PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Customer wants lawn aerated

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
One of my better clients lives on a newer lot that had sod put down almost 3 years ago. This is my first spring with her and she wants her lawn aerated. I have a dethatcher should I just do it and charge her or should I find a way to aerate it for her since it is sod, she spent some good money on it and I don't want to mess it up plus I have 4 customers on that same street, 1 unhappy one and they might all be unhappy?!?! What should I do?

MarcSmith
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
nothing wrong with aerating lawns....I do mine every year, sometimes twice per year....Sod is well enough established after three years, you wont rip it up...

hackitdown
04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
rent an aerator and aerate it. No big deal.

MarcSmith
04-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Aerations is usually done int he fall in conjunction with fert and seeding and possible lime. But no harm in doing it in the spring.

Aeration is a good upsell and is fairly easy money.

Allens LawnCare
04-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Rent one, add the rental charge into the quote, it would be a great time to make some extra money...ask her if they'd like it seeded while your at it.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Ya I think I can borrow one from my old company at no cost since they still like me. Nice to know your a red sox fan Allen lets hope we take the series this weekend too!!!

gobblet
04-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Do it. I charge 3x the price of grass cutting for aeration.

MOWEMJEFF
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
I left a message saying I could do it for $50 and the cost of rental. Her yard is only about .1 acres and takes me 15 minutes to push mow and only get 25$ Did I lowball it too much? I don't think it will take me more then 45 minutes to do and I'll be doing other work on top of the $50 while I'm there.

MarcSmith
04-30-2007, 06:48 AM
I left a message saying I could do it for $50 and the cost of rental. Her yard is only about .1 acres and takes me 15 minutes to push mow and only get 25$ Did I lowball it too much? I don't think it will take me more then 45 minutes to do and I'll be doing other work on top of the $50 while I'm there.

It should not take you any longer to aerate it, than it takes to push mow. Unless you do a double pass aeration....,But you still need to charge more for the labor to pick up the rental machine...

I think you are in the ball park...

MOWEMJEFF
04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm definitly going to round to the nearsest whole number at least for the rental and the store is only 2 miles from my house so it's not really out of my way. I appreciate the help though guys, thank you.
Jeff

MarcSmith
04-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Not trying to nickel and dime here, but a rental machine is no different something you plant. You should mark it up in the future. I marked up all rentals 30% covered my time, fuel, ect

2 miles each way, total of 8 miles, thats a gallon of gas $3, plus you're going to blow at least 30 minutes picking up/dropping off the rental, that $25....

Its does add up quick....

scchamblee
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I am in the same position 3 years ago when I was in school my uncle rented Lesco walk behind Aeator to do his yard with... His friends found out he had it and wanted there yard done so I went and got it and did it for them. These same folks approached me today and wanted it done again, and I told them if I could track down an aerator I would do it. The rental place that my uncle rented it from went out of business and I dont know where I can find one now.

Should I consider buying one? I have a hitch on my mower so I thought about getting a pull type? Any help would be appreciated.

mr mow
05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
look in the yellow pages for a rental store or hardware store might have them. rent it and just spread the rental cost out for all customers unless you have alot of lawns to do, i personally would rent

MOWEMJEFF
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm renting one tomorrow its more then I thought at $33 for 4 hours, not many of my customers want to spend more then to just get their lawn mowed but I'm probly going to get one of the tow behinds in the fall so that it will be cheaper for the customer which will make it easier to sell.

MarcSmith
05-07-2007, 06:49 AM
just,make sure you get a good tow behind. those with the spikes or the 4 coring tines, aren't the best. as you then have to make multiple passes and a spike aerator which does not pull a plug is no comparison to a coring aerator.

scchamblee
05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Another ? What do yo do with the plugs when you are done... leave them there... rake them up... just wondering.

DLAWNS
05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I leave them in the lawn.

topsites
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Seriously check out this opportunity, if you think you'll want to aerate then consider buying a full-size Walk-behind so you have one... I do, I only charge $40 for up to 1/4 acre, a whole acre is like $100 :)

I bought mine used, a Classen Ta-26 for a grand 5+ years ago.
Very few parts can go wrong, stupid simple machine.
Worst part's the turns on a solid axle, but they want over 4g for a split one, I'd rather sweat for that kinda $

Now I did tweak up the rpm's a bit, that little 5.5 hp Honda about make you run, I can finish a whole acre in 90 minutes :laugh:

But yeah, it's good money and goes hand in hand with grass-cutting.

TazLandscapes
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey MOWEMJEFF What part of Portland You from!!!! :waving: :waving:
I live over on Washington Ave by congress st.

Mike DiBiase
Tazmad98@Yahoo.com

MOWEMJEFF
05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm near Amatos in South Portland. You live at the bottom of the hill huh, are you registered or out of your home, I haven't noticed a company over there and I play cards at the Sierra Club sometimes right down the street.

I rented one yesterday and did the lawn but my dethatcher broke about 2/3s of the way through so i ended up raking by hand an 8 foot by about 30 foot section since I had to return the aerator in 2 hours and it would have taken me longer then the 20 minutes it took to finish with a rake. Definitly sucked but the whole job took me about 3 hours total and I made $110 which is right around my average rate of $35 per hour and about a half hour of that was talking to her neighbor trying to gain another customer. I'm definitly going to try and find a used one this fall and charge customers 3x the cost of 1 mow like someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

TazLandscapes
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey MOWEMJEFF,
Thats me I have all the Dodge trucks in my yard.Yes i do run my business out of my house for now until i buy a house of my own in a couple of years.
I havent had the time to get signs made up for my trucks yet but will probably do that in the next month or so.

Thanks
Mike DiBiase
Tazmad98@Yahoo.com