PDA

View Full Version : should I try it?

matt spinniken
04-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I just hired a guy for my lawn maintenance company that has 7 years experience as a foreman for a well established irrigation company. Anyways, I am thinking about trying to get a couple irrigation installs and see how they go now that I have a experienced helper. Does this sound like a good plan, what are your opinions?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I say do it.........what do you have to loose...

start off small and go bigger......what you guys use to plow pipe?

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
What design experience do you have? As has been said many times on this forum, "Any monkey can slap pipe together." :)

matt spinniken
04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
I personally have no irrigation design experience. He claims he has done many designs. Do people usually measure everything and then draw out where the zones will be? I think I will talk to a few customers of mine who might be interested and let them know that this will be the buisnesses first irrigation job and give them a reduced price.

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 01:57 AM
I can usually design a system with a 100' tape on the spot.

Ed G
04-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Do people usually measure everything and then draw out where the zones will be? I think I will talk to a few customers of mine who might be interested and let them know that this will be the buisnesses first irrigation job and give them a reduced price.

Don't go to my irrigation distributor and buy parts while I'm there. I'll give you dirty looks.

bicmudpuppy
04-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, the down side. Your only irrigation ability is with one EMPLOYEE. Are you sure your not going to get held hostage to this one employee if things get bad. Missunderstanding happen for lots of reasons. Your relationship is new. I did just this to an oufit in DFW because they wouldn't let me fire a crew. My reason was a bag of mexican oregano on the truck, but again, lots of things cause missunderstandings. Next, are you sure of the guys abilities? if your good with these negatives, then I say your good to go. Lots of irrigation outfits have started in worse shape. I can design a yard with or without a map in about 20 min just pacing. If I need a "design", then the map and notes need another hour or two on a table in a nice clean environment. BUT, I can put together a materials list from the notes and give you pricing info from that 15-20min on site.

Greenguy1
04-26-2007, 08:16 AM
It has been my experience that the potential employee knows more than he or she can do, applicants today are highly experienced at job apps.and interviews, give them a layout of a yard with drive, walks and house and see if they can figure it out at 12 gpm. with 7 yrs exp. they should know how unless all they did was dig and connect, and you can train an ape to do that so 7 yrs experience means nothing to me, be careful, why isn't he on his own if he has all this knowledge and experience? that is a common thing for employees in this field after about 7 years unless they get with a large Co. that deals with Golf courses and very large projects.

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Don't go to my irrigation distributor and buy parts while I'm there. I'll give you dirty looks.

Suuurre Ed... Now that you have your secret decoder ring... :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
... you can train an ape to do that...

Actually... apes' hands are a little too big and clumsy. I'd prefer monkeys since they're faster. :laugh:

Remote Pigtails
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Would that be HD?:laugh:

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Would that be HD?:laugh:

Ooh, ooh..... low blow. I bet Ed will offer a quality comeback. :laugh:

Ed G
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
nah, no comeback necessary, that WAS a good one.

actually, I bet a lot of you shop for parts at HD and won't dare admit it.

Their prices on 12" deep valve boxes are cheaper than any irrigation supply house I've been in and they are always open when one needs more fittings and more pvc cement.

bicmudpuppy
04-26-2007, 12:59 PM
nah, no comeback necessary, that WAS a good one.

actually, I bet a lot of you shop for parts at HD and won't dare admit it.

Their prices on 12" deep valve boxes are cheaper than any irrigation supply house I've been in and they are always open when one needs more fittings and more pvc cement.

Sheeeiiiiit, I'll admit it. I won't buy an actual sprinkler or such in there, but glue and primer? beats a long drive, sch 40 fittings? why not, they've got better prices than the plumb house most times. I've even bought 10' sticks of pipe when pipe prices go stupid and all I need are repair size pieces!

Not to mention getting to shop for kewl tools :)

PurpHaze
04-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Besides... there's more soccer moms at HD than at an irrigation supplier. :)