PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler prices

LawnsRUsInc.
04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
What do you find to be the easiest way to bid for irrigation installations. Is it easier to bid by the sqft or by expected time and materials?

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
There's plenty of info, ad nauseum, in he archives.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
ive only been in the biz for a few years..and still learning the bidding process..

what I do..
Get the GPM/PSI from house ie Town water or well.
then calculate your estimate of zones depending on your preference on rot0r/spray zones..we use polly pipe around New England for the resi installs...
I have learned from a few different people how to bid..no one is the same..I use a flywheel...and try to Zone my heads in same area's...ie driveway/shadded areas/shrub beds....also depends on if you manifold or what ever...up here we bid @ 500 a Zone sometimes 600 if its a doctor or lawyer..hehe..
but we have these certian ethnic groups that bid @ 300 a zone and mix sprays/rotors......and it ends up costing the customer more water/time on repairs/re-design....

ill try to help ya and tell ya what i know...Im not saying all what i do cause im a "pup" to the biz.....but ill try to help ya any way i can brotha

LawnsRUsInc.
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey thanks CAPT yea i hear you and what is a flywheel.

And Mike Leary u know i did search it and couldnt find much on how people price it. SO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM DONT OPEN THE POST AND DONT RESPOND!!

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey thanks CAPT yea i hear you and what is a flywheel.

And Mike Leary u know i did search it and couldnt find much on how people price it. SO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM DONT OPEN THE POST AND DONT RESPOND!!You must have used the wrong search parameters, because the topic has been discussed at length, and it's all archived. Me, I'd rather type about wearing bunny slippers on a rainy April morning.http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6213/bunnyslippers1wu5.gif

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
LawnsRusINC.-flywheel is what we in new england call a measure wheel...you know put it on the ground and roll to determine head spacing for rotar/spray heads...some idiots around here actually flag out estimates with different color zones the whole 9....idiots...what I think you really should know is you GPM/PSI how the water gets to you...Is there any Static pressure loss in travelling far distances ect?
-What you like to use for rot0r's (spacing apart)? i do the pgp @ about 23 feet....they have a nice stream control.....but they go as far as 30
-in tight areas are you gona use micro misters, 570 spray nozzles-they rule for the selection on nozzles..
-where you are gona mainifold
-how much wire/pipe you will use for feeds...
-here is a great one the customer always bites:
if they are uncertain about irrigating a part of their lawn that is not of an immediate concern...tell them for a small price you can drag a wire and a pipe to said remote location install a faucet and burry the wire..that way you wont have to worry about getting your main/wire in that area..

1 of my bosses likes to just bid @ 500 $ a zone...and a few labor/materials if any hand trenching is necessary...
the other likes to go 525 a zone first offer everything included....honestly they both are around the same...

I think the trick part is zoning.....

and i would like to learn what the archives have to say....Wet boots can you link me in the right direction of said info?
Please?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 12:47 PM
thanks WB.

SprinklerGuy
04-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I would like you to please come install my 4 zone system.....I will be using I-40s and I have 200gpm to work with...

I expect it to be 2 grand...

thank you very much....

Mike Leary
04-27-2007, 08:12 PM
I would like you to please come install my 4 zone system.....I will be using I-40s and I have 200gpm to work with...

thank you very much....

Wait wait! Motor home pulling out...I'll do it for $450 unless your a dentist.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 08:15 PM

thank you very much....

I expect you to kick every bag of rocks West of the mississippi until you get this deal....

SprinklerGuy
04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
That was my point...

Bidding by the zone is worthless....

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
That was my point...

Bidding by the zone is worthless....

and how do you bid you jobs sprinkguy?

BSME
04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm trying my best to keep up... but did I miss what "kick rocks" means?

SprinklerGuy
04-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Very simple equation for bidding...different for everyone.

Costs + Overhead + Desired Profit = Price

Tada....

LawnsRUsInc.
04-28-2007, 09:28 AM
what happens if your uncertain on how long it possibly take to install

DanaMac
04-28-2007, 09:38 AM
what happens if your uncertain on how long it possibly take to install

It happens. So you need to either overbid to be sure of making the profit you want, or make sure you know what you're doing before hand and can guess within an hour or two at the most for total time. Yes there will be times where it takes you longer than expected and you don't make as much money.

SprinklerGuy
04-28-2007, 09:40 AM
That makes it tough.....

Most of us have been doing this awhile and cannot remember 20 years back and how we 'guessed' at how long something will take...

My advice

Break down the process

How long will it take to pull the pipe....
How long will it take to do the water tap and hang the breaker and install the manifold
How long will it take to do each head including burial

And so on...

Be conservative....then figure out how much per hour you want to bid it at....I bid mine at a set amount per day and decide how many days and/or parts of days it will take.....

