PDA

View Full Version : "Ill mow it every other week"

FiveOJoe
04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Got a customer that asked me to cut every other week and she would take care of it in between my cuts. Looking to grow in the neighborhood so I took the job. I show up 9 days ago on a Wednesday and it had not been cut the previous week as promised. She said she got busy. I cut it and she said she would see me in two weeks. I just went by the house and it has not been cut (9 days) and is already very long. I will show up next Wednesday (14 days) and it will be VERY LONG and I should.............................................................................................. ..................................????

RedMax Man
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Who does she think you are:hammerhead: " you cut one week, i'll cut the next, you cut the next week, I'll cut the next":laugh: :dizzy:
She's taking advantage of you... she may have to be dumped. Doesn't sound like it's gonna get any better. Sorry about that but thats the craziest agreement.

FiveOJoe
04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Who does she think you are:hammerhead: " you cut one week, i'll cut the next, you cut the next week, I'll cut the next":laugh: :dizzy:
She's taking advantage of you... she may have to be dumped. Doesn't sound like it's gonna get any better. Sorry about that but thats the craziest agreement.

Oh, I'm aware of what she is trying to pull off. I'm just wondering should I just drive by and ignore her or call her to tell her I'm not doing it anymore.
As far as the agreement, I figured she may have just wanted a good edging and trimming along with the mowing every other week and was looking to save some money. I did see she had a mower so I told he I would do it as long as she did cut it.

I'm trying not to be confrontational and thought it was a new twist on an old game of " I just want it cut twice a month."

Horsepower Lawns
04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I was doing that for a lady, because her husband was gone every other week. They cut like they said they would.

Just show up like they want, but talk to her about the price going up BEFORE you cut it.

Mr Priceless
04-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Got a customer that asked me to cut every other week and she would take care of it in between my cuts. Looking to grow in the neighborhood so I took the job. I show up 9 days ago on a Wednesday and it had not been cut the previous week as promised. She said she got busy. I cut it and she said she would see me in two weeks. I just went by the house and it has not been cut (9 days) and is already very long. I will show up next Wednesday (14 days) and it will be VERY LONG and I should.............................................................................................. ..................................????

if she doesn't hold her end of the bargain, you have no other choice to drop her....but first, "accidentally" forget the yard for about a month, ignore her calls for a month, and then call back saying you were "busy" too, OOPS:rolleyes:

RedMax Man
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh, I'm aware of what she is trying to pull off. I'm just wondering should I just drive by and ignore her or call her to tell her I'm not doing it anymore.
As far as the agreement, I figured she may have just wanted a good edging and trimming along with the mowing every other week and was looking to save some money. I did see she had a mower so I told he I would do it as long as she did cut it.

I'm trying not to be confrontational and thought it was a new twist on an old game of " I just want it cut twice a month."

Definitly call her and let her know that you won't be doing it any more and thanks for you business ( if you don't want here business anymore). I here of way to many LCO's dumping clients for whatever reason and not telling them, just leaving the customer hanging. Not a good business practice.

If she just wants a good edging and trimming everyonce in a while then ask her to give you a call when she needs you and you'll come and do it but it will be per service depending on what needs to be done.

GreenN'Clean
04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Charge her extra cause its twice the work

haybaler
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I could have told you right from the start never to take the job. that's an automatic no-no. if they say it only needs to be cut every other week tell them you'll try it, but if it's too long you have to do it every week. if they happily except fine, if not walk away. if they say they will cut it in between walk away, they NEVER do. Think about it, if they were going to cut there grass they never would have called you in the first place!! duh!

SILVERSTREAK INC
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
hah people...

id have fun with it...call her and tell her it will be another 4 days because youre running behind...and then dont show,.......shell be at some 20 days without a cut and theres no way shes gonna find another guy to cut for the price youre doing it for when the grass is 2 feet high

then she'll either pay an enourmus bill to the next guy or spend 2 days cutting and bagging with a push mower..

i dont think shell do the 2 week thing again

HOOLIE
04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
A lawn service is a luxury service. If they can't spend the money then it's not for them. I don't make money off 'half customers'.

