PDA

View Full Version : Leaf removal/mulching question?

lawrence stone
08-06-2001, 08:37 PM
How much would you charge to "take care" of the area in the attached photo?

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 08:46 PM
Are you talking a one time clean-up of the pictured debris or a regular fall contract???

What are the dimensions of the lot too???

Thanks Stone.
Kris

lawnboy82
08-06-2001, 08:52 PM
can you blow the leaves off to the right, or do you have to remove them? what is the situation there?

poghead
08-06-2001, 08:54 PM
Hard to judge the depth of field,65 -85 $ and leave the bags in front at the curb. How's that sound ?

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 08:55 PM
I think if thats how you would "Take Care" of the lot then that is how he wants you to submit your price. :)

Kris

powerreel
08-06-2001, 09:01 PM
$500 dump included

AltaLawnCare
08-06-2001, 09:22 PM
I'm betting Stone would charge about the price of a triple cut, and maybe a fert. app.

lawrence stone
08-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru
Are you talking a one time clean-up of the pictured debris or a regular fall contract???

What are the dimensions of the lot too???

Thanks Stone.
Kris

Yes one time clean up/mulch.

About 100 x 100 I guess.

Just Cut
08-06-2001, 09:34 PM
200.00 including dump fee

mdb landscaping
08-06-2001, 09:56 PM
$120 if i could blow them into the woods.

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input Stone. :)

I would give them a quote of $50 mulched for a one-time shot, and $100 for a bagged cut with the clippings removed.

Lawn-Scapes
08-06-2001, 10:04 PM
How much would you charge Mr. Stone?

HOMER
08-06-2001, 10:15 PM
I could have that done in less than an hour. Probably $60.00.

Where in this country would somebody pay $500.00?

Lawn-Scapes
08-06-2001, 10:22 PM
I could probably have it done in an hour too... but I would charge for two... in case.

It would probably take a home owner 4 or more and most around here would be happy to pay the $120.

$500 is a bit steep...

HOMER
08-06-2001, 10:30 PM
My annual accounts get in this shape at the height of leaf season. I have to do it anyway for the same money...........just part of the deal.

Got it down to a science:D

I would still charge $500.00 if I could get it though.

Barkleymut
08-06-2001, 10:52 PM
I would charge about $125 If I could dispose of on-site. About $190 if I had to haul away. That job would take me an hour to 1) Mow into a row all the while mulching leaves with my Dixie then 2) Bag the remains with my 36" Lesco which would result in about 5 bagfulls. Not too much for my little 1500 series truck but enough to make it look like I did some work to the homeowner.

thelawnguy
08-06-2001, 10:53 PM
"Where in this country would somebody pay $500.00?'

Nobody said anything about paying; thats just what he'd charge.

If that were my customers lawn, Id charge a regular cutting since thats all it would take to mulch em up.

If it was a new contact Id charge em $75 then give it a once over and be gone in 20 minutes, leave the bill in the door.

HOMER
08-06-2001, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was too good to be true:cry:

little green guy
08-06-2001, 11:08 PM
$160.00

lawrence stone
08-06-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru

I would give them a quote of $50 mulched for a one-time shot, and $100 for a bagged cut with the clippings removed.

We have a Winner here!!!

You have one half man hour labor for a triple cut

And another 1/2 hour to put a grass gobbler on and make another 2 passes and maybe fill 4 jumbo bags or about 15 cu ft of leaf dust.

This attachment is after a triple cut. As you can see the amount of waste is minimal. After a good rain all these leaf bits will not be as noticable.

When you double cut that area again in 10 days it will look as good as bagged.

Chuck Sinclair
08-06-2001, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
"Where in this country would somebody pay $500.00?'

Nobody said anything about paying; thats just what he'd charge.

If that were my customers lawn, Id charge a regular cutting since thats all it would take to mulch em up.

If it was a new contact Id charge em $75 then give it a once over and be gone in 20 minutes, leave the bill in the door.

