PDA

View Full Version : Another Q. for the pros...I need it green!

Liquidfast
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I have 3 houses that I ABSOLUTELY have to have greener than Augusta National Golf Course.

I have started them on 28-8-8. I applied as directed. I am going to wait 3 weeks and apply the same 28-8-8 but 3/4 the amount. I will wait 6 weeks and apply 16-8-10.

Will this suffice? Is there ANYTHING else I can do to bring this already decent lawn into a turbo charged green machine???

Thanks in advance!

LawnSharks
04-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Add into your regime a hefty dose of IRON. Products like Ironite really green up a lawn quick, won't burn and can be used in conjuction with your fert. apps. Works every time. Lesco has a pure iron and you can always pick up Ironite at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Keep it off the concrete because it will leave pretty tough brown irons spots!
Good luck and Keep it Green!

timturf
04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I have 3 houses that I ABSOLUTELY have to have greener than Augusta National Golf Course.

I have started them on 28-8-8. I applied as directed. I am going to wait 3 weeks and apply the same 28-8-8 but 3/4 the amount. I will wait 6 weeks and apply 16-8-10.

Will this suffice? Is there ANYTHING else I can do to bring this already decent lawn into a turbo charged green machine???

Thanks in advance!

how about a sample label on the products you are using

Nathan Robinson
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Use iron. You cant burn a lawn with to much iron. Its hard to find an iron without fert in it but I found some. google cheleated iron. Spray that in a low volume. Its like painting.

lilmarvin4064
04-28-2007, 04:39 PM
more misinformation...

Foliar ferts like iron work better in high volume applications(liquid pre-emergents too).

J & M Lawn Care
06-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Add into your regime a hefty dose of IRON. Products like Ironite really green up a lawn quick, won't burn and can be used in conjuction with your fert. apps. Works every time. Lesco has a pure iron and you can always pick up Ironite at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Keep it off the concrete because it will leave pretty tough brown irons spots!
Good luck and Keep it Green!

i seen your post and had a Q. i use the all purpose all american lawn and garden fertilzer with 10-10-10. i have used it and it works good, but if i added the ironite plus to it, would it do any improvments or does the stuff i use now have enough, i think it has 2% iron.

i have noticed in some lawns that they have very little grass and a lot of dirt spots with no grass, like it was there at one point in time and is gone,lol, is that just lack of water and fertilizing, is there some way i can help them get that lush green look?

thanks

PSUTURFGEEK
06-18-2007, 09:50 PM
most of these fert combo's are ok, I kind of look at them more as Ag ferts.
you might want to try something like a 24-5-11 50%ppscu 5% Iron you will be amazed at the length of feeding and the color 5% Iron will give you.
The other advantage is the slow release, you can feel safer applying it in warmer weather with less moisture and less of a chance of burn.

Grandview
06-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Try ammonium sulfate. I get additional green from the sulfur.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Ammonium sulfate is an excellent product especially for golf courses, not real cost effective for lawn care and the burn potential is unreal in the wrong conditions.

lescojdl
07-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Iron can burn a lawn if you dump it on real heavy. Also, make sure to keep away from new concrete, pools, etc. Staining is an issue. Also, there are different types of iron that work better in different soil pH. I have the best luck with ferrous sulfate iron sources. Lesco sells a granular iron product with 20% iron as well as other micros. Works like a charm.

Stillwater
08-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Iron can burn a lawn if you dump it on real heavy. Also, make sure to keep away from new concrete, pools, etc. Staining is an issue. Also, there are different types of iron that work better in different soil pH. I have the best luck with ferrous sulfate iron sources. Lesco sells a granular iron product with 20% iron as well as other micros. Works like a charm.

Yes iron can trash a lawn in a huge over dose but generally it is very forgiving

mdlwn1
08-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't really get it.....I've never used iron or amonium sulfate on a lawn. My lawns have always been greener than just about everybody and I tend to feed only about 3.25lbs/year.

timturf
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
most of these fert combo's are ok, I kind of look at them more as Ag ferts.
you might want to try something like a 24-5-11 50%ppscu 5% Iron you will be amazed at the length of feeding and the color 5% Iron will give you.
The other advantage is the slow release, you can feel safer applying it in warmer weather with less moisture and less of a chance of burn.

Applied at how many lbs/m?

American_Lawn
01-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Here is what I always did. I would have those dead beat customers that would call me up and say they need their yard green in 1 month. I would put some 21-0-0 in their lawn, water two times a day and be sure not to walk on it. A little goes a long way with this. I would spread almost half a 50lb bag in the span of a month. I only did this on bermuda grass also, so I am not sure how other grasses will respond to this.