PDA

View Full Version : Weedeater Advice Needed

mloolara
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I am going to purchase a gas trimmer (weedeater) for residential use. I know that I want a straight shaft. I do not want to spend a ton but want one that is good, dependable, and light.

I was thinking of going to Lowes or Home Depot but depending on the comments received, I will go elsewhere as long as the make/model recommended is available in Baton Rouge, Louisiana or the nearby parishes.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Mr Priceless
04-27-2007, 10:45 AM
You're gonna get a lot of opinions, so i'll start:

I chose an Echo SRM 210......why?

Excellent Dealer support

Powerful enough for medium duty trimming (and i've done prolly 10 severly heavy duty jobs with it)

Light 11.?? LBs

REALLY comfy...they make a luxurious handle

Easy to start....little effort needed to prime once, choke, pull 3-4 times or less, sparks up, pull down to half choke, starts, pull down to run and there ya go.

CHEAP....i walked outta the door paying $218 after tax

Jake's Lawn Service
04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree :) I used one for my first 3 years in the business, still use it for a backup right now though
Jake

J&R Landscaping
04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I am also running an Echo SRM 210. Its been a great unit and given me 2 years of service so far. All I have done to it was just normal routine maint.

mcwlandscaping
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Stihl FS90R...........DON'T GO HOME DEPOT OR LOWES!!!

RedMax Man
04-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I am going to purchase a gas trimmer (weedeater) for residential use. I know that I want a straight shaft. I do not want to spend a ton but want one that is good, dependable, and light.

I was thinking of going to Lowes or Home Depot but depending on the comments received, I will go elsewhere as long as the make/model recommended is available in Baton Rouge, Louisiana or the nearby parishes.

Thank you in advance

What do you meen by residential use? does that meen just on your property or on many residential properties.
Stihl, RedMax, Echo any many others make small commerial grade straight shaft trimmers that are affordable ( under $300). Some make tough residential models too. Yes don't settle for the Home Cheepo garbage.

GreenN'Clean
04-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Echo is the way to go for me

dmc337
04-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I have 2 SRM-210's...enough power for my use, inexpensive enough to replace when needed.(haven't had to yet)...both bought from Echo Dealers for $1 more than Home Depot.

General Landscaping
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm throwing another Echo vote in there.
210 for whacking grass.
260 if you're going to do heavy work.

Shindawa also has a nice residential unit..... I can't recall the #
If I was equipping a strictly nice area maintenance trailer, I'd be inclined to throw one in there to see how it does.

SILVERSTREAK INC
04-27-2007, 04:19 PM
i run all srm 260s anymore but the srm210 was my first real trimmer...before that i had a 500 dollar kazz that was nice but just too heavy for throwing around for lawns....

if you wanted a step up go with the srm 230 at home depot, i think its 249 sinstead of 219....the guys always take the guards off the spinner head and seemed to burn the clutches off the srm210 in no time, they seemed to last longer when i stepped up to the 230

but from what other people said maybe go to a dealer, youre gonna pay basicly the same thing.....ive head of the big box stores buying "exclusive cheaper made merchandise" off of manufacturers....so they can sell the item 10 bucks cheaper yet theyre making tons more than a dealer would....because the cheaper stuff has one less bolt here...etc

this is especially true with pipe fittings, theyre thinner than a plumbing store...faucets wear out faster...power tools..all kindsa stuff

ed2hess
04-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Echo SRM210 it the way to go....straight 2 cycle and easy to work on and get parts. Don't get that funny business windup spring starter they put on some models.

Bigolbigun
04-28-2007, 08:39 AM
SRM210 here also. I have two of them and they work great.

Tagg
04-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Just purchased second one. Great unit, only problem we found is the Echomatic head wearing out, usually using 2 / year. :confused:

razor1
04-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Thank you in advance

I like Echo and have bought many, but for residential use and light commercial I think you'd be happy with a Homelite straight shaft trimmer from Home Depot. They sell for $89. and with occasional promo coupons $79. They also have a 2 year warranty. :usflag: http://www.homelite.com/products/str_trm/easyreach/productdisplay.htm

talonracn49
05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I use a little homelite straight shaft -- the $79 dollar one. I am at about a years worth of 25 yards/week plus two large subdivision entrances, and its still running strong!

I figure that I will back over it, forget it somewhere, or it will get stolen before it would ever wear out.

I buy the really cheap trimmers and the best cord for them that I can find. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

irishsoul
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I got the Stihl multi-tool. It's for commercial use but if they have a homeowner equivalent I think it's the way to go. I have the trimmer head, the edger head and the hedge trimmer head and all three work very very well. Just my 2 cents.

ED'S LAWNCARE
05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I started with the echo 210. Great for just the farm could not kill it, When I went in to business I bought the 260 and a stihl 85. The 210 is great for a back up 5 years and still running strong.