PDA

View Full Version : what gets black off the roof

jeremy067390
04-26-2007, 09:37 PM
i dont know what to use foor that black bleeding on the roof. i tried stuff from xterior that was for the houses said it didnt that too. nope. pored the chlorine right on there nope. ive been able to thin it out with pressure but thats about it. ive got two jobs in limbo some1 help me out

FCPWLLC
04-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Sodium Hypochlorite and TSP. Here is the recommended Tech Bulletin from ARMA... http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

And GAF http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/22710.pdf

It is just Algae.

Duekster
04-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Yep, chlorine is a good killer but does not have any surfactants and will not clean. The TSP will do that.

GreenN'Clean
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I've noticed the Black Bleeding only happens on cheap shingles I had a customer want me to power wash his roof last year but I turned it down because the shingles was cheap and I didn't want to damage the shingles and then have to put on a new roof...

FCPWLLC
04-27-2007, 08:49 AM
More often than not, what you describe as bleeding, is just Algae stains.

Simple application of sodium Hypochlorite and TSP followed by a rinse with Garden Hose is all that is needed. No Pressure washer involved.

squirtgun
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
The black bleeding is not from the shingles.It's a form of algae that feeds on the limestone in the shingles.It does matter how much an asphalt shingle cost eventually they will all get it.
We us ethe same method as Michael with outstanding results.

Markf
04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advise. My own home is experiencing this as well. And after reading this it makes sense because it is only on the north side.
Mark

jeremy067390
04-28-2007, 07:40 PM
thanks thats awsome. any luck with this on gutters? i use a product from xterior called gutter zap now and a long a#$ brush. works great but i have to order it.

1MajorTom
05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Very interesting. I've seen lots of roofs that have that staining, and I've always wondered what caused it. I too thought it must be "cheap shingles".
thanks,

Grass Man
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
.... Thanks for the info :).

dKoester
05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
They do make shingles that protect against algae. I know several builders that use them.

squirtgun
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
They do make shingles that protect against algae. I know several builders that use them.

They get it eventually.The algae resistant shingles repel it for an about 2 extra yrs.

GrassmasterB
05-22-2007, 01:45 AM
what is tsp and where do you get it?

drelgan
05-22-2007, 07:29 AM
If its the same TSP as what I used to haul in a tanker semi--its Trisodium Phosphate

Markf
06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Mike and others,

I read the bulletin and tried to remove the dark stains to no avail.

I used the pressure washer on low pressure (the pressure used when adding a cleaning agent). It killed the lichens but the stains are still there. Futher advice?

Mark

squirtgun
06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Mike and others,

I read the bulletin and tried to remove the dark stains to no avail.

I used the pressure washer on low pressure (the pressure used when adding a cleaning agent). It killed the lichens but the stains are still there. Futher advice?

Mark

Explain how you cleaned the roof.
The way I'm readin it you only used water and very low presssure.The method Michael and I employ uses a chemical reaction to clean.Chemicals are applied at low pressure and rinsed with low pressure.

sgoalie23
06-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I did use a combination of TSP, bleach and water under low pressure to no avail.

(Sorry, I posted under my son's name)

Mark

squirtgun
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Are you using the pressure washer to apply the chemicals?
If you and you used house hold bleach with water & TSP added your mix wasn't strong enough.Straight house hold bleach is 5% sodium hyprochlorite diluting it will not give you positive results.
Try using it straight and see if your results don't improve dramatically.Apply it witha pump sprayer not the machine.We use a 12v pump mounted on our rig and pull or chemicals from a 65 gallon tank.

Markf
06-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Are you using the pressure washer to apply the chemicals?
If you and you used house hold bleach with water & TSP added your mix wasn't strong enough.Straight house hold bleach is 5% sodium hyprochlorite diluting it will not give you positive results.
Try using it straight and see if your results don't improve dramatically.Apply it witha pump sprayer not the machine.We use a 12v pump mounted on our rig and pull or chemicals from a 65 gallon tank.

1. Yes I used 5%.
2. Yes I used the pressure washer on low pressure.
3. I will use a pump sprayer to apply the bleach. Do I still add the TSP so that it is a mixture of 5% bleach and TSP, or straight bleach?