Do the math.....get the total......add or subtract if necessary.....submit bid...get job...do work....get paid.

Tada

Seriously though...it is a bit of an art form to do it right and to do it in a timely manner....you will get better over time....but the more time you spend now getting your procedures correct...the better off you'll be....

Good Luck

LawnsRUsInc.
04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Thank you guys so far for helping i was just curious i have 2 emp. that have worked for a sprinkler co. for combined 7-8 years and know how to do it but of course dont know times and costs

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Thank you guys so far for helping i was just curious i have 2 emp. that have worked for a sprinkler co. for combined 7-8 years and know how to do it but of course dont know times and costs

When I did installs which I don't anymore my big issue to speed things up and stay on schedule was watching the steps. To me the biggest time waster was the walking back and forth between the truck and the yard. Also not having good inventory which requires trips to the supply house. i would break the yard down into sections and do a section at a time. i never left open ditches. Only trenched what i was certain I could pipe and cover in the same day. I would jump all over people for having empty hands. never step on the dirt it slows down the backfilling. Also if you set it up for remote nozzling and fine tuning at the end will go a heck of a lot faster.

You are going to have to do a few to incorporate good profitable methods and the bidding will get easier.

DanaMac
04-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Same goes for repairs and service. If you can live on very little, and only want to charge $20 an hour, you can do it. If you want to live comfortably, be taken seriously, and charge around $60-$100 an hour, then charge it. You'll get it.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 09:08 AM
When I did installs which I don't anymore my big issue to speed things up and stay on schedule was watching the steps. To me the biggest time waster was the walking back and forth between the truck and the yard. Also not having good inventory which requires trips to the supply house. i would break the yard down into sections and do a section at a time. i never left open ditches. Only trenched what i was certain I could pipe and cover in the same day. I would jump all over people for having empty hands. never step on the dirt it slows down the backfilling. Also if you set it up for remote nozzling and fine tuning at the end will go a heck of a lot faster.

You are going to have to do a few to incorporate good profitable methods and the bidding will get easier.

Im a pup and i know this guy is on point with his assment..I get BS when rookies cave the trench/step on the pile of dirt/ and most importantly have empty hands while standing around....I Learned when running a crew, be nice, polite, but always keep the guys moving....if you see someone standing around to much tell them to grab the tamp and rake and go clean up something even if it already clean me...
as a pup, i knew that in order to make $$ and go far with the trade "the next step " is very important..Even better its good to know it with out having to ask...@ first i was weary about making mistakes...I mean last year i watched my boss, who has been in the trade for 25 years, flip a 255 last year for the first time in his life...And boy was that a tuff one to watch...the 255 didnt break, some fluids lost... but my boss had his confidence shattared!!!!!!!!!!!

we all make mistakes big doggies!!!!! an lil pups...

PurpHaze
04-29-2007, 11:52 AM
To me the biggest time waster was the walking back and forth between the truck and the yard.

This is one thing I instill into anyone working with us... never have empty hands. If you're going to the truck/trailer for tools/parts take trash/scraps/tools that won't be used any longer (or for quite some time) back with you. Make both ends of the trek profitable. And it makes the final cleanup so much easier so you aren't scurrying around at the end of the day/project picking everything up. It also ensures somewhat of a cleaner/safer working area and the chances of burying expensive tools is lessened.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
This is one thing I instill into anyone working with us... never have empty hands. If you're going to the truck/trailer for tools/parts take trash/scraps/tools that won't be used any longer (or for quite some time) back with you. Make both ends of the trek profitable. And it makes the final cleanup so much easier so you aren't scurrying around at the end of the day/project picking everything up. It also ensures somewhat of a cleaner/safer working area and the chances of burying expensive tools is lessened.

So Purp you are going to start a school to teach a whole new generation of irrigators when you retire i hope. Rumors are out there that the local jc here that has a hort/irr program is eliminating it for lack of enrollment. The only teaching in Dallas seems to be from green card hispanics to other hispanics here. i don't have a problem with that except the language barrier with the customers and they have no hort knowledge. Henry, my other service guy, is constantly getting job offers from other competitors. I've hired a couple of "experienced" irrigators with poor results. Trying to reteach them is frustrating.

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I've always believed it's better to find a sharp cookie(if they make them anymore) & teach them the trade, your way. That way, the only bad habits
they learn are yours!!!!!

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Wrong thread ~ (this space for rent)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I've always believed it's better to find a sharp cookie(if they make them anymore) & teach them the trade, your way. That way, the only bad habits
they learn are yours!!!!!

This is the way i learned...In less than 6 months after i started i was doing blowouts by myself..repairs by myself...trouble shootinb by myself...so since i show appitude my Big Boss offered me to go to Texas to a Irrigation Tech school( the one where they train you for the Texas license) it was a 4 day 9 hr course...I love it...Learned much from it...and still learn everything every day..