PDA

View Full Version : Leaking head - need advice

eZrider
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
First of all I only do lawn maintenance and don't know anything about irrigation. I do not plan on doing any repairs, I would just like to be able to give my customer an intelligent answer as to what is wrong and help them find a company to repair the problem if it's not repaired by my next visit.

During my last visit in the fall I noticed the leak and notified the customer that it needed to be repaired. Well I show up last month for a spring clean-up and it is still not repaired. He told me he had been trying to get the original installer to look at it, however a month later still no fix.

The leaking head is the second highest head on the lawn and is approximately 6-8 feet higher and about 60' from the 3 valve manifold. From what I understand the line should have no pressure until the valve opens for the particular zone (I could be wrong). The manifold box does not have a shut off valve that I can find. There are two green 8" covers near the main water valve, one that contains nothing :confused: and one with a ball valve. I shut off the ball valve and left it off for about 45 mins while I finished my lawn work and came back and it was still leaking at the same rate. It appears it is leaking directly from the top of the head around a small 3/8" brown cover with one screw. I would think with it being one of the highest heads the water would drain back down when no pressure is in the line.

Any idea what the problem could be? Bad head, bad valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
what kind of head?
is there a check valve in it.
ie does it leak when it is running or shut off?

I suggest telling the customer is a connection fitting ie a half inch funny L or a busted riser...possibly damged by a large lawn mower..is it by the drive way by any chance?

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Its probably a seeping valve. The lower heads probably have check valves in them, so the water backs up to this one.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
what kind of valves are they buddy?

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
As far as heads, I'm going to say its a RB 1804 with a 12' nozzle.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:41 PM
i was thinking a pgp or mini 8

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 10:42 PM
3/8 Brown top with a single screw is a Rainbird 12' nozzle buddy.

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 10:44 PM
It appears it is leaking directly from the top of the head around a small 3/8" brown cover with one screw.

Me thinks the CAPT needs to be court martialed and demoted. This description is classic valve weep-by as it appears to be coming out the top where the sprinkler head riser contacts the top of the head. The screw is probaly the radius breakup. If there was something broken below the sprinkler head water would be leaking around the outside of the sprinkler body... NOT up the inside of the sprinkler riser and out the nozzle in a retracted state.

eZrider
04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry I guess I should have taken a few pics of the problem. I can't remember the brand name and I'm not familiar with the different types of heads. The best I can recall it is similar to the pic below if that helps any.

It is installed next to a tree ring with concrete curbing. I don't think my mower has ever come in contact with the head as I am very careful to stay away from the curbing with fear of damaging the concrete.

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
I win!

It Guy 1 : Rotard 0

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Me thinks the CAPT needs to be court martialed and demoted. This description is classic valve weep-by as it appears to be coming out the top where the sprinkler head riser contacts the top of the head. The screw is probaly the radius breakup. If there was something broken below the sprinkler head water would be leaking around the outside of the sprinkler body... NOT up the inside of the sprinkler riser and out the nozzle in a retracted state.

check valve buddy..

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Ah, I don't win, its a R-50 and not a Spray Head. I hate R-50's.

I still think its a seeping valve.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:50 PM
flow pro's?

or is it a new system?

and is this the only sprinkler head that leaks?

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 10:50 PM
It is installed next to a tree ring with concrete curbing. I don't think my mower has ever come in contact with the head as I am very careful to stay away from the curbing with fear of damaging the concrete.

Had your mower come into contact with it you'd know REAL quick as the sprinkler would only gush water when the zone valve is activated. A sprinkler leaking all the time is classic weep-by of the valve. The diaphragm most likely needs replacing. Sometimes they can be removed and cleaned if debris has gotten between the diaphragm and the valve seat.

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM
check valve buddy..

Please enlighten us BUCK PRIVATE... IF you can put together an intelligent synopsis of the problematic sprinkler head and IF you can string together more than three words and make them coherent instead of sounding so much like your boozer boss. Stop acting like such a kludge.

eZrider
04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
CAPT
Flow pro's (you lost me there, lol)

The system is about 2 years old.

Yes, this is the only head that leaks.

