PDA

View Full Version : Drip Zone Question>>

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Filter before the reducer
or

Reducer before the filter..

do you all even use a reducer/filter?

we put the reducer>filter so on the blow out up in New England we dont blow the filter.....

Just wondering what others are doing......

lehrjetmx
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I put the valve in the the filter and the the reducer. We also put the filter in before the valves if we do multi drip zones on one system.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I put the valve in the the filter and the the reducer. We also put the filter in before the valves if we do multi drip zones on one system.

Thats a pretty smart idea..

i can totally understand a few zones of drip=1 reducer say goodnight.....

what kind of patters do you like to run?

square?wibbly wobbly? grid? i suppose the plantings dictate the pattern...

we usually use 12 inch netafim...no root intrusion what so ev..

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 03:49 PM
The drip filter should go on downstream of the valve because they are not made to hold constant pressure, the pressure reg should go on before the filter.
So it goes, valve-reg-filter

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
The drip filter should go on downstream of the valve because they are not made to hold constant pressure, the pressure reg should go on before the filter.

Bingo!

btw how goes it today mrs.shovel?

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Wonnerful just wonnerful dear....Aha! This was a drip trap huh?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Wonnerful just wonnerful dear....Aha! This was a drip trap huh?

Just seeing what you all are about....and i am in the process of diving into the archives...you all have been on this site for years...some great threads on estimates....

:)

so how long have you been in the biz mrs Shovel?

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
14 years, not an irrigation expert, I just come in here cuz I love the guys in this forum, they are a kick. Do not have AIM....too bad . Skype?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
14 years, not an irrigation expert, I just come in here cuz I love the guys in this forum, they are a kick. Do not have AIM....too bad . Skype?

I have aim...hit me up when ev....are you saying you dont have it?

what is skype? and will it try to slowly kill me?

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes I don't have it Skype is the best IM program. I gotta run now

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
ok, no problemo...googling right now...\
quick edit.....

i see no aim program just internet calling or something....
but im still investigating

sheshovel
04-27-2007, 04:27 PM
.............................yes calling but has chat too
it is free

bicmudpuppy
04-27-2007, 10:44 PM

The filter isn't designed for constant pressure? Somebody help me, that filter I have on the down side of my pump is going to blow and flood my electrics someday! If your filtering before the valves, then you want a good filter. The filter I have for general sprinkler use has a changeable screen. You put in the screen you need. Most Y filters are this way. Most systems should have a y filter before the backflow unless you can count on clean city water. Lets do some large drip and use Pressure reducing zone valves instead of in-line PRV's :) Opps, I forgot, she doesn't do large drip :)

sheshovel
04-28-2007, 03:22 AM
You are correct, I learned this business as I went, completely self taught way up in these hills where those applications are never required. I have no formal training whatsoever. I have had to learn the hard way and still am learning.

To attend the classes I need for irrigation, I would have to drive in the late afternoon, 45 minutes one way into a city all alone, that has a very high murder rate and a lot of crime, and 45 min back at night. Three nights a week at least.
I am very sorry I don't have the knowledge or experience you all do.
I am not an irrigation expert, I am a mountain landscaper.
These are the kind of filters you are talking about?
These are the kind of filters I use for residential drip irrigation.

bicmudpuppy
04-28-2007, 06:43 AM
You are correct, I learned this business as I went, completely self taught way up in these hills where those applications are never required. I have no formal training whatsoever. I have had to learn the hard way and still am learning.

To attend the classes I need for irrigation, I would have to drive in the late afternoon, 45 minutes one way into a city all alone, that has a very high murder rate and a lot of crime, and 45 min back at night. Three nights a week at least.
I am very sorry I don't have the knowledge or experience you all do.
I am not an irrigation expert, I am a mountain landscaper.
These are the kind of filters you are talking about?
These are the kind of filters I use for residential drip irrigation.

The only reason "your" filter is listed for non-pressure is the materials it is made from and its manufacturer (bird I believe, could be hunter). They make quality filters in the same size. No reason to add the expense on small stuff, but if you jump to a 1" filter for any reason, a better quality would be worth the expense.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-28-2007, 07:44 AM
come on guys take it ez on sheshovel...

we all are/were pups..Lets rember that...
I'll take her polite advice and her 14 years of trial/error than all of your snooty/hoighty toity comments iv heard in my less than 100 posts...

