Just Turned Pro
08-05-2001, 06:30 PM
Bummer.... My 216 Weeps for you:cry:

Premo Services
08-05-2001, 06:59 PM
What are friends for?

Friends are for enjoying a beer with, going fishing, helping with a job around the house, you know, same ol, same ol, BUT NEVER TO LET THEM USE YOUR EQUIPTMENT THAT YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: This is a good way to find out that they didn`t give a *&^%#@#* about you, or your equiptment.
I have a neighbor that wants real bad to use my echo pole pruner for limbs in his yard. I don`t think there would be a problem with him fixing it if he messed it up, but my concern is that the pole pruner will injure him, then where am I. Up that certain creek without a paddle!!!! No I told him the pruner wasn`t working right and he should go rent one at the rental store. I made a rule years ago, BOTTOM LINE DO NOT LOAN EQUIPMENT OUT TO ANYONE!! This guy is bothering me so much that I had to say it is not working, also we help each other when we need some help with things and I would like to stay on friendly terms with him.
Sorry that you had to learn the lesson the hard way

lawnboy82
08-05-2001, 08:10 PM
if your buddy is on welfare, then he should have plenty of time to work it off, right? just a thought

eslawns
08-05-2001, 09:31 PM
if your buddy is on welfare, then he should have plenty of time to work it off, right? just a thought

Somebody's been reading my mind :eek: That's kinda scary!

I have 2 suggestions:

1. Don't mow for family, friends, or neighbors.

2. Don't lend equipment to anybody.

... and I have PO'd all 3 over both things

awm
08-05-2001, 09:48 PM
it seems to me a friendship since grade school would be more important than a mower blade. still the standard rules about loaning to friends apply. dont do it unless you decide ahead of time that if this happens it wont hurt your friendship.
these are my thoughts on the matter. later TM

Cleve
08-05-2001, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by eslawns
[i]I have 2 suggestions:
Excellent rules. But it's too bad that there is no good way to say no when asked if you will loan them something. I generally just say that the equipment is part of our business and we just cna't take any chances with it.
I do mow for family, friends, and neighbors but only as a favor. I never charge any of them. Family is a regular thing as my wife's and my parnets are elderly. Friends and neighbors are done as thanks for something they might do special for us.
Cleve.

Ssouth
08-06-2001, 12:10 AM
Just had one of my best friend move back into town. Instead of letting him borrow a mower, I gave him an old Crapsman that I had never used. He was greatful and I got it out of my storage space. Plus, I will never have to mow his lawn or let him borrow my mowers because I gave him one. I know he would take care of my equip. but I'd rather give him a cheap mower than to let him borrow a real mower.

I will mow as a favor but only if I'm running my equip. so I can make sure it's used properly.

Rooster
08-06-2001, 12:27 AM
Two other thoughts.

1. Get a depost for replacement.

or

2. Don't plan on getting any thing back you loan in working condition, so consider it a donation.

parkwest
08-06-2001, 12:45 AM
We have a rule:

If family or friends want to borrow something, I will send over one of my boys to do it. That way we don't have to worry about the equipment.

Sammy
08-06-2001, 01:03 AM
I loaned a freind a Farmall Super M so he could plow some gardens for his family.
It came back in a basket.

NEVER AGAIN !:angry:

vipermanz
08-06-2001, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by eslawns

Somebody's been reading my mind :eek: That's kinda scary!

I have 2 suggestions:

I Truly Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-06-2001, 04:12 AM
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MOWER.I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT. IF A VERY CLOSE FRIEND WANTS TO BORROW A TOOL OR SOMETHING, I TELL THEM STRAIGHT OUT JUST RETURN THE EQUIPMENT THE SAME WAY YOU RECIEVED IT.I WOULD GET THE MOWER FIXED AND TELL HIM TO MAKE SMALL PAYMENTS OR HAVE HIM WORK IT OFF. IF HE GIVES YOU THE RUN AROUND THEN I WOULD NICELY BACK OUT OF THAT FRIENDSHIP.I ONLY LIKE TO DEAL WITH HONORABLE PEOPLE. WHO HAS TIME FOR BULLSH..
YOU COULD GET A NEW HONDA AT HOME DEPOT FOR ABOUT$500.00 GOOD LUCK..

Cleve
08-06-2001, 12:09 PM
I don't think he will find that mower at Home Depot. I believe they only sell the Harmony model for homeowners. That mower will be at least $750 at a Honda dealer.
Cleve.

jdseven
08-06-2001, 12:24 PM
I never loan my equipment. Just give them the phone # for Taylor Rental

Remsen1
08-06-2001, 01:06 PM
I always have my Dad or friends asking me to borrow my truck. Instead of letting them borrow it, I drive it for them and help them with whatever they are doing.

Problem with my dad is he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong with my truck, but he doesn't practice the same standards of care that I do, ie, drive very slowly on bumpy dirt roads, go easy on the breaks and slow down before stopping, knock the mud off your shoes befor you get in, don't smoke in it. Thinks like that irritate me and I don't take immaculate care of my truck just to have somebody else trash it.

crazygator
08-07-2001, 12:21 AM
Friends should be just that, friends. The only thing they should be allowed to borrow is your time, or you yourself and nothing else. All the above stories prove my point!

Paradise Yard Service
08-07-2001, 04:55 AM
The HRC I bought a couple years ago cost me $1000. This is a painful story to read. I hope all things get straightened out esp. the friendship.

Aloha,

P.Y.S.

cos
08-07-2001, 06:52 AM
PYS,

I have a similar story to tell, but much longer and don't wish to tell it, cause I just get mad anytime I think about it.

I learned a valuable lesson! Never again is right!

Chuck Sinclair
08-07-2001, 09:34 AM
Thanks for you reply's
The new mower was $869.00 (I have a good dealer) The
friendship is still intact he just wont be asking to borrow anything any more. What pissed me off the most is he never said (I'm sorry) so now I have a brand new mower and a rebuilt one and life continues. :p

thelawnguy
08-07-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Sammy
I loaned a freind a Farmall Super M so he could plow some gardens for his family.
It came back in a basket.

I really would like to know how anyone could kill one of those tanks...explanation, please???

Lawn DOG
08-08-2001, 12:24 AM
Don't even ask!

NO!

Which part of NO don't you understand?!

simple as that.

bobbygedd
08-11-2001, 08:51 PM
when i was in my early 20's i bought a brand new boat, cost me $11,000. i used to take my "best buddy" fishin all the time, well this one time i couldnt go as planned cus i had to work o.t. at my job, so i loaned this guy the boat. well, when i came home from work i couldnt believe my eyes, "was this my brand new boat?" completely wrecked! windshield out of wack, radio hanging on by a thread, fish guts and blood everywhere, scratched, scraped, cigarette butts on the carpet, just a wreck, it wasnt even put on the trailer properly. when i called he said they got hit with some rough water and got knocked around, he said it was too cold out to clean it, and as for the repairs to the damage, it was not his fault, so he would not help fix them. called 2 days later, told him to clean the damn thing, he said it was not HIS boat, y should he clean it. havnt spoken to him since. i will loan nothing ever again!

lawnboy82
08-11-2001, 09:05 PM
sounds like a job for "luigi's limb and loan" i loana you mya money, mya equipament. you breaka it, you no a paya me a back, i breaka you limbs