PDA

View Full Version : Too late to start?

LakeCountry
08-06-2001, 07:01 PM
The sale of our house and subsequent move to our new town took much longer than expected. I am now ready to start operations but it is August in Minnesota and I only have three months left to do any work. Any ideas? I have a great business plan in place and the support of my wife as well - I really want to get started so I can pick up some fall clean-up work and plowing contracts...

I am pretty sure I am going for it hells bells but I wanted to get your opinions...

Thanks guys!

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 07:06 PM
Odds are good that you wont get too many calls for the maintenance end of the biz right now, however there is no time like the present to get your name out there and get the ball rolling.

I would treat this month as if it were February and you were going to be starting in March. Instead of looking for Spring Clean-Ups you are advertiseing for Fall C-U's. Now is also the perfect time to line up Aeration and Overseeding after the dry summer most have shared.

Just keep in mind that the growing season is just around the corner and theres always business if your looking for it!:D

Best of Luck!
Kris

guntruck
08-06-2001, 07:10 PM
We started last year late in the fall im talking like september (early) and was amazed at the amount of work we got and about 10 accounts were lawns!!! There are always people dropping companys that there not happy with just make sure your name is in front of them when they do!!! Good Luck with your start up

lawnboy82
08-06-2001, 07:24 PM
it probably right now is not the best time to be picking up lawn accounts. however its a pretty good time to look at snow accounts, and usually they lead to lawns if i am not mistaken.

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by lawnboy82
... however its a pretty good time to look at snow accounts, and usually they lead to lawns if i am not mistaken. No you are not. The potential to coincide is definitely great!

Kris

dhicks
08-06-2001, 07:33 PM
Do it... You can't start soon enough when it comes to next year.

XOFMOT
08-06-2001, 08:45 PM
I started my LC operation in the begining of JULY this year, I did flyers, small ad in local paper, truck signs. I now have a handfull of accounts. This is just the way I wanted it to grow, Slow in the begining at a pace that would allow me to "LEARN" more about this business. Sure I could have gone out and bought one of the local companies in my area that are for sale and had 70 accounts right off the bat. I was not experienced enough to take on this many so now I work at my own pace--growing and growing as each week goes on.

Get your name out there! Look as professional as you can, SMILE to everyone! My first account lead to their neighbor to ask me to do thier property. Do a good job! All the accounts I have, are being done with a 21" Honda mower, and homeowner power equipment. I will advance to the "REAL" equipment when I feel it is needed. I am not a scrub and don't you become one. I get an average of $35.00 per hour with a $30.00 minimum charge to do someones property. I am registered as an LLC with my state, Insured, collect sales tax and so on. I also recomend an accountant and lawyer. Be professional and they will come!

So get your name out thier and happy lawncare! Good luck!

crazygator
08-06-2001, 09:25 PM
Well I dont know how it is there, but here in Tennessee fall clean up and leaf removal starts in, well yes, "THE FALL". I would advertise, knock on doors, send out brochures etc...And you should get something. Even if it's the overrun of the already established LCO. Get started now and remember to do the same in Feb. to get next year started off to a bang!

HOMER
08-06-2001, 10:01 PM
I would attempt to make contact with other LCO's in your "new" area. Ask them if they would refer you if they are full. No time like the present to get to know your competition and let them know your in town................might work. I surely wouldn't sit around and wait til next year..........get busy!

Runner
08-07-2001, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by lawnboy82 [/i]
its a pretty good time to look at snow accounts, and usually they lead to lawns if i am not mistaken.

Man! And here, all this time, I thought it was the other way around!!!:D LOL

joshua
08-07-2001, 01:17 AM
irragation, falls is coming fast and you could set up thatching and aeroating, and over seeding, i like what lawnboy said, about snow, minn. gets alot of snow from what i've seen and that could keep you from sinking this year. give it a shot. most new accounts that i get ask if we do snow, i don't know if it plays a part in if we get the account but people don't want to pay 2 different people to servce their house that 1 person can do.

hustlers
08-07-2001, 11:38 PM
I own a lawn maintenance business around that
area and believe the market is overcrowded.
There were about 30 new LCO's started over the last
2 years and they all went out and bought new
mowers but the good accounts are taking by reputable
companies and the bad ones arents getting mowed
because of dry weather. The snow market might have
some room but last year was the first in 3 years where the
plow guys actually plowed snow, because lack of.
You should be able to get a lot of cleanups though because
that part wont be overcrowded but the mowing is.
Goood luck

taz72373
08-14-2001, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crazygator
I would advertise, knock on doors, send out brochures etc...

Ya advertising is great edvice like newspapers, phone book, brochers etc.. but knock door to door to me seems unprofessional. The one thing I hate more than anything is someone knocking on my door wanting me to buy something or try to sell me some kind of service. Now if its going to a bussiness that you know puts out a contract thats different. But not professional to home owners where these days the man on the other side could open the door and shoot you. If the home owner wants a lawn care service they'll call the last guy they saw with a sign on the side of his truck or the guy they see going around town all the time because they remember his number.

Gross your fingers and hope for a good turn out.

Tommy

LakeCountry
09-01-2001, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I had a computer virus and wasn't able to check in. I have started some advertising and will be concentrating on plowing later this fall. I am emphasizing the clean-ups at this point so hopefully it will turn.

Thanks again!