Mr. Haze

Is the diaphram/cleaning a simple process or is this something I need to leave to the pros?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Please enlighten us BUCK PRIVATE... IF you can put together an intelligent synopsis of the problematic sprinkler head and IF you can string together more than three words and make them coherent instead of sounding so much like your boozer boss. Stop acting like such a kludge.

I will continue to post on this site to humor you.....

dude its a internet message board.....mellow out.....make a few errors....
let it all hang out...I mean really how does my poor grammar/spelling effect your irrigation posts on any level?

do you have control issues?
And was you obvious infatuation with irrigation a deciding factor in the divorce between you/your husband?

we must know

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Mr. Haze

Is the diaphram/cleaning a simple process or is this something I need to leave to the pros?

It's relatively easy. You need to first determine the specific valve by manually firing it and making sure that the problem "leaker" is on that valve. Then turn the water to the system of! Unscrew the valve bonnet (top) from the valve base. When you lift it you'll have the diaphragm and spring most likely come loose. Check for tears, warping, indentations and debris on BOTH the valve and diaphragm seat that is part of the body. You can clean it and replace it and give it a try. Sometimes the entire valve bonnet and diaphragm assembly will require replacement. Just go buy the same valve, tear it down and replace everything above the body.

If you take a decent picture of the valve and post it I'm sure someone will have prior experience with the same valve. They will also have knowledge of particular problems with the valve model if any are known.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
id put 20 on its a flow pro

eZrider
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully the problem has been resolved by my next visit but if not, now I have an idea of what to do.

Thanks again!

sheshovel
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I will continue to post on this site to humor you.....

dude its a internet message board.....mellow out.....make a few errors....
let it all hang out...I mean really how does my poor grammar/spelling effect your irrigation posts on any level?

do you have control issues?
And was you obvious infatuation with irrigation a deciding factor in the divorce between you/your husband?

we must know

No but Purp has idiot issues, he tends to be impatient with idiots who are trying to appear as thought they know something worthwhile. He also has issues with guys who give wrong advice and who are rude.
Purple Haze is one of THEE top experts on irrigation issues on this site and probably the whole entire world...don't you forget it newbie!

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 11:10 PM

I don't think anyone was installing Flo-Pro's two years ago.

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Purple Haze is one of THEE top experts on irrigation issues on this site and probably the whole entire wrold...don't you forget it newbie!

Brought to you by the same stastical genius that said that California is responsible for 80% of the US's crops :)

However, I do think Hayes is an excellent irrigator.

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 11:13 PM
CAPT ****** has been put into my kill file since he has no redeeming value except as very cheap and boring entertainment. It's quite evident he's an irrigation monkey that has more experience pounding his pud instead of installing and servicing quality systems. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 11:13 PM
im not saying i know much of anything.....

but we all can joke and have some fun with it..I mean..
bad advice....i mean im just trying to throw some ideas out there...rude?he got on my case first aka i know he is but what am i...i neer claimed to be anything more than a new guy in the trade...i mean....
Irrigation=rocket science?

do all of you have the personality of a Stone wall?
I mean..really....relax..with a name like purphaze you would think he is a cool dude.
im a nice guy.......i love people.....
and i will recognize purphaze=gods gift to Irrigation.....

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Actually, what SheShovel didn't mention is that the top 3 on this site are actually.

1. Dirty Water
2. Dirty Water on a bad day
3. PurpHaze

:laugh:

Remote Pigtails
04-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Actually, what SheShovel didn't mention is that the top 3 on this site are actually.

1. Dirty Water
3. PurpHaze

Don't forget Ed

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 11:18 PM

1. Dirty Water
3. PurpHaze

I support this post

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Actually, I'll modify it slightly.

Its:

1. Dirty Water
2. Dirty Water with his red lines
3. PurpHaze

:)

PurpHaze
04-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Don't forget Ed

LOL... Now YOU'RE killing me! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sheshovel
04-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Well my dear, we take giving good intelligent advice very seriously. Of course taking any advice from Dirty Water is a crap shoot.
Purp is a cool guy, you just ruffled his feathers before he got to know you well enough to kid around with you. I would PM him an apology if I were you and try to start over from his good side.
Dirty? You can stick it where the dirty water goes. You sir are one of the most supreme numbskulls to ever walk this earth.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-26-2007, 11:27 PM
purpHAZE>how many divorces have you had due to you occupation?