I agree with thelawnguy $75.00 and gone in 20 minutes. :blob1:

OBRYANMAINT
08-06-2001, 11:54 PM
i est about an hour as well 100.00 and i take the leaves

guntruck
08-07-2001, 12:19 AM
Not bad Stone, our price would have been in the neighborhood of 130-140 mulched and 200 for removal. I try to get decent loot for leaf removal because of the pain in the arse that it creates!!

Lawn-Scapes
08-07-2001, 12:21 AM
When you double cut that area again in 10 days it will look as good as bagged.

You said it was to be a "one time clean up"

Lookin' at that second picture... I would not be satisfied with that job nor would I expect the customer to be.

$120 to do the job right ;)

crazygator
08-07-2001, 12:25 AM
$100 - 125 range and take anything still left home in bags!

Scotty
08-07-2001, 12:53 AM
I base all our clean ups on man hours, and I tell my customers it will be $45.00 per man hour or whatever your rate would be. This way its fair for both parties and you can do whatever it takes to do the job right. You may be taking a chance by giving a set price, what if it starts to snow or rain and it takes longer than what you thought, better yet, you have to leave the job because of weather conditions only to find out upon return that the area you already cleaned is covered with leaves again.

Charge by the man hour for clean ups and give the customer an idea of how many man hours the job will take.

roscioli
08-07-2001, 01:15 AM
Where I live I get leaves like that at least weekly during the fall. For a one time clean up, I would charge $75, if it were a regular customer, blow first, then charge a mowing and a half every week, and double cut the whole area, bagging. Leaves here suck, they aren't mulchable, no way, not possible.

lawnboy11
08-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Mr. Stone,
Not to criticize your work at all, and I know it's completely different there than it is here in suburbia, but leaving those leaf shreddings would not be tolerated by the customers here. I'm with you and your method and I wish I could do that here, but we're generally talking 1/4-1/2 acre and less, manicured landscapes in this neck of the woods. I would have to bag it, but would probably just blow the leaves onto a tarp and drag to it to the street and then mow it as usual and charge maybe 65$. Wouldn't take more than 45 minutes, probably 30 (10 blow leaves, 20 mow at most) I love curbside leave removal by the villages here though. We local landscapers get together and throw a party for the village leaf removal guys in the fall as an extra thanks. Another reason for high taxes here though too.

BRL
08-07-2001, 04:22 PM
Around here customers would get a quote of $100.00 - $300.00, and all of those contractors would be hauling them away with one method or another. I would cut twice (double blades - one regular under a gator, the regular helps get a good vacuum of the leaves up into the deck while they both chop em up good) Then a third time with the gobbler on, which with that small amount of leaves would be barely filled once. I might even get away with one mulch run & one with the gobbler instead of the 3 mowings. That smaller amount of leaves usually looks like Stone's second picture after 2 cuts with my mower. Probably take me a hair over an hour all told. I'd charge $150.00 because leaf dust sucks, I have to pull out the gobbler, and its it worth it for the customer to save their 4 or so hours of raking. If its an ongoing maintenace contract I don't do the gobbler until the last trip of the season, unless the leaves are heavier than that (which is many times the case). One other secret to making it look better- spend an extra 3-5 minutes with the back pack blower to get the leaves away from the trees, the mowers work more efficiently on the long runs instead of blowing them against the tree and back onto the lines you've already done. Try it, it made a big difference in quality.

MGunns
08-07-2001, 05:09 PM
Mr. Stone,

As a homeowner, I would be very unhappy with these results at any price. However, based on your numerous posts that I've learned from, you know what will fulfill your customers expectations.

Respectfully,

Scraper
08-07-2001, 05:22 PM
In defense of Stone...in three weeks you would never know any leaves were there and at a fraction of the cost of what you want. Of course I could come in a charge you $150 or so for a few weeks to take them all away or I could double cut for $75 and add the compost your lawn needs. I care for many $1M+ homes and have been doing it this way for a couple years with no complaints. Sure it looks a little rough right after it is done, but in a couple weeks you'd know no difference. Not to mention you are freeing up landfill space for real garbage.

MOW ED
08-07-2001, 07:03 PM
Pardon my French Sir Lawrence but that job looks like CRAP!