C&K
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with Redmax man. Be professional.

ChadsLawn
04-27-2007, 05:36 PM
send her a bill for the extra cutting your having to do.

John Gamba
04-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Keep driving

hackitdown
04-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Offer her your standard service at a fair price, and if she won't go for it, it is time to move on.

StBalor
04-27-2007, 05:58 PM
charge her double. And if she don't like it she will drop you. Best thing she could do for you imo.

Allens LawnCare
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Did you give her a quote for a weekly cut or biweekly....you should always quote higher for biweekly because its more work, more grass etc.

bohiaa
04-28-2007, 01:26 AM

I'll Fill in the blank .................................tell her to go to hell

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-28-2007, 08:08 AM
A lawn service is a luxury service. If they can't spend the money then it's not for them. I don't make money off 'half customers'.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it a "luxury" service. I mean to some people it is, but others have legitimate excuses like they can't keep up with the yard due to health or a busy schedule. Although you'd think by some of the attitudes on this board that some LCO's feel their services are the most important thing out there.

Tom c.
04-28-2007, 08:46 AM
If it isnt cut on the week in between then charge her double=double height=double price. But truthfully I think she trieing to get over shes probably got a bunch of excuses. Id move on :usflag:

LawnBrother
04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Before just dropping her, try talking to her. Tell her you'll cut it EOW regardless of whether she cut it or not, but the price will now be $XX.XX. If she goes for your new price great. If not then dump her, but at least try to a profitable/worthwhile account first. I have no problem dumping aggravating accounts these days, but I always try to salvage them first. I think retention is important. If the account is profitable, not dangerous to cut, and they pay on time then I always try to keep them happy and on the schedule for as long as possible.

topsites
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, you have two choices here, depends some on your mood...
1) Drop her if you can't see your way out of it.
> Ignoring calls is a possibility, and if you must do that then ok, but I learned over the years it is better to let them in on things so it's not as backhanded or sleazy looking an act from their end (more on this).

2)
Charge her extra cause its twice the work

Yup, do it and leave a bill with the appropriate amount charge.
You might get a phonecall, be prepared to explain the charge.
That's what I'm getting ready to do on a few, by the way it's extra when my 15hp Kohler starts to choking and gasping and coughing. Yes, I charge at least $70 pmh for abusing my machine like that.
> Now if it just reduces the rpm's a little that's normal, I'm talking about when I'm putting along in 2nd gear and the engine's fixing to cut off on me because it's so thick and tall.
Oh, and make sure you get paid before you go out again.
If you don't get paid, you'll need some collections steps to take, lawn site has those, too.

Other notes:

Uhm, I usually send a short but polite 1-2 sentence letter, I find when I call them (and they answer) things tend to get argumentative, or worse yet they talk me back into it but that's just me...

Lawnboy85
04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
if she doesn't hold her end of the bargain, you have no other choice to drop her....but first, "accidentally" forget the yard for about a month, ignore her calls for a month, and then call back saying you were "busy" too, OOPS:rolleyes:

"Accidentally" forgetting to mow the lawn doesn't come across as being professional. Mr. Priceless, I know you are better than that, and "accidentally" forgetting is something a 12 year old would do. I bet if you had to rewrite your response, you'd answer it differently. Handle it like a professional, and be the bigger person. You can essentially put them in their place by saying this:
"I will no longer mow the lawn every other week. It's every week, or find someone else. Otherwise, I will have to CHARGE EXTRA to mow the lawn if it's knee-high." She will soon see how inconvenient it is for her to mow it when it's that tall.

Lohse's Lawn Service

HOOLIE
04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it a "luxury" service. I mean to some people it is, but others have legitimate excuses like they can't keep up with the yard due to health or a busy schedule. Although you'd think by some of the attitudes on this board that some LCO's feel their services are the most important thing out there.

