PDA

View Full Version : old versus new

awm
08-06-2001, 04:33 PM
this yr im noticing a lot of difference in lawns 4 yrs or older versus 1 2 3 yr stuff.right now the older ones are looking prime while the younger is stressed. whether they were fertilised or not.
its as if the weather has been best for deeper rooted grass.
like i say im noticing this more this yr than i remember in the past.
luck and later TM

crazygator
08-06-2001, 10:49 PM
I am finding out that it all depends on the landscaper or contractor as to the type of soil content at the newer lawns. Most around here (except in the really fine areas) skimp on the soil and it really sucks the life out of the new grass. The older ones are established and have their pattern of growth and everything else plus being older has a good balance of nutrients.

MATTHEW
08-07-2001, 01:27 AM
It depends again on the contractor. When you buy a home, you get an installed lawn. But if the lawn looks bad do you call the contractor and complain? Usually no. That is why a lot of LCO's who do install work for contractors do not prepare the soil correctly or add the needed depth for decent root growth. They just get some green, and GO! The home owner feels it is their problem when it is the contractor who seeded over an area with 1-2" of good soil. After core aerating and overseeding and lots of fert, a lawn will eventually look better. But if you get a good 3-4" of clean fill from the start, your lawn should take off like a jet engine.