PDA

View Full Version : well- guess can't flush out gas/oil mix..motor locked!

mowisme
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I guess the hydro system is on hold for now (I got it drained and new oil in ) as the motor won't turn over to circulate the fluid. He told me motor was getting tired..little tight, but guess he meant it was locked up. won't budge. had only 3/4 qt oil in it. It is a twin cylinder 21 or 23 hp Kawi. Is it worth trying to re-ring- or just get another motor? I could try wd-40 in cylinders but I am guessing the cylinders are scored? It did sit since last year..so maybe it is just 'stuck'..but not looking good. to bad- looks to be a great motor. From past experience..what would you guys recomend. I hate to buy new motor as I don't even know if hydro pumps and hydro motors are still good? thanks for any info- Gene

Restrorob
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
There's more to it than just rings if it was ran all the way down to 3/4 quart of oil.
Crank, Rods, Pistons, Cam, Governor assembly, Valves & guides and possibly mains.

A tear-down inspection is in order to determine the damage.

But, Remove the plugs and make sure it's not liquid locked (fuel flooded in cylinders). If it's dry then start by pulling the heads, If the cylinders are scored I don't believe I would go any further.

It's a shame you didn't check the engine before spending the time and oil on the hydro system....

mowisme
04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
yea..I should have done the motor test first. live and learn. I'll do some checking on it before dumping more $ into it. Thanks again Gene

topsites
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM
You might consider running a synthetic oil in the future, helps prevent this considerably, I haven't seized one in years and I get pretty stupid with my engines.

mini14
04-29-2007, 12:59 PM
ive seized engines before....pull the head, spray some penatrating oil in there. use a piece of wood and hammer it lightly till the piston moves. reassemble and off u go. if it reseizes then u got probs. if runs, stop worrying about it...