So you'd cut someone some slack for having a 'busy schedule'????

Unless the customer is in a wheelchair, it's a luxury. Old people can move into a retirement community or figure out how to pay to keep their property up.

As for the original post...that's just one of those kooky, non-profit making arrangements.

razor1
04-28-2007, 11:58 PM

If all else fails. Raise your mower height so it will be even more obvious that it needs to be cut every week.

lifetree
04-29-2007, 12:51 AM

I second this approach !!

lurch
04-29-2007, 01:49 AM
You know....for being so "professional" you 'experts' are very unprofessional...i've only been in this business for a short time but i already know that in order to keep my good name in this community i have to sometimes bite the bullet...now i'm not saying this guy needs to just cut it...he should have known that this woman would never get around to cutting her lawn...i always charge a little more for bi-weekly cuts regardless if its getting cut in the off weeks....reason being is i have to change my route up every other week and they need to understand that...if not...peace out....

as for you so called 'experts'....try using another approach towards your customers and you might see a dramatic increase in business...i'm not saying you're not already successful....just if you tried using some judgement you may get even larger....just my .02

Lawnboy85
04-29-2007, 03:15 AM
You know....for being so "professional" you 'experts' are very unprofessional...i've only been in this business for a short time but i already know that in order to keep my good name in this community i have to sometimes bite the bullet...now i'm not saying this guy needs to just cut it...he should have known that this woman would never get around to cutting her lawn...i always charge a little more for bi-weekly cuts regardless if its getting cut in the off weeks....reason being is i have to change my route up every other week and they need to understand that...if not...peace out....

as for you so called 'experts'....try using another approach towards your customers and you might see a dramatic increase in business...i'm not saying you're not already successful....just if you tried using some judgement you may get even larger....just my .02

Amen. I couldn't agree more.

ncls
04-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Good luck to you ....and your silly friend....

John Gamba
04-29-2007, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=lurch;1812021]You know....i've only been in this business for a short time

It show's:hammerhead:

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-29-2007, 08:07 AM
So you'd cut someone some slack for having a 'busy schedule'????

Unless the customer is in a wheelchair, it's a luxury. Old people can move into a retirement community or figure out how to pay to keep their property up.

As for the original post...that's just one of those kooky, non-profit making arrangements.

I wouldn't cut someone slack for a busy schedule. I think it's just the term luxury. I guess I just don't equate having your grass cut to having a private jet or a limo. I think it's just my view of the term luxury. How do you think this is non-profit making though? Isn't this just a bi-weekly cut? Why can't it be priced higher and fit into the schedule accordingly? I have a few customers like this and I make money off of it and they're happy. I'm normally right with you Hoolie, I don't think I understand this time though.

I'm just suprised at how quickly some of the people on this board are ready to go dropping customers, this is just a bi-weekly cut, what's so hard about pricing and doing that? I realize that we run a business to make a profit and live a good life, I do the same, but it seems like the instant a customer wants something other than to drop $50 every week on GRASS CUTTING, they're dropped and called a "PITA". I can't tell you how many times I hear the guy never showed up, never called back, wasn't doing what I asked, etc. And then I do the work and all they wanted was the driveway edged or something trimmed. There is surely some professionalism lacking in this business.

Eakern & Dog
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I think she basically is trying to get a weekly price out of you for double the work or she may be honestly too busy. At any rate, consider sending her a bill with the additional costs associated with extra work involved. If she nags about the extra cost then kindly inform her that is your bi-weekly price based on the lawn being cut every two weeks rather than every week . I would let her know that as a " courtesy" you will continue to view her account as bi-weekly, by giving her the CHOICE to mow when she has time and to have you mow for a "small" additional cost when she does not have time to mow on her week(s).

