PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Sender on Kaw 25

Countrybois
04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
What does the oil pressure sending unit do on an Kaw 25(Toro model 74245)? The reason I'm asking is I just bought this unit and found the wire that is suppose to go to the sender disconnected. It ran fine disconnected, I reconnected it, it still runs fine.

I guess if it is a normally open switch that closes and shorts something to ground upon losing oil pressure this would make sense. Can anyone tell me how this particular unit functions?

Restrorob
04-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It kills the spark if oil pressure/level drops to prevent engine damage.

pugs
04-27-2007, 06:06 PM
It kills the spark if oil pressure/level drops to prevent engine damage.

They would not have it do that. They are all crazy about liability issues regarding that. Basically if you are driving it across a street and lose oil pressure and the machine shuts down and you get stuck in the middle and get run over they dont want you coming after them...LOL

Some of them have a siren, some of them have light, some of them use that sensor in the clutch circuit so if you lose pressure the mower blades stop working. I would have to check on that particular unit to see exactly how it works.

Also, Kawasaki has 2 switches. One is normally open, the other is normally closed...so it could be either way.

I repowered an old ariens home owner ZTR with a Kawasaki a few years ago and went through this. I ended up wiring in a light for the guy that would come on when oil pressure dropped.

bobcat175
04-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Normal oil pressure is 35-45 psi.
Pressure switch detection 14.2 psi.