I would never leave (no pun intended) a job looking like that and if I did I would be called by the customer as soon as my lazy a$$ got home.
You may be the master of your domain when it comes to using economically purchased equipment to perform "LAWN CUTTING" but you cannot do an aesthetically better job than I or any of my bagging counterparts with a second rate mulch job. My customers will not wait forten days to make it look "as bagged". I do not want to run over leafs 3 to 6 times at any time.

We can continue this pi$$in match after the trees start to shed. I will be glad to show you what my Walker does to them. If you want pictures I'll give them , if you want stats I'll give them too but one thing you won't get is a job that looks like someone walked thru a leafpile with a craftsman weedeater.

Have a nice day;)

lawrence stone
08-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED

I would never leave (no pun intended) a job looking like that and if I did I would be called by the customer as soon as my lazy a$$ got home.

Frankly ED I specialize in sports field work. I don't even solicit residential work.

I like to start threads here for it gives me an idea of which the real lco's are.

In two more mowings on 15 to 25 days there will be no leaf matter that is visible.

In the spring I do the same thing with a tine rake I just cut it and let it lay.

There is no way I can take home any debris. The bed of my pickup is full of fertilizer/compost spreaders, sprayers, seed, pesticides, Penn mulch etc.

CSRA Landscaping
08-07-2001, 08:29 PM
I don't know about where you guys are but here when the leaves begin to fall, they don't stop until spring. I've left a job after leaf removal and in 30 min. it was covered up once more! There's scarcely a sould around here that would pay $120+ for leaf removal ... I seriously doubt that most, for a lot that size, would pay $80+.

One time visit, I would probably charge around $70, removal included.

Unless I was coming back next week and in that case, it'd be $45 to leave the clippings and $55 per week to remove the clippings.

powerreel
08-07-2001, 09:56 PM
Like we've talked about before we all live in unique climates. In my climate if you chopped all those leaves with a lawnmower they would NOT go away until next spring, and with no snowcover you would look @ it and moss would grow. Here in the rainy Northwest you need to pick all that stuff up and it's WET! It takes time....I figured on 3 guys 2/3 day plus breaks and bonus. Also, I service MICROSOFT people who have dough. Lastly, too bad if you live in some depressed area where you can't get top dollar! Plus Seattle is one of THE most expensive places to live, cost of living is HIGH! I would love it we could buy shacks for under $200k. Everything is realitive with how you bill. This was a great post.:)

MIDSOUTH
08-07-2001, 11:34 PM
That is not a job a real lco would do, I have to much respect for my company name than to leave a site like that. It is very possible they will not call you back. It would be wise to keep your toro's in sports field and off of manicured lawns. Your right Stone, we know who the real LCO's are.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-08-2001, 12:02 AM
Let me make this quick and easy

15 min
2- guys
1- lazer with Peco vac
1-blower

$75.00 minimum

But would charge them for 1/2 man hours (at $75.00 mhr)

That leaves (get it leaves) us with a bill for $100.00 hauled
($75 + $25 curb vac)

Get it gone in 15 min.

LGF:blob1:

Micky
08-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Are leaves falling like that NOW?????

When were those pics taken?

thelawnguy
08-08-2001, 07:51 AM
If leaves are still falling, that would be acceptable, as the ground would be covered 10 min after you finish. If its the last one of the season a quick run-around with a blower to scatter the clumps would leave that lawn looking as good as one done with 3 monkeys bagging and hauling.

geogunn
08-08-2001, 08:37 AM
all of you are right. sort of.

whether the final look is acceptable depends on your agreement with the property owner!

I do it both ways, mulch and blow/haul away. and I have a bunch of customers that couldn't give a crap less what the place looks like...grass or leaves.

HOWEVER, I have trouble with the idea that I could run a two man crew and an expensive machine, worth about $8000 to replace, and do the job for seventy five bucks.

and there aint no way I could drive there, unload, do the job, and load up in 15 minutes. if anybody else can the're real good!

