PDA

View Full Version : Already too late for full time?

ercrvs24
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
I lost my full time job and need to jump in full time and fast. what are some great ways to get volumes of customers fast? is it already too late? do newspaper ads really work?/ door hangers?/ discounts? need help fast. soon to be hungry family. thanks.

Scottscape
04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
It's hard to get in fast. But if I were you, I would try the cinci newspaper and run it for a month, probably the fastest and most effective advertisement in your situation. In the meantime I'd be working day labor through manpower or something similiar. Hope this helps. Good luck man!

B&E
04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I lost my full time job and need to jump in full time and fast. what are some great ways to get volumes of customers fast? is it already too late? do newspaper ads really work?/ door hangers?/ discounts? need help fast. soon to be hungry family. thanks.

I know exactly what your going through. Thought I would do lawn maintenance part time this year then get into it full time next year,until the company I work for was sold and all employees were let go.....Just like you I am finding myself trying to get into lawn maintenance FAST,and I am not having much luck. Two mortgages, Four kids and a sick wife, I too would LOVE to have as much info as possible.

Grits
04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
I doubt you will be able to get enough customers to work a 40 hour week. Maybe do as much as you can with the lawns and work an evening job.

txgrassguy
04-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Tough situation to be in.
While I do not know the Ohio market, in general it may prove to be a long
road to acquire enough work as fast as you want.
I would caution against "desperation" tactics as these will often backfire and cause you to loose more money than you are receiving.
I would suggest news paper advertisement but do not overlook the local Chamber of Commerce, professional nursery's, local feed store - in short anywhere you can advertise then advertise.

Wells
04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
If your in the position to do so I would look at buying another company out, it's going to be your quickest way of going fulltime in this industry.

willretire@40
04-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Pass out fliers every chance you get. It is a numbers game. You can do it as long as your market will support it. Don't be lazy and the work will come a flying at you as long as you are getting your name out there. I have heard that newspapers really do work as far as getting you calls. Dont go way out of your way to do jobs. Pick an area and stay in it. Flyers dont always work the first time around so 2 weeks later hit the same area again.

daveintoledo
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I doubt you will be able to get enough customers to work a 40 hour week. Maybe do as much as you can with the lawns and work an evening job.

nothing wrong with working another job while you get established, it really may take two or three or even four years to get enough work to go full time..... ohio is very economically depressed...good luck

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Offer a free mow or two with every referal...and put a flier on your clients neighbors doors who look like they can afford it or don't enjoy doing it themselves. Don't waste your time with people you know can't afford it. Check Craig's list everyday for labor jobs theres always a couple new ones daily. This is my first year full time too and I only have about 12-15 hours of work and looking to double that. Don't be afraid to lowball jobs where you already have jobs, if you just have to walk 2 houses down from where you already are why not settle for 25$ instead of 35$ you're already there. I also tell my female clients anything they need a truck for to call me....or if they need their pipes cleaned(wink wink):laugh:

Darrin A.
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Offer a free mow or two with every referal...and put a flier on your clients neighbors doors who look like they can afford it or don't enjoy doing it themselves. Don't waste your time with people you know can't afford it. Check Craig's list everyday for labor jobs theres always a couple new ones daily. This is my first year full time too and I only have about 12-15 hours of work and looking to double that. Don't be afraid to lowball jobs where you already have jobs, if you just have to walk 2 houses down from where you already are why not settle for 25$ instead of 35$ you're already there. I also tell my female clients anything they need a truck for to call me....or if they need their pipes cleaned(wink wink):laugh:

I totally understand what you are saying here I really do, but, when customer #1 ($35) talks to customer #2 ($25) (assuming about the same size job) you will prolly loose customer #1 due to the lower price. Then you're stuck doing a $35 lawn for $25 and it's the only one on the street. That's just my idea on that subject. I have thought about that for a while now.
I am going to try to go full time soon too. I am offering 5th cut free with contract and if you leave before 10/31/07, you get billed for the free cut. I will make up coupons for my customers to give out with my cards for them to get free cuts for referals too. Thanks for the idea on that.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I totally understand what you are saying here I really do, but, when customer #1 ($35) talks to customer #2 ($25) (assuming about the same size job) you will prolly loose customer #1 due to the lower price. Then you're stuck doing a $35 lawn for $25 and it's the only one on the street. That's just my idea on that subject. I have thought about that for a while now.
I am going to try to go full time soon too. I am offering 5th cut free with contract and if you leave before 10/31/07, you get billed for the free cut. I will make up coupons for my customers to give out with my cards for them to get free cuts for referals too. Thanks for the idea on that.

You got a good point there. From now on I'll be sure tell the second customer to keep our dealings to themselves if they want that price. Hopefully the $35 guy will want a little discount and not drop you, a little discount is worth it if it means never having to load up your trailer to do 2 jobs.