Thank you.

Mark

squirtgun
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM

squirtgun
06-11-2007, 10:08 AM
We personally don't use the TSP.We haven't been able to tell a difference in using over using a laundry soap.It doesn't take much soap in a pumpu sprayer no more than 1/2 cup.

Markf
06-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks. We will try this weekend.
Mark

DJL50
06-12-2007, 12:49 AM

Simple application of sodium Hypochlorite and TSP followed by a rinse with Garden Hose is all that is needed. No Pressure washer involved.

Where do I find sodium Hypochlorite? Sold under a brand name???

squirtgun
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Where do I find sodium Hypochlorite? Sold under a brand name???

Pool supply store.Liquid chlorine is what they will know it as.You can not apply SHC straight as it ranges from 10% to 15% shc.

backtobasicslawncare
06-17-2007, 12:09 AM
try jo-max from home depot they told my boss that when i worked for his painting company. and the black on this 1900s house came off the roof.

aracad
07-11-2007, 05:25 PM

#1 Where do we get these chemicals (sodium Hypochlorite and TSP)?

#2 Do you need a license to use them?

#3 What is the best way to apply them? For instance do I mix the sodium Hypochlorite and TSP together with water? Apply with a sprayer let sit for 10 minutes or so, then rinse? Please explain I would greatly appreciate it.
*trucewhiteflag*

aracad
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I wish I had read the thread further. I though I was on the last page sorry!

I still ask do you need a license?

David Hartzog
07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I noticed side walks that get sprayed with round up stay clean for years. weird haaaa.................

4458chas
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I have used oxi clean like u see on tv. u mix it with hot water from the tap in a sprayer( I used my solo backpack sprayer) and it killed every thing on the roof and has been good for a year now. U can pick up a big tub of it at home depot.
It is safe for all the plants below the roof

squirtgun
07-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow and to think I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and learning the safest most efficient methods for roof cleaning only to find out that Jomax and Oxi Clean were all I needed.

ARMA,Owens Corning and GAF must not have known about the Jomax or Oxi Clean either since they specifically recommend a sodium hypochlorite and TSP mix to clean shingles.

4458chas
07-13-2007, 06:51 AM
just because u don't know about it does not mean it does not work

MarcSmith
07-13-2007, 07:36 AM
not a roof guy, but isnt there something you can put on the roof like a zinc or copper strip or something to that effect to keep the stains at bay???

squirtgun
07-13-2007, 02:25 PM
just because u don't know about it does not mean it does not work

I actually do know it works,but it's not the recommended method of the shingle manufacturers.When you are selling low pressure roof cleaning as a service customer want some assurances that the methods being used are recognized by the authorities on shingles.The method Michael K and I use is the recommended and approved method according to ARMA.Since they represent the shingle manufacturers as whole I stick with what they suggest.

Believe me when I say this topic has been discussed backward and forward on the pressure washing BBS.

squirtgun
07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
not a roof guy, but isnt there something you can put on the roof like a zinc or copper strip or something to that effect to keep the stains at bay???

The zinc strips have to be placed relatively close together to keep the algae growth in check.They aren't the most cost efficient method of treating the problem.

SStang
07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
What is the cost of having this done? What is the mixture measurements?

Thanks.

picman77478
12-17-2007, 05:15 PM
This stuff works great - I'ved used on on my roof and driveway. It takes time to work and it is expensive - but the black stains are gone and have stayed away all spring and summer.

http://www.sprayandforget.com/

I have no affiliation with the co., just a satisfied user.

RoofCleaningTampa
05-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Like Mike from FCPWLLC said, SH and TSP will do a great job.
The addition of a little Borax we find does even better, and keeps the roof clean longer.
If you want the formula, do a search for Apple Sauce Roof Cleaning
I would post a link, but not sure that is allowed.
I own Apple Roof Cleaning In Tampa FL (http://www.saferoofcleaning.com)
Here are some roofs cleaned with Apple Sauce :waving:

CCPC
06-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey Chris, you don't clean out the gutters before you clean a roof? I usually add that on as a necessary part of the roof cleaning process to insure that I get good flow while rinsing.