PDA

View Full Version : RoTor say's sorry

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Purp? Rotor is saying he is sorry take him off ignore k? He's really kind of funny in a strange twisted way.

Remote Pigtails
04-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Purp? Rotor is saying he is sorry take him off ignore k? He's really kind of funny in a strange twisted way.

Looks like we've got the beginnings of a modern day Bonnie and Clyde here.

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Please shot me now and get it overwith!

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 07:13 AM
sheshovel=my new intraweb crush.......

im still wating for her to aim me.....

::kicks rocks::

OUR father who Install in Heavean.....Irritral be thy name
I guess purp is dunzo with me...no biggie i dont come here for Serious advice about anything do do with irritation..i come to talk about it...hopefully learn a trick or 2....

have a good day fellow installers

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Please shot me now and get it overwith!

"Shot me"?????? She, are you using the hot glue w/no primer today?
The rest of us are w/your new buddy......bring on the Lawn/Buckner beer!

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
hey mike What was it like installing Rainbird Impact rotars in the early 80's?

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 08:06 PM
If you mean maxi-paws...never put one in.....buckner, weather-matic...
took a real man to handle those babys...you probably could'nt lift one.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
If you mean maxi-paws...never put one in.....buckner, weather-matic...
took a real man to handle those babys...you probably could'nt lift one.

this is funny......

if you ever in New England and want some free schooling on irrigation..

drop me a line..no charge..its on me cause your a funny guy

BFF?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Now, if you installed Thompson rotors, you'd be doing some heavy lifting. (imagine a Minipaw-sized block of iron)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
cam driven?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 08:34 PM
cam driven?Gear drive. First one ever, and so primitive, their design didn't even allow for half-circle patterns. You had to choose between 173 degrees and 192 degrees. Look at the array of odd-number fixed angles the Toro 640 athletic field heads have, and you'll see the arcs that Thompsons covered.

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Now, if you installed Thompson rotors, you'd be doing some heavy lifting. (imagine a Minipaw-sized block of iron)

None left in my market...but....a HEFTY service call....plus we had no
Hunter keys or anyother dweeb adjustment tools like the pups have gotten
used to. All solid swing joints...specifiers held hands w/ reps, you never new
what brand your were going to service...oh yass, I miss impacts!

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Some of the Thompson systems I dealt with were maddening, because they could throw water further than almost anything else, and could be impossible to substitute for.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
lol @ no hunter/toro keys....you gotta get with the times brothas.....

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I believe Thompson survived as long as they did because they supplied the City of Los Angeles. If you had a non-turning gear drive, you could return it to the factory for rebuilding.

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Some of the Thompson systems I dealt with were maddening, because they could throw water further than almost anything else, and could be impossible to substitute for.

Things have'nt changed Boots, I was hired to survey a (failed) system on a
multi-purpose park field..installed last year....not enough psi/gpm from the
git..advice?..start over....no way you're gonna chuck 50+ feet w/45psi!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Things have'nt changed Boots, I was hired to survey a (failed) system on a
multi-purpose park field..installed last year....not enough psi/gpm from the
git..advice?..start over....no way you're gonna chuck 50+ feet w/45psi!!!

fack no....youll be able to get the average zone of pgp's up @ around 10 gpm..

50 feet...what bone head designed this system...and did he speak english?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 09:27 PM
I believe a Thompson could reliably clear at least 45 feet at 45 psi, assuming you had the gallonage. What I would see on some residentials, were systems of full-circle heads strung down the middle of a yard near a stream, and fed from a centrifugal pump, with the heads spraying over 40 feet with 30 psi at the head.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 09:29 PM
and what was the watering time for said thompson on a 180?
how much water was it given out per min?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Depends on the nozzling. The same basic gear drive mechanism worked for heads shooting as little as 4 gpm, to heads shooting over 80 gpm. No distance adjustments.

Remote Pigtails
04-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Depends on the nozzling. The same basic gear drive mechanism worked for heads shooting as little as 4 gpm, to heads shooting over 80 gpm. No distance adjustments.

I believe I ran into one of those two days ago. Even had a slit in the top to throw a spray for close in watering.

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
No slit - close in watering was provided by a separate nozzle on the 'turret' - think of an old battleship gun turret, with three guns. Most Thompsons had three nozzles, to cover all of the area watered.

Remote Pigtails
04-27-2007, 11:14 PM
No slit - close in watering was provided by a separate nozzle on the 'turret' - think of an old battleship gun turret, with three guns. Most Thompsons had three nozzles, to cover all of the area watered.

I need to photo this one for you. It is at least 40 years old and is one of the more impressive rotors I've seen. Has a metal turret that pops up. Throws a long stream out one side. A shorter out the other. Finally it has a slit in the top that throws a cs stream straight up.

bicmudpuppy
04-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I've been looking at the various models available for golf heads lately and I really, really miss those old buckner 1360's. 90' spacings. Rebuild the barrel of old heads over the winter. R&R has a buckner head in their catalog that looks like the old 1360. Brass or rubber top is the option. OMG the price!!!!??? I can't believe I used to pick up a case like it was no big deal when I was working at the CC back in the 80's. And swing joints are supposed to be hand threaded galvi w/ txt elboes!! And I am getting soft in my old age because I like 1" marlex and pvc arms on my swing joints.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 12:17 AM
And swing joints are supposed to be hand threaded galvi w/ txt elboes!! And I am getting soft in my old age because I like 1" marlex and pvc arms on my swing joints.

This one's for the memories Bryan although it's been reduced to 3/4" for an old Toro S-600.

bicmudpuppy
04-28-2007, 12:32 AM
This one's for the memories Bryan although it's been reduced to 3/4" for an old Toro S-600.

swing arm is to short and where is the last elboe? That one was never going to swing.

do you have pipe threading equipment? Dad owned what I always used and learned with. I found out when he passed that he left it all at the club when he retired. I've cut threads on up to 2 1/2" galvi. We had dies for 3", but I never had the privledge. I did have to have some 6" cut and taped for the pump station once.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 02:19 AM
swing arm is to short and where is the last elboe? That one was never going to swing.

These were put in by plumbers years ago so I guess it's there idea as to how to level a sprinkler. Usually whenever we encounter the galvanized we won't dig past the nipple attaching to the sprinkler. Then we'll build a modern swing joint but start it with a galvanized 90 as it will thread easier onto the galvanized nipple.

This particular sprinkler was too close to a fence so I cut back the lateral a little and glued on a new swing joint with a Hunter I-40. Much better now.

do you have pipe threading equipment? Dad owned what I always used and learned with. I found out when he passed that he left it all at the club when he retired. I've cut threads on up to 2 1/2" galvi. We had dies for 3", but I never had the privledge. I did have to have some 6" cut and taped for the pump station once.

We have the hand cutters and dies to thread up to 2" diameter. If I need 2-1/2" or larger threaded I take it by the plumbers' shop and use their power threader. I've threaded up to 6" diameter with their machine.

sheshovel
04-28-2007, 03:01 AM
I think it is so beautiful now you are all playing so nice together!
*Heart bursts with happiness*
Truly a wonder to behold.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Truly a wonder to behold.

Yup... the "ignore list" works wonders for the sanity. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
thanks for giving me a shot guys...

im sorry for my rude behavior....

i apoligize....if anyone can point me in the right direction to a admin i will als change my username to rotor if you all want...no worries