She may just pay your bill and not even say anything and in that case you will get what's fair and she will understand that you are not letting her re-neg on her side of the agreement

garrettlawn
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
We have one account like that and the guys pays us $60 every other week to mow, trim, edge, blow and he mows inbetween weeks. (This is probably a $40) Yard. The customer knows that if we show up after two weeks and the yard has not been cut he is going to get billed $85 because of the extra time and cleanup we would have to do on that thick ole bermuda. That is how we handled the situation. He has not missed his part of the deal yet though. He just simply hates to edge and trim but like mowing the yard. So we kinda just do the whole nine yards for him every other week. I consider him a good customer.

creatived
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
PUT STARTER FERTILIZER ON IT AND CUT TWICE A WEEK INSTEAD:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

Roger
04-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I would have not considered the job in the beginning, but not for the reasons stated above. I have had a couple requests like this over the years, and I have politely said "no" in all cases. In the cases that came to me, the potential customers were convenient (across the street), had seen my work in their neighborhood, and were impressed. They were honest enough to say that they really wanted their yard to be trimmed out every other week. Their idea was to mow for the week between, but they did not have trimming equipment, or weren't able to trim (they had riding tractors). They had seen my work long enough to know that I trimmed each visit, so if I mowed on the off-week, their yard would be trimmed.

I turned down their request because I did not want their "signature" on a property that I mow. I regard each finished job a marketing brochure for others to see. If their lawn tractor, and their effort, was associated with a property that people would see me working, albeit every other week, I would be associated with a result I did not want.

My rejection had nothing to do with concern for them not doing the work, height of grass when I showed, extra work involved, etc. It had everything to do with how my work was being perceived in the neighborhood.

For this reason, if somebody chooses to do some mowing between my visits, I send them a letter telling them I will not return. The signature left on the property is either theirs, or mine, but not "ours."

prosperity
04-29-2007, 09:18 PM
For this reason, if somebody chooses to do some mowing between my visits, I send them a letter telling them I will not return. The signature left on the property is either theirs, or mine, but not "ours."

Very good point - and I agree!

FiveOJoe
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Well. as many of you have pointed out, I'm a dumbass for taking the account, but as I stated I was trying to break into the new neighborhood. As it turns out I got 3 other jobs on the same gate drop so it was worth it, but I now don't want to get a bad rep and drop her wrong. I was just looking for a tactful way to handle the problem. It is a very small lot at $30 bucks and takes 20 minutes to do so It's not a major issue.

I'll call her tomorrow and let her know this arrangement isn't going to work and we have to revisit the agreement. :) :) but that I'm willing to work with her.

Midwest Lawn Services
04-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Don't want to be confrontational? Come on! Your setting a presedent by not confronting this situation. If not for your own sake...do it for your business! You let one get away with it, the rest will follow. Clients are not indisposable. You should have never agreed to this in the first place!:hammerhead:

Chilehead
04-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Wise up, man! Tell her the grass needs cut weekly and if she can't do that much, then double your price for double the labor. If she throws a fit, you need to walk and use this as a learning experience. Va a Dios.

HOOLIE
04-30-2007, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't cut someone slack for a busy schedule. I think it's just the term luxury. I guess I just don't equate having your grass cut to having a private jet or a limo. I think it's just my view of the term luxury. How do you think this is non-profit making though? Isn't this just a bi-weekly cut? Why can't it be priced higher and fit into the schedule accordingly? I have a few customers like this and I make money off of it and they're happy. I'm normally right with you Hoolie, I don't think I understand this time though.

Well maybe luxury is not the best term, but for the vast majority of people, a lawn service is not a true necessity. When you think of it this way, it's a lot easier to not waste your time on strange arrangements with customers. Take a pass on them, and let them call any of the gazillion other LCO's out there. Most people wanting every other week service are just being cheap. If they can't afford it, or don't WANT to afford it, it's just easier for me to not deal with them altogether.

FiveOJoe
04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Problem solved.:)