Dirty Water
04-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Well my dear, we take giving good intelligent advice very seriously. Of course taking any advice from Dirty Water is a crap shoot.
Purp is a cool guy, you just ruffled his feathers before he got to know you well enough to kid around with you. I would PM him an apology if I were you and try to start over from his good side.
Dirty? You can stick it where the dirty water goes. You sir are one of the most supreme numbskulls to ever walk this earth.

Hehe. Ok.

Don't you have some drip to replace?

sheshovel
04-26-2007, 11:32 PM
As soon as you have that lobotomy you promised to have, I will replace all your pipes for ya. Deal?

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Do I detect some chemistry between Ro-tard & the fabulous SHE?????

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Ro-TARD=gold....who do i have to ask to change my name to RO-TARD?

Dirty Water
04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Sean Adams.

londonrain
04-27-2007, 05:47 PM
First of all I only do lawn maintenance and don't know anything about irrigation. I do not plan on doing any repairs, I would just like to be able to give my customer an intelligent answer as to what is wrong and help them find a company to repair the problem if it's not repaired by my next visit.

During my last visit in the fall I noticed the leak and notified the customer that it needed to be repaired. Well I show up last month for a spring clean-up and it is still not repaired. He told me he had been trying to get the original installer to look at it, however a month later still no fix.

The leaking head is the second highest head on the lawn and is approximately 6-8 feet higher and about 60' from the 3 valve manifold. From what I understand the line should have no pressure until the valve opens for the particular zone (I could be wrong). The manifold box does not have a shut off valve that I can find. There are two green 8" covers near the main water valve, one that contains nothing :confused: and one with a ball valve. I shut off the ball valve and left it off for about 45 mins while I finished my lawn work and came back and it was still leaking at the same rate. It appears it is leaking directly from the top of the head around a small 3/8" brown cover with one screw. I would think with it being one of the highest heads the water would drain back down when no pressure is in the line.

Any idea what the problem could be? Bad head, bad valve?

Any help would be appreciated.Since a R-50 was installed it might also have Dv-100's and it has a diaphragm that is weeping....high pressure like Atlanta has will kill a Dv-100 diaphragm...just a guess until we see a pic of the valve...

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Since a R-50 was installed it might also have Dv-100's and it has a diaphragm that is weeping....high pressure like Atlanta has will kill a Dv-100 diaphragm...just a guess until we see a pic of the valve...

Good thought London..if he had low-drain checks & THAT one stuck open,
could be the problem, too..he did not mention how much of a slope he was on: I've seen low-drainage occur as the heads rose up the hill.

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
What kind of supply pressures do the Rainbird DV-100 series have problems with? It's rare that I get much more than 100 psi to work with, but I haven't suffered many high-pressure failures with the Richdel/Irritrol valves.

londonrain
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
We average 125-175psi...

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey jar top.....I've been meaning to agree with one of your threads about
Hardie/Irritrol...a great company over the years....soon as Toro got ahold
of them, first clock down was the "Touch Command", the controller that,
if it had flow sensing...would still be a player.

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
175? I expect you aren't subjecting the DV-100 valves to that much pressure. If I had much more than 120 psi, I might look away from the Richdel/Irritrols

Toro has actually 'corrected' some Hardie mistakes with the Richdel designs. Their 2500 valves sidestepped a flawed Hardie altering of the Richdel flow-control valve bonnet.

Ed G
04-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, I gotta get my two cents in here....

Leaky head, no problem!

Bang it on the driveway a few times, give it a bubble bath for 10 minutes and give yourself $80.

Am I learning or what? :)

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Ed......if i'd had that advice years ago, I'd have retired earlier!:waving:

bicmudpuppy
04-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Since he stated the system is about 2 years old, I would put real good odds against it being a toro flo-pro that has been out of production (thank all the irrigation gods) for longer than that.

bicmudpuppy
04-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Consistent pressure over 120psi means a prv before the backflow in my book. I think the 2400's deal with pressures at or above 100psi better than most resi valves. The one draw back I have seen to the RB DV valve is it doesn't like higher pressures. The Hunter valves are worse yet. Even the better models HPV? Not going to look it up at this point. The SRV will crap very quickly at 100+psi.