PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Deck vs. Floating Deck

Babbages01
04-27-2007, 12:56 AM
I need to get a bigger mower...possibly a 33 to 36 inch deck...but what are the benefits of fixed and floating decks?

With the floating deck I would expect less scalping, but is that the only upside to it?

TSG
04-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I don't think I would pay the extra $$$$$$$$$$$ for a floating deck in the 36"
range. If it was going to be my primary mower ???????????

Allens LawnCare
04-27-2007, 08:02 AM
TSG hows the mowing business in N Woodstock....We go camping, well drinking in Lincoln all the time.....I just bought my 52" lazer hp with ultra vac off a guy in Plymouth this spring. My wife and I are looking at moving north, I love it up there.

TSG
04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I think I was ther when you picked it up.
I was actually hoping to pick up some of his clients.
Biusnees up here is not great, but there is a nitch for
quality work.
Very tight community
I am hoping to do more in Plymouth
Alan

ps, give a yell if you come up
We have some great micro brews

GSPHUNTER
04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
When I was looking for my 36" the only plus side people gave me was the ease of cutting height adjustment. For the extra money it wasn't worth it for me, since I haven't moved the deck height yet. I have only scalped one spot in a yard and learned a lesson from it.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey TSG you know of any other walk behinds for sale in your area???I'm having trouble finding anything used and am looking at spending the big bucks. Any info would be great.

TSG
04-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I have a bobcat 36 belt
with a catcher (200.00) in great shape.
A couple years old. I bought it used , had it tuned up.
It cuts great,,,,the problemis that I need to go in for surgery.
I have $1050.00 into it.
I decided to buy a hydro.
I was going to keep the BC as a back-up.
Alan

J&R Landscaping
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I need to get a bigger mower...possibly a 33 to 36 inch deck...but what are the benefits of fixed and floating decks?

With the floating deck I would expect less scalping, but is that the only upside to it?

The only other big thing would be the height adjustment. I thought I would notice some scalping issues with my larger (52") fixed deck wb but I dont have any scalping issues with it!

fiveoboy01
04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't think scalping would be much of an issue with a 36" deck if it was a fixed deck.

I just bought another WB, was looking at the Viking vs. the Turf Tracer HP, and I decided that the speed and ease at which you can change cutting heights on a floting deck was worth the extra money(to me) for the Turf Tracer so that's what I went with.

But if you NEVER change cutting height or very rarely, no reason why you shouldn't save the $ and get a fixed deck...