PDA

View Full Version : OK PRO'S...Riddle me this...

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
im a pup yes...i dont know everything about irrigation yes..

I enjoy this site and am in the process of sucking manna out of all the archives..so I have my Poly pipe installing down pat...wiring simple no problemo..

I was wondering what is the best way to talk to homeowners..

Example..
How do i explain Static pressure,GPM,working pressure,basic hydraulics to a Homeowner with out blowing their top off......

they try to ask me well lets just add a few more sprinkler heads I explain we cant cause our gallons are well exceded...I could bump down Nozzles and up times but that is cheesebagging....and wasting water....I suppose im asking how do i explain the basics to a CustHOME owner?

Wet_Boots
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I was wondering what is the best way to talk to homeowners..Probably in a different manner than you've been demonstrating on this forum... :p

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Probably in a different manner than you've been demonstrating on this forum...

That is clearly obvious...but i approached this fourm with the wrong attitude...I thought all could take a joke, liked having fun...But it seems like having fun to you all is taking Flows in peoples basments on a sat>sunday....

I approach making $$ in a entirely different manner...
Just a question.....a simple "no I choose not to help you will suffice".....

thanks WB anyone else?

Dirty Water
04-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Its pretty simple to explain. Try an analogy.

Adding another sprinkler to a line that is already using all available GPM, and there isn't enough pressure to nozzle down and still get good coverage is like writing a bad check, you can do it, but you don't have any money (water) to back it up.

irrig8r
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
If you KNOW your subject and you know how to talk to people it should come easy.

Don't try to baffle 'em with BS...

Don't try to dazzle 'em with your brilliance either...

Don't talk down to them, but BE the expert and KNOW what you're talking about... Don't PRETEND to be the expert when you're not...

Don't laugh at their weird notions of what's going wrong when you go out to troubleshoot their system...

Don't tell dumb jokes...

Don't fake it... and never argue with the customer...

Don't sell 'em on something they don't need...

Your reputation will follow you around, whatever you make it...

..........................................................................................

Just to simplify.... what they're buying from you is a the assurance of a green/ landscape, NOT pipe, valves and heads.

Most homeowners want some idea that you picked out the best equipment to do the job, and that it will get done... And that you'll back up your work with some kind of guarantee...

Unless they're engineeers, most of them don't care about the nuts and bolts..

You may be INTO what you do and how you do it and why, and want to tell them all about it. But most would rather you just get it done and charge whatever they consider to be a fair price...

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Its pretty simple to explain. Try an analogy.

Adding another sprinkler to a line that is already using all available GPM, and there isn't enough pressure to nozzle down and still get good coverage is like writing a bad check, you can do it, but you don't have any money (water) to back it up.

BANG POW...

very thats the awnser i was looking for...

so its like ordering a pizza delivery.....when the pizza dude shows up on your door step and you 12 dollars short, you dont get food......

obv i would toss in some fancy words i learned in college......

Thanks DW

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
If you KNOW your subject and you know how to talk to people it should come easy.

Don't try to baffle 'em with BS...

Don't try to dazzle 'em with your brilliance either...

Don't talk down to them, but BE the expert and KNOW what you're talking about... Don't PRETEND to be the expert when you're not...

Don't laugh at their weird notions of what's going wrong when you go out to troubleshoot their system...

Don't tell dumb jokes...

Don't fake it... and never argue with the customer...

Don't sell 'em on something they don't need...

Your reputation will follow you around, whatever you make it...

If my boss could type faster than 2 words a min..you both would get along great on this Message board....

bicmudpuppy
04-27-2007, 11:49 PM
If my boss could type faster than 2 words a min..you both would get along great on this Message board....

Might be why he is the boss and............well, boots said it better already

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 02:38 AM
You have to use a LOT of spit to polish up someone/something that has little panache.

sheshovel
04-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Right, don't try to explain in detail, you will lose their interest quickly. When the ask why, just say, because you haven't got enough water pressure to run them.
Simple as that. Not so much the pizza thing, more like if your heart can't pump enough blood to keep your blood pressure up ya start to die. If you don't have enough pressure to add more heads, and you add them anyway, all the sprinklers will start to die.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 03:00 AM
If you don't have enough pressure to add more heads, and you add them anyway, all the sprinklers will start to die.

Sprinklers are inanimate objects and can't die. However, their turf and plants would. :laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Might be why he is the boss and............well, boots said it better already

i call my boss the irrigation nazi...

he got mad @ me 1 day cause my hands were in my pockets for 3 accounts in a row during the blow out..

no lie..im 26 and he is 38.....great guy good friend, and also my irrigation mentor

SprinklerGuy
04-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Right, don't try to explain in detail, you will lose their interest quickly. When the ask why, just say, because you haven't got enough water pressure to run them.
Simple as that. Not so much the pizza thing, more like if your heart can't pump enough blood to keep your blood pressure up ya start to die. If you don't have enough pressure to add more heads, and you add them anyway, all the sprinklers will start to die.

Whatever you do don't say this...just in case the homeowner is smart enough to realize it isn't the pressure that causes this....

SIGH

bobw
04-28-2007, 11:20 AM
he got mad @ me 1 day cause my hands were in my pockets for 3 accounts in a row during the blow out..
r

That is the one thing I can not tolerate. I had a helper that had that habit. Even if there was nothing to do but watch me do a tricky bit on a repair, if I look up and see hands in pocket, that tells me a person doesn't really want to work. After a couple weeks of me being pi$$ed off about him always seeming to have his hands in his pockets, he was encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.

To get back to the original question:

The vast majority of homeowners (and probably half of all irrigators) can't/don't understand the relationships between water pressure and volume. In fact a lot of people don't even know there is a difference. When I get a customer that wants to add heads onto a line that's pretty fully subscribed, I just tell them that we can only take so much water out of a water line and that we are already using all that that line can carry. I definitely don't get into numbers or theory with them, its my job to figure out how to make something work, not theirs.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:49 AM
The vast majority of homeowners (and probably half of all irrigators) can't/don't understand the relationships between water pressure and volume.

I think you may be generous on the installer end. :laugh:

In fact a lot of people don't even know there is a difference. When I get a customer that wants to add heads onto a line that's pretty fully subscribed, I just tell them that we can only take so much water out of a water line and that we are already using all that that line can carry. I definitely don't get into numbers or theory with them, its my job to figure out how to make something work, not theirs.

A good designer will use the proven principles of "adjusted pressure (PSI)" and "adjusted supply (GPM)" when designing a new system. Basically you never want to totally max out a zone or system to its present PSI/GPM and hedge a little (usually 10%) for future fluctuations in both. If the hydraulics do stay the same in the future (for example: after all homes in an area are finally built and are drawing from the same water supply) then a sprinkler or two (depending on other factors such as piping route and size) can be easily added onto a zone(s) when changes are made to the property.

In my current situation school sites are always in a state of flux and some thinking ahead is a must. This may mean installing capped tees for future expansion, running extra wiring or installing, say, only 11 large rotors on a field zone instead of 12 and ensuring that the laterals are 1-2 sizes larger towards the end of a zone instead of deadheading at the last sprinkler with a 1" lateral.