PDA

View Full Version : Trailer gate running lights

topsites
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I've been dreaming about this plan for some time, the cost of the lights slowed me down considerably ($100 all in all) but I finally did it, they act as flashers and brake lights, too. I hooked them to the inside of the gate so they're protected by the steel, unfortunately they were about 1/2 inch too long so they bend a little but I was just glad I got them to fit, anyhow:

(the truck needs some next lol)

lifetree
04-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice, very nice !!

TriPLandscaping
04-26-2007, 09:09 PM
are those the line of fires that go underneath your tailgate? Good idea looks good

unit40
04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Awsome....now get the accent lights underneath it.

topsites
04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
are those the line of fires that go underneath your tailgate? Good idea looks good

Yes, they are those tailgate runners but I have a few heads up if you're thinking about it:

- Get the 49" ones, that's what I have, the 60" would be way too long.
- Obviously, get two (they're almost $50 each lol).
- When installing, both the right AND left signal light wire go to that side's signal light wire so the whole bar lights up! Yes, the bar is made for a horizontal runner and 'splits' in the center, but I hooked up both left and right to one wire on each side and so it works.
- Then there's the ground and the running light wire.
- Don't forget to wipe that tailgate down with Windex and some paper towels lol so the sticky stuff holds.
> I suppose you could screw it / bolt it on, but I HATE drilling through steel anymore.

Here's the pita part:
These line of fires are one of a kind, really not intended as a left and right assembly, I found out the one on the right fit perfect.
But the one on the left, the lights were backwards (actually the wire came out on top (meaning top of gate when closed), and I couldn't see how I was going to run the wires OR hook up the stupid bar so it would still show, it was a bit of a logistical funny:
> I had to carefully pull out the entire LED diode lighted electronic bar from inside the red plastic sleeve, turn it around and slide it back in: VERY tricky, I almost broke it! Just have to be careful, take your time doing this.

It all depends, of course you might get it vice versa where the left side fits but the right one is backwards, all depends which way you want them facing, but be aware of this one-way conway nonsense lol.

TriPLandscaping
04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I remember looking in one of my truck accessories catalog, i saw they had shorter ones that were intended for running one one the left and one on the
right.
Here they are very veryexpensive
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.aspx/partid/482324/partfamilyid/1484/subcategoryid/160/categoryid/26

vaughnslawns
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM
i have the tailgate one... was thinking of puting one at the top of the trailor top rail ramp. tuck it in the L angle I love led lites:dancing:

RedMax Man
04-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I've been thinking of putting a 60" LED bar below my trailer gate. I'd use the same ones that go below truck tailgate and they do work for trailers also. Looks cool.
I'm always banging up the lights that are on the sides so if i had the lights also below the tail gate they won't get damaged.

topsites
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, one of my biggest complaints about my trailer was the OEM lights are tucked up by the wheels... Now people aren't supposed to ride your butt yet they do it, and when they get too close to me they can't see those lights because the rear hides them (and they about run into me when I go to turn).

I originally mounted some $20 lights at the bottom of the gate, slightly tucked in and when the gate comes down they are underneath... Either set of lights creates a visible light for those behind me, and I did notice with gate lights that once I put on my turn signal, the tailgaters tend to back off, that was one reason I did this. Yes, it does help, not 100% guarantee they won't get too close, but it helps.

The OEM lights, I've cracked two in 5 years, not too bad but I agree they're not the greatest for location / durability (cost is like $20 to replace just one). And I'm careful, but every once in a moon, crack!
Next time one cracks I just might not fix it :laugh:
But actually I am thinking of mounting another set of runners along the side, I just haven't figured out how (cauz I can't afford to break runners lol).

The price on running lights is ridiculous, I've checked 18-wheeler shops but they're almost always dang expensive (yup, 2-300 for a decent set, and more). Even ebay, if you can find some they just sock it to us here, so invention and savvy shopping I guess :)