PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Timbers

mcwlandscaping
04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I will be doing a kind of gravel driveway extension to the side of an existing paved driveway and was requested to use landscape timbers instead of stone (which i would have liked to use). Ive heard talk on here of certain grades of landscape timbers as far as quality and durability goes. How can you tell the difference and where can you buy the nice ones?

-mike-

PatriotLandscape
04-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Ask at the counter and check the tags at the end of the piece of lumber.

RedMax Man
04-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I've just used the ones from Home Depot (6x6 pressure treated). You can get larger more rustic and natural timbers at a landscape supply yard or similar place but i don't think they're cheap and do weigh alot. Depends how much the customer wants to spend and the look they want.

Here something simple i did with 6x6x12 PT from Home Depot:

bigtex
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
I Am In The Process Of Building A Wall Right Now With 4x6 I Bought From Home Depot, Like $13 Bucks Each And Looks Fine. (sorry No Pics)

ACutAbovesiny
04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I am not a fan of using timbers. I'm more of a stone guy. If you want quality wood make sure it treated.

mcwlandscaping
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I am not a fan of using timbers. I'm more of a stone guy. If you want quality wood make sure it treated.
I feel the same way....but, ide prefer to make some money on landscape timber work than no money at all on the job :) thanks guys for the help and that pic that was posted, that looks good!

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
went to home depot today to get a few prices, and the sign for the landscape timbers read like this:

Landscape Timbers 5 1/2x5 1/2x8'

wtf? isn't it suppose to be 6x6x8?

ACutAbovesiny
04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
thats "home cheapo" for you

Dirt Digger2
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
the actual size is 5 1/2 but its labeled as 6 usually because after planing it shinks 1/2 inch...i'm guessing when some guy made one of the hand made homedepot signs he actually got a tape measure and mesaured the actual width and height...but i'm sure its the exact same size as a "6x6"

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
yea, i know it's 1/2 inch less, i just figured it was suppose to be called a 6x6.....like a 1 1/2x 3 1/2 is really a 2x4

RedMax Man
04-29-2007, 09:30 PM
went to home depot today to get a few prices, and the sign for the landscape timbers read like this:

Landscape Timbers 5 1/2x5 1/2x8'

wtf? isn't it suppose to be 6x6x8?

Yeah, my dad is a contractor so he's always dealing with Home Depot and lumber. He has told me more than once that the lumber is always shrinking and are being milled smaller even though they label 2x4 or 6x6 it really isn't. they cheat you.

LindblomRJ
04-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, my dad is a contractor so he's always dealing with Home Depot and lumber. He has told me more than once that the lumber is always shrinking and are being milled smaller even though they label 2x4 or 6x6 it really isn't. they cheat you.

That has been going on for years. Example 2x4 is nominal dimension the actual dimensions are generally 1 1/2" x 3 1/2".

RedMax Man
04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh BTW when you get the timbers get some Ree rod to use for spikes to fasten them strong. The first layer you definitely want to use it so you have long rods that go deep into the ground and keep it from shifting if driven over. I you lay timbers over each other then you can use galvanized railroad type spikes. Get twice the length of the lumber meaning if you use a 6x6 then get 12" spikes. the rie rod comes in 12 - 18' lenghs but sometimes they have it in 12 or 16 inch length so if you have to cut with saw with medal blade then use around 16 - 18" lengths for the base layer. If you lay more than one layer then make you over lap the joints and it's just one layer then you might want to consider cutting a another on each end and the driving a spike though to keep the joined together. You will need a 1/2 drill bit for pre drilling the holes for spikes or rods. Also a regular cut off saw like a Makita or DeWalt won't work for cutting through a 6x6 all the way because its to thick. You have to cut on one side and then rotate the timber and cut the next all the way around which will leave an uncut square in the middle so you would have to cut that with a hand saw. If you have access to a large saw like framers use like the BigFoot then you can cut it with to passes because it has a larger blade.
just a few tips. let me know if you have any questions, i've done this stuff a few times so it have a some experience.