I think her method trial/error is a great way to learn..and seems to work good for me...

have a great day guys im going to dig

londonrain
04-28-2007, 10:43 AM

This is correct...Rain Bird has a drip kit with a ball valve, filter, reducer and a dv100 3/4". Back in the early 90's Rain Bird instructions for the kit suggested it be installed as so; ball valve, filter, dv100 then reducer. Like "She " stated the drip filter will blow with the pressure. A few weeks ago I cut out the final two drip filters on a system because two out of the three had failed.

Wet_Boots
04-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I think Rainbird has shown filters on either side of a zone valve - upstream placement was supposed to improve the operation of a zone valve at low flows.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 11:24 AM
A filter (Wye strainer or equiv.) upstream of the backflow device is commonly
prohibited as a cross-connection. Is this not true in your territory?

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
prohibited as a cross-connection. Is this not true in your territory?

RPs and other devices can have a strainer upstream from them in a lot of instances. If you visit the major backflow players they'll show pictures, CAD drawings, etc. of just such complete units.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Hunter and RainBird both sell complete drip or xerigation all-in-one valve, wye, etc. ready to install as a unit.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
We've had great results w/ Rain-Birds automatic filter kit when the entire
system is running crummy water, you can then program flush cycles.

Wet_Boots
04-28-2007, 12:25 PM
prohibited as a cross-connection. Is this not true in your territory?I would be interested in seeing some written confirmation of this 'prohibition' ~ nothing verbal, no hearsay, but actual documented codes and regulations.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I would be interested in seeing some written confirmation of this 'prohibition' ~ nothing verbal, no hearsay, but actual documented codes and regulations.

I will get some regs for you boots, when you think about cross-connections,it
makes sense.

Wet_Boots
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I will get some regs for you boots, when you think about cross-connections,it
makes sense.To me, it does not make sense. I believe codes should be written to prevent accidental cross-contamination. If there is a move to extend regulations to try to cover intentional acts, then a very large can of worms is being opened.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 12:47 PM
To me, it does not make sense. I believe codes should be written to prevent accidental cross-contamination. If there is a move to extend regulations to try to cover intentional acts, then a very large can of worms is being opened.

Next... we'll have to deal with Homeland Security laws intended for the terrorist plot to contaminate drinking water through unprotected irrigation systems. Penalty for not installing a proper cross-connection device will be a hood over the head and a free trip to Gitmo. They'll even make sure the offending irrigator receives no Lawn Genie beer or Otter Pops during their incarceration. :p

irrig8r
04-28-2007, 12:53 PM

On mutiple drip zones I use a Wilkins BR-4 regulator and an Amiad filter before the valves. This filter is the only one I know designed for constant pressure and is available in 1".

It only pays to do this with our or more valves IMO, but they need not be together, just a separate main branch to drip valves.

Just depends on your layout.

BTW, the BR-4 is adjustable from 25 to 75 P.S.I.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Cross connection codes are not written for people who take regular care, they are written for employees we've all had.

Wet_Boots
04-28-2007, 01:10 PM
On mutiple drip zones I use a Wilkins BR-4 regulator and an Amiad filter before the valves.

BTW, the BR-4 is adjustable from 25 to 75 P.S.I.The BR-4 is adjustable to 150 psi, which makes it a bit more useful than the standard PRVs, with their 75 psi top end. (although you can often adjust them higher than that)

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Hunter and RainBird both sell complete drip or xerigation all-in-one valve, wye, etc. ready to install as a unit.

Those are what we use..but i belive that we switch our reducer before the filter....

the complete package is the way to go and what we use.I love how it also has the valve with it....Ser PWNING

lehrjetmx
05-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I know that you can run into problems if you put the pressure regulator before the valve. We found 2 like that and after time the valve's were having problems opening and closing. We only found that out after swapping out solenoids and replacing diaphrams. We removed the p/r and wala the valve started to work again.