PDA

View Full Version : Renting a roto tiller, what size?

JE LAWN CARE
04-26-2007, 02:41 AM
1; Gonna be laying sod for the first time in 2 weeks and i was wondering which size to rent?
6 hp/$55.00 a day
16hp/$99.00 a day
Im doing a back yard. It has no grass or weeds, just dirt. 1000sq ft.

2;Also, do I rototill the ground before puting in the top soil and then rototill it together?
or do i add the top soil on top of the dirt and then rototill everything together?

Thanks a lot. Im new on this business and so far, this site has been very helpfull.

Turf Troll
04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I suppose it depends how hard the ground is and what the soil is like where your tilling to both questions.

If I had never used a tiller before I would rent the big one for the full day and use it somewhere else before you start tilling someones lawn.

If you go to your county's cooperative extension office they can give you all the information you would want on the proper methods.

I would till and add soil and till,
if there was some reason to do it.

rockandroller
04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Actually i think you should get the smaller of the two to get used to it. It might take a little longer, but you may be able to handle it a bit better.

In regard to the soil....I would mix the new topsoil in with the old and till it all up together. No need to till it twice. Just go at it well the first time. My 2 cents....Good luck