PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Irrigation lines and wires. QUESTION

CrewCutEnterprises
04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, well this is the 3rd house this month we have hit either a line or the wires comming from the house.

What is the code or the depth that they should be burried?? We hit these with a bed edger, they were burried at about 2 to 3 inches deep.

Should I have this problem, also how do you fix the piping, and the wiring.

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 11:09 PM
No code for those. Even properly buried lines can wiggle their way towards the surface with enough freeze and thaw cycles.

Mdirrigation
04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
There is no code for sprinkler line depth in Maryland.

When you attempt to repair a sprinkler , remember this just about every contractor in the Annapolis area warranties their system orthe customer has a service policy on their sprinkler system. IF yo attempt a repair You could VOID the customers warranty . This could cost you a lot more than the money you save by fixing it yourself . I have over 700 customers in Anne Arundel county and this happens monthly . Remember your lawn maintenance customer may be My irrigation customer . I dont go after the lawn work

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 08:49 AM
What kind of wiring was only this deep?

Wet_Boots
04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Zone wires? I think it is kind of irresponsible to install pipe and wires within reach of normal landscaping work. I'll have a trench for the lines and wires made deeper where it crosses the edge of a bed. Doesn't mean the beds can't be enlarged , to where the edge now lies over shallower pipes and wire.

CrewCutEnterprises
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Customer said it was done by MVP..

these were the multi color wires. 8 or so.

Also I wouldent fix for a fee, I would do it for free. But I dont do them nore plan on it, I just wanted to know why they were so shallow.

There is no code for sprinkler line depth in Maryland.

When you attempt to repair a sprinkler , remember this just about every contractor in the Annapolis area warranties their system orthe customer has a service policy on their sprinkler system. IF yo attempt a repair You could VOID the customers warranty . This could cost you a lot more than the money you save by fixing it yourself . I have over 700 customers in Anne Arundel county and this happens monthly . Remember your lawn maintenance customer may be My irrigation customer . I dont go after the lawn work

Mdirrigation
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Customer said it was done by MVP..

I just wanted to know why they were so shallow.

When you say MVP that explains it . Underground to them means covered by dirt .

A very simple clause to put in your lawn maintenance contracts is to tell the customer that you will not be responsible for any burried pipes or wires that arent at least 4 inches deep .

PurpHaze
04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
If you cut clean through conduit and wiring probably the best way to fix the whole thing is to put a junction box together. You can repair the conduit and then the wiring.

bicmudpuppy
04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
If you cut clean through conduit and wiring probably the best way to fix the whole thing is to put a junction box together. You can repair the conduit and then the wiring.

If its an older system, I would agree. If it is a newer install, and the installer is still in the picture, then stick them with it. Sod over pipe or wires is shoddy work that should be called.