PDA

View Full Version : Need help with trailer tire type

GLLawns
04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey all I really need some help deciding what tires to put on my trailer.The trailer is 6.5 x 16ft Tandem axle, trailer weight empty is 1750 lbs, brakes on one axle, 7000 lbs capacity. Currently there are 4 bald automotive tires on it and they look like they are going to pop when trailer is loaded. The size of the tires on now are 205 x 65 x 15 mounted on steel wheels with a 5 lug pattern. I plan on ordering new off ebay if price is alot better then local.

1) Should I put on 225 x 75 x 15 since that is what the vin tag says is on there?
2) What load range, ply, radial, or bias? There are too many choices and I'm confused on what this all means.
3) I heard that there is a special measurement from lug to lug that you also need to have, How do I measure for this?
4) As said above the wheels have a 5 lug pattern. I usually only have My mowers trimmers etc...on there but very rarely put 2-3 yards of mulch or debris from cleanups on there.
5) I would actually like to get the whole tire new wheel combo that way it is all new and I can bolt on and go myself.I have seen prices on ebay for 4 new wheel and tire combos, 5 lug 225 x 75 x 15 load range c 2150lbs each tire for $400.00 that includes the freight. Does this sound like a fair price?

Sorry about all the questions but I have no idea what to get and don't want to screw myself with the wrong tires. Thanks again for all the help Brian

Rizzo
04-26-2007, 10:17 PM
It would be much cheaper to get load C or D trailer tires mounted and balanced locally unless you really need new rims. Load C or D tires will be fine for what you are describing don't worry about the ply just the rating. The lug pattern is measured across the lug holes or studs on the rims or hubs. You will see a huge difference by switching from the car tires to trailer tires. Stiffer sidewalls and better wear. Go with the recommended size on the trailer plate.

topsites
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I get nothing less than B-rated radial tires for my 6 x 12 anymore, and here's why:

- Forget bias-ply, they blow and bloat and are plain dangerous.
- Nowhere near the ballooning, even when loaded to the gills, this makes the tire itself last a LOT longer = they pay for themselves once or twice over. About $20 / tire goes into labor (mount and balance), so $40 per tire change adds up, too, if a tire lasts even 1.5 times as long it might be worth the extra initial outlay.
- With B-rated tires, I can overload my trailer and the axle will break before the tires give out. Not that I want this, but tires are my biggest thing.
- When a B-rated tire goes flat, the sidewall is stiff enough to drive on for several miles, it ruins the tire but it doesn't actually run flat, that is, on a fairly empty trailer... Might not sound like a big deal, but it saved my tail last year (before I got the spare mounted), the tire was already ruined anyhow because I didn't notice until my trailer swerved a little... I made it home on like 5 psi lol but the tire never shredded or flew apart and it rode like it had more air in it.

Now my 6x12 calls for C-rated, so the logic here is one rating higher.
Yup, spend the extra and get radial, one load rating higher than what you need.
The cost is higher, but they last at least 2x as long, unless you overload frequently.

mini14
04-29-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=trailer%20tires&Nty=1&D=trailer%20tires&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Rizzo
04-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Actually, B rated tires are lower than C or D. The higher the letter the heavier weight capacity on the tire. Thats why heavy trucks use D or E rated tires. Compare the information on the sidewalls. B tires are to squishy for most trailer applications and will most likely not even be rated to hold what the axle is rated for. Tire letter ratings are no secret so just look online if you want to verify this info. Weight ratings for a trailer or truck tire should not be confused with speed ratings or wear ratings.

GLLawns
05-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I did find a local dealer that has Carlisle load range D, listed at $70.00 + tax each tire, and that includes the installation. Hopefully I'll have time this week to get done.

Rizzo
05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Thats the way to go. If you add up the total capacity for the 4 D rated tires you should be around 10,000 pounds. Since that is over your axle rating you will find the tires will not wear as fast and will maintain thier shape when loaded. Much safer also. Good luck!

GLLawns
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Just got my trailer back from tire dealer and it only cost me $300.00 total for all four tires. I got the D rated Carlisle brand. One thing that I didn't think about though was how much taller the trailer would be switching from auto tires to actual trailer tires. Now I have to get gate cut down a little so that it will fit into my shop. I had to lay gate down on snowmobile dollies and back in, then get out, put gate back up, then finish backing trailer in. Guess this will force me to get gate fixed now since it was damaged last year around the hinge area. Now they will just cut off the damaged end and pop on some new hinges. Anyways the new tires make a huge difference with the ride of the trailer, feels much safer and no more screeching tires going around corners.