PDA

View Full Version : How to get insured

green-pa
04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, I'd like to know how to go about getting some basic insurance for my new business. I have a new customer that is pushing me over the edge. He's right next door to me and is $160 month income ( for the cuts ) that will surely more than pay for insurance.

Can anyone tell me how and where to find the most affordable rates in Indiana? And do I have to get other liscences first or register the business?

Thanks!

LushGreenLawn
04-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Call an insurance agent. You need a business even if you don't have insurance, but yes, you will need to get it first.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm going to register next week as a company. A few possible customers asked if I was insured and I plan on doing it. But I'm not sure whether I want to register as a Sole proprietership through the city for 60$ or be a LLC through the state which would take a little more time. I'm leaning LLC, either way should I get registered first then insurance or viceversa? I know once I register as either it will be a PITA to switch.

bishoplandscape
04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
You have to have a registered business name before an insurance company can wright you a policy. As for the cheapest call around no company's insurance will be the same.:dizzy:

LushGreenLawn
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
As as LLC, you still need to be licensed with the state and in most cases, your city. Forming an LLC does not give you a business licence. You will need your business license before you can get insurance. My Insurance runs around $471 a year, but also covers my mowers and equipment against loss. It would have been $450 without the extra coverage.

pjslawncare/landscap
04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
You have to have a registered business name before an insurance company can wright you a policy. As for the cheapest call around no company's insurance will be the same.:dizzy:

Here in Indiana u dont. I have commercial truck insurance, workmans comp and gen liability and Im running dba.

MOWEMJEFF
04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Ya the business license is only 10$ through the city, least of my worries. But you only pay 21$ extra to cover your equipment LUSHGREEN? I was thinking I would pass on that this year but for 21$ sign me up.

Gaturf
04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I pay about 450 a year for 500,000 worth of coverage.
ga turf

bohiaa
04-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I pay about 450 a year for 500,000 worth of coverage.
ga turf

DAMN that seems high..... 550 fora million.... includes Gen for equptment...

But I guess you havent been in business for 3 yrs yet ?

it's a little higher

Gaturf
04-28-2007, 08:56 AM
DAMN that seems high..... 550 fora million.... includes Gen for equptment...

But I guess you havent been in business for 3 yrs yet ?

it's a little higher

no its not high.....it would have cost me about 550 to 575 for a million. just thought id save a little money this year. plus your auto insurance covers all your equipment.

gaturf

Gaturf
04-28-2007, 08:58 AM
this guys is asking about liability insurance right? or is he wanting to know about covering his equipment?

ga turf

LushGreenLawn
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Mine is $450 for 1 Million, $21 extra to cover Zero Turn for $6000, and $1000 for misc equipment. I do not have coverage for my trailer, that is a seperate policy, and my family owns a large trailer dealership, not to hard for me to get another trailer on the spot if the worst happens.

Rizzo
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Call an agent and they will tell you if they can insure under your name or need a business name. If you are a solo operator then they might not even care if there is a business name since it is you they are insuring. I pay $358 per year for 1mill liability, mow, snow and $15k equipment coverage (no spraying or fert). Shop around, it doesn't cost you extra to get quotes but make sure they cover for what you need. Truck and trailer are State Farm and listed as business use which only upped my monthly by like $3.