PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work out of thier truck?

Herrick
04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd like to hear from anyone who works out of thier truck without a trailer. A lot of my accounts are closer to my 8-5 job than my house, and I'm looking to save some time by not having to run home, load up, and come back after work. I have to park in a parking deck at work, so I don't really have the option to bring the trailer with me.

TriPLandscaping
04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Would you want all your equipment in the bed of your truck while parked? Exposed for anyone to come snatch it right up?

topsites
04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Certain odd jobs that don't require the trailer... Unfortunately most of my jobs require it, but weed control and hedge trimming doesn't, so if I got enough lined up to make a day of it, I leave the trailer home as it saves fuel and time maneuvering.

Herrick
04-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I've got a lock for everything, although theft/vandalism is a concern...

rfed32
04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
id get a tailgate lock and you could build something to lock your trimmer and blower on/to i would also get ready ramps and cord and lock to lock that up as well im thinkin about runnin out of my truck again for a little

Scag48
04-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Stay tuned fellas, I work out of the back of my truck and will post pictures as I finish the setup. Was planning on buying a trailer and a larger w/b but talked myself out of it, my route as it stands would be a hassle with a trailer, completely do-able but a hassle nonetheless. And, I've realized over the last couple days, I'm getting my premium price per account by using a 21", people love to see that you're working a little harder to complete the same task. At any rate, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to upfit the truck with expanded metal sides, essentially a cage, and I'm going to bolt trimmer and blower racks to the expanded metal as you would with an enclosed trailer setup. This way, it keeps my trimmer and blower off the bed of the of truck, I have more room for grass in the front of the bed, and the 21" stays in the back of the truck. I have a tailgate pin that triggers the truck alarm if it is opened while the system is armed and the 21" gets a very large cable lock at night.

Herrick
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Curious if you got any pics yet... I'm starting to shy away from this idea more and more as a co-worker just had his $3000 mountain bike stolen off the back of his SUV... Cut the cable and ran with it. I think I'm stuck keeping my stuff at home until I'm ready for it.

ashs inc
05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
yeah scag 48 i would love to see pics of that set up

Birdhunter1
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Why would a person steal a bike and run, wouldn't it be faster to get away by riding it?

Kinda like stealing a car and pushing it down the street!

Scag48
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll get some pics when I finally get everything finished. Tons of guys run this setup over here. Basically an expanded metal cage the height of the cab, saw one guy with the same idea as me with a catch-all box mounted over the top of the cab. Saw one truck that had the trimmer racks mounted outside the mesh cage, which makes sense so you don't have to climb into the back of the truck to grab a timmer. I see more and more of these setups here, parking sucks, lawns are small and 21's are the norm.

mountianview
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
nothing fancy, s-10 ,toro 36'' wb in back,blower on passenger seat, will need trailer for larger ztr coming this wk.KISS - KEEP IT SIMPLE ''STUPID'' not too stupid not hauling equipment not needed just to look the part ,lower gas prices, lower overhead ,better prices,greater profit. works for me!

Herrick
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Why would a person steal a bike and run, wouldn't it be faster to get away by riding it?

Kinda like stealing a car and pushing it down the street!

Just a figure of speech.... :laugh:

I've thought about getting a topper to secure things, but that seems like a real pain for grass clippings and such. I guess the biggest problem is security... they don't make alarms for 21" mowers, do they? :hammerhead: