PDA

View Full Version : Prices - - Help Please!

fire228
04-26-2007, 08:58 PM
What do you guys charge?

I want to get an average so I know what to bid.

An average size lawn around where I live is 1/4 acre so do I go buy the size or charge by the hour?

It is only myself and business partner.

:dizzy:

bohiaa
04-26-2007, 09:30 PM
both.................

cuttenup
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I would'nt unload my equipment for any less than $35 no matter how small. On average I get around $45 per man hr.

ccondie
04-27-2007, 01:00 AM
I would'nt unload my equipment for any less than $35 no matter how small. On average I get around $45 per man hr.

I agree I dont even unload my gear for less then 35. With the fuel prices these days you have to be able to make a little bit of money. As for prices for an acher i charge about $70-80 debending on all the obsticles in the yard and what not. That adv yard is only about $40 - 45 For general labor its 45/hr plus cost+ 15%

Nathan Robinson
04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I wouldnt go by the hour. Charge accordingly. What would you pay someone for a good job is what I would ask for. Dont be scared of low-ballers. they are everywhere. People get tired of shotty work. I think you will do just fine!

topsites
04-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Take pride in your work, and charge accordingly.

As a rule of thumb, if more than half say yes, your prices are too low.
If more than 9 out of 10 say no, your prices are too high, generally speaking.

If you get the headlighted deer look, you're way high.
If they hoot and holler and call you crazy, there's no telling but you might be on target.
And if the customer offers to pay you more than what you just bid, you could be in dire trouble :laugh:

Other notes: For me I found that by the time I started doing good, 9 out of 10 were saying no.
It's either you're super busy and barely earning enough, or hardly busy but getting paid... Weird...

topsites
04-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Oh, I got more:

If they give you a dirty look, you're about halfway between lowballing and where you should be.

If they come back haggling, you're a bit too low.

Afraid of bidding wrong? A good rule to remember is you can always come down but you can never go up, start out kinda high if you're ready to haggle or not sure.

If you underbid it is usually very educational, the learning curve isn't very steep but I do find it dang long. :laugh:

Good luck

bohiaa
04-27-2007, 08:05 AM

YUP I'm at 45.00

Allens LawnCare
04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I can't see mowing by the hr.....maybe with a 21" push mower but with a larger machine it takes no time, are you willing to travel and cut a lawn for $15....if so good luck. Average 5,000 sq ft lawn here is 35-45 a cut depending on flower beds etc.....time is money, but you purchase bigger commercial equipment to cut back on the amount of time. you still get the same money

zz4guy
04-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Everybody here is saying to bid high... I have to disagree.

You are just starting so you need all the jobs you can get. You need to generate cash flow as soon as you can and then eventually you can weed out the cheaper customers. A well known busines saying is you aim to eliminate 80% of your customers and keep the 20% highest paying ones. But you sure don't start out with the 20%. You need to earn experience and respect in your area before that.

I overbid a lot of my accounts when I started and lost almost all of them. Making $25-30/lawn is better than making $0/lawn. Its like starting a job anywhere else. You start low and work your way up while you gain experience. Nobody becomes the CEO on Day 1.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 10:48 AM
1/4 acre or more can't settle for less then $40 and that is with minimal trimming. My base is $25 and that is for like 1/10 of acre and offer them free mow with referal to get more jobs right in the same area and make it more worth your while to drive there.