PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad for you cats that have to use PVC...

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
sorry....

KYS STAT

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
For the trencher only guys (Heavy clay and rock), PVC is much easier to work with than poly.

Up here, we could use either, but we plow PVC. There are a lot of reasons, but at this point its beating a dead horse to debate it. Do a search and you'll see.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
i know just messing around..

it all depends on where/what your putting in the ground...I just think it would suck to use all that primer/cement in a trench on the regular..

I mean im just lucky to use the poly pipe...

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Dirty water i take it your from seattle?

pulling pvc now that seems like a task...do you weld your connections the night before? and do you do all that minimizing your pipe sizes?

obv you dont mainfold correct?

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I did manifold. 3-4 valves per manifold. Pull mains and wire conduit at the same time.

We used a very hot glue. Ready to pull in about 5 minutes time from glueing.

We also did the oldschool practice of reducing pipe size. Even on major projects that had 4" mains they would still end at 3/4" by the last head. We used to go down to 1/2", but eliminating that last size saved a lot of room in the trucks in fittings, and 1/2" pipe sucks anyways.,

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
whoa......thats some serious water...4 inch pvc...What was a ballpark on those gallons? now out west you putt conduit with the wire? how come?
sorry about the questions..I always want to learn as much as possible in the field..the more you know>the more you make..

are you a residential or a Commercial kinda guy?

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
4" was commercial, for condo complexes or community water systems.

We did both.

The reason for the conduit is that we used multistrand, and I prefer to fish it through a 1/2" class pipe conduit instead of taping it to the pipe and dragging it along in our rocky ground.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
im not keen on those terrain up there in WA..i assume serious rock in the gound...we tie wire usually 13 strand around the chains on the witch and then use some highpower duct tape to secure it...works ok but we have had some problems...
multistranding=?

again whats the average wage for a guy with a few years exp around there..

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Laborer with a few years exp = $13-$14

Foreman = $15-$20.

I was a foreman. Thats why I don't do it anymore.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:55 PM
dam thats dirt pay...I started a few years ago @ 14 as a laborer...

now i run the witch,wire the mainfolds,trouble shoot problems,service work, ad ons ect...my next step in my jedi irrigation training is gettin my feet wet as estimator..
Right now i make about 18 an hr....minimal OT....maybe 8 +...I really want to get into working on sundays....I dont blame ya...my boss gets salary @ around 50 K a year...

we call it irrigation or Irritation.....takes a toll on the body...I guess you could call me a foreman...but im sick of it....i hate holding other peoples hands/fixing their mistakes...

well dirty water its nice to meet ya...Im not really a ****** i just dont care about my spelling/grammer errors (as show) is that something i should really focus on if i want to continue posting on this site?

you seem cool....thanks for being friendly

PurpHaze
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
whoa......thats some serious water...4 inch pvc...What was a ballpark on those gallons?

Another dinky pipe guy I take it? :laugh:

LCPullman
04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
If I had to trench my systems I would definately want to use PVC, thats a lot easier than trying to keep the coiled black stuff straight in a trench.