PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need?

fire228
04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Myself and a buddy of mine are starting a part time lawn business for the days we do not work our main jobs. We have about 30 yards per week to take care of. Do we need a business license and insurance or not?

CoreyD
04-25-2007, 11:26 PM
its probly good to have insurance incase you break a window or somthing... i dont have insurance..... but im really careful been good so far lol....and for the license.... i dont know

Grits
04-25-2007, 11:41 PM
YES! Breaking a window should be the least of your worries. Things a lot worse than that happen. Definitely get insurance and a license. A license is dirt cheap and insurance is relatively cheap. Don't forget to pay taxes. Also, please don't lowball, some of us do this as our only job and count on it to feed our families. That can be hard when other "companies" lower their prices too much. Find out what the going rate is in your area and charge accordingly.....a little higher would be better.
Let me guess, you are a fireman?

Grits
04-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I jsut noticed you are in Florida. What part?
I'm in the panhandle.

Ric3077
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
get a biz license, get insurance, pay taxes and charge accordingly...do it right or don't do it at all

fire228
04-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Let me guess, you are a fireman?

LOL, you got it!

Actually in Pensacola.

So how do I go about getting a license and what do I need to do about paying taxes? How does all of that go.
Oh, and for the low bidding, dont worry, lol. We charge a little higher than others because there is alot of work out there, if they dont want to pay then there are plenty of others that will ;)

green-pa
04-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, how do u go about getting a biz liscence and insurance?

Charles
04-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I hit a high dollar car going down the road with a rock. The rock hit the deflector on the deck and bounced up and hit the BMW. Good thing I had insurance

fire228
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I went down and got the license, only $13 a year! Now I have to call on Monday and get ins. Shouldnt be to bad :)

:dancing:

Grits
04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
LOL, you got it!

Actually in Pensacola.

So how do I go about getting a license and what do I need to do about paying taxes? How does all of that go.
Oh, and for the low bidding, dont worry, lol. We charge a little higher than others because there is alot of work out there, if they dont want to pay then there are plenty of others that will ;)

I'm in Gulf Breeze!
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with the info that you needed. Since you have the license, you obviously don't need to know how to do that. But now you are going to get insurance. Shop around. There can be BIG differences in cost. I pay around $580 per year. Also, GET AN ACCOUNTANT!!!!!!!! Trust me on this. I got an accountant this year and i wished I would've got one from the beginning. Like has been said many times before....."An accountant doesn't cost you money, he saves you money". Hell, a good one can make you money.

fire228
04-27-2007, 11:08 PM
This is actually the part that gets me. How do I go about the whole "Tax" process? What exactly do I need to do? I know taxes have to be claimed somehow but I have no clue on what to do.
All info is helpful!

Thanks! :cool2:

cks dad
04-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Meet with aan accountant and they will set everything up for you.

fiveoboy01
04-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Yep, get an accountant. They know all the stuff about what you're asking. I don't, lol. That's why I have one, she keeps the financial stuff in order, handles all the forms/deductions/expenses etc at tax time, and takes care of all the IRS stuff I don't understand:)

tlipari
04-29-2007, 09:25 AM
what kind of insurance companies insure landscapers or lawn service people? I hear you can do it through your homeowners, but when I inquired with mine, they said they don't. Licensing comes through your city in which you live? Or where your customers are located. 90% of my customers are in a high end district of town that consists of 5 burroughs. Each of these burroughs wants $250 a season for the luxury of cutting lawns in their community. These licenses also conveniently expire in July of each year....so basically, I'd be paying $2,000 a season!!!!!!

terrapro
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
90% of my customers are in a high end district of town that consists of 5 burroughs. Each of these burroughs wants $250 a season for the luxury of cutting lawns in their community. These licenses also conveniently expire in July of each year....so basically, I'd be paying $2,000 a season!!!!!!
what?! thats bullspit :usflag:

tlipari
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Agreed terrapro!! Agreed!! It's the kind of thing that can make a honest businsessman a dishonest businessman, but I try not to get discouraged. A good reputation is hard to come by!!

Ric3077
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
My biz license is $50 a year

topsites
04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
You do need a business license and insurance, with that many customers it would be around high time.

Once you get insurance, you'll want to be careful of the occasional free loaders, more folks out there who want to file a claim for no other reason than they think it's free money (and will try and hold you responsible for everything under the sky).

I hit a high dollar car going down the road with a rock. The rock hit the deflector on the deck and bounced up and hit the BMW. Good thing I had insurance

Yeah, but here we're not responsible for road debris, I've had one or two try to tell me the rock my tire kicked up cracked their windshield and it was gonna cost 100's... I simply said 'next time dont ride my bumper' (more so if they were) or simply 'I am sorry but that is not my fault.' Because I've had an 18-wheeler going the other way throw up a rock and crack mine from 2 lanes away (more than once), but still that's just tough luck, the driver of a vehicle is not and can not be held responsible for this (thou some will try). You can usually get a used windshield installed for around $150 total, or get a crack repair kit if it's not too big.

Now if the rock had been inside my trailer and it fell out, that would be different.
A thick skin helps.

tlipari
04-29-2007, 10:48 AM
The question I have is: do you need a business license for the city in which your business is located? Or where your doing your business?(customer locations) Or both?

razor1
04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
This is actually the part that gets me. How do I go about the whole "Tax" process? What exactly do I need to do? I know taxes have to be claimed somehow but I have no clue on what to do.
All info is helpful!

Thanks! :cool2:

They are right ,definitely get a CPA. And in the mean time, save all business receipts and records etc.

Grits
04-29-2007, 08:18 PM
The question I have is: do you need a business license for the city in which your business is located? Or where your doing your business?(customer locations) Or both?

You need a license for wherever you are cutting.

echeandia
04-29-2007, 09:43 PM

I live in a county with a few small towns. My business is located in one of the towns and I have a license from my town. I called the county and one of the towns in my service area. Neither of them required the license. They said I only need a license for my business location not my service area. This may be different for large companies but for me I only needed the one.

robbo521
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
in my county,license are not required.but if you go in the small town you need them.

Turfinator1
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
What kind of license do you guys obtain in Florida? Occupational License?

BQLC
04-30-2007, 04:29 PM

this could vary depending on what state you are in.

MOWEMJEFF
04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
If you're getting a license through your city of operaion then that would mean your a sole-proprietorship right? In order to be an LLC or corporation then you would have to do it through the state which is probably the best way to go anyways right? It is $10 in Maine in the city your located in either way and $50 to register in state or local but the only people who enforce the laws on us landscapers is the MAINEDOT who just want to make sure everything is strapped down ESPECIALLY your gas cans!!!!Are you guys mostly sole-prop or LLCs or bigger?