GEO

lawrence stone
08-08-2001, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
If leaves are still falling, that would be acceptable, as the ground would be covered 10 min after you finish.

Those pics were taken on 10/20/00. Right after the big leaf drop. Those with the power of perception will see there are still some leaves on the trees.

To the right of the pics is some Hemlock trees (BTW some of you guys should join the Hemlock society). In a day or two there will be 25-35mph winds coming from that direction and a new crop of leaves will be in place to be mulched in the next site visit.

Next pic is from 10/24/00. Pic is taken looking towards the North.
The next good wind will move some the leaves on the home on the left onto the site I maintain.

So I guess in the eyes of some of the anal-retentive clients and the LCO's that love (are) them I should not receive compensation for the service that was just performed.

Randy Scott
08-08-2001, 10:20 AM
Isn't there just something about a picture like this that makes you wish it was fall. The cool air in the mornings taking your breath away. The chill in the air. The leaves crunching under your feet. Awesome time of year. A little off topic but it would be useless to give a price for this because there is a million variables and we all have different goals to meet so who cares what I would charge. You can see we've had a dozen various numbers, there is no RIGHT answer, they're all right if that's what you need to make!

MOW ED
08-08-2001, 11:00 AM
Frankly ED I specialize in sports field work. I don't even solicit residential work.

So what sport do we play here?

CSRA Landscaping
08-08-2001, 11:04 AM
Geo, you didn't say what you'd do it for, since $75 is out of the equation.

Finecut
08-08-2001, 12:18 PM
CSRA,

How long will it take Geo to get to the property? Is it a customer who wants removal or is mulching fine? Does he need to load them in his dump truck? Will he use a grass gobbler? Will he use a Waker that picks up the leaves? Will he just blow them in a pile and move them on a tarp? How many flower beds? Does he have to clean out the water garden? How much driveway needs to be blown clean? Would you get fired or called to task for leaving a job looking like that? There are x amount of square feet of chopped up leaves, but what other services do you need to provide? How can all these hypothetical numbers mean anything to anyone? We all have different methods, we all have different overhead, we all pay help differently....on and on!

What may work for Stone may not work for others, someone said, "there is no right answer", and i believe that's correct.

CSRA Landscaping
08-08-2001, 12:23 PM
Finecut, don't be so touchy. I understand all of that. I was simply asking what he would charge for that job and I think it's pretty much left up to us to choose our methods, from what Stone asked.

Finecut
08-08-2001, 12:28 PM
I'm not touchy at all! I'm just saying that no one else may get away with leaving a property looking like that. When you add in all the variables (I noted some) how can you come up with an incorrect answer. No offense meant...to anyone!

HOWARD JONES
08-08-2001, 03:04 PM
Lawrence, if there is any wind in the next 10 days, that place will be covered with leaves again - I think every job should be judged by "now", not what it will look like after another cutting - but the real judge is the customer; did they like the job? You may get to do this 2 or 3 more times until all the leaves (including the neighbors) are gone.

geogunn
08-08-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by CSRA Landscaping
Geo, you didn't say what you'd do it for, since $75 is out of the equation.

csra--you are correct that I did not give a quote. my first point was that it all depends on what the customer wants.

from the amount of leaves I see in the first pic (actually it's only a smidgen of leaves) and for the results I see in the second pic (which I personally would not accept on any property I own if I were paying for it),... I'd gladly do that for $75 and run.

and I could do that with less than $2000 invested including my trailer.

my second point is that I don't think I could do the property for $75 if I were using a $8000 plus mower and vac.

I know that with the lazer you are supposed to have greater production and make a bunch of $75 leaf jobs go real quick but those numbers still don't work for me. too much investment for a small return profit.

GEO

geogunn
08-08-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

To the right of the pics is some Hemlock trees (BTW some of you guys should join the Hemlock society).

good one stone. it was worth waiting for the LARRYISM!

GEO

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2001, 05:19 PM
Lawrence Stone in his last post said:
Those with the power of perception will see there are still some leaves on the trees.

and...

In a day or two there will be 25-35mph winds coming from that direction and a new crop of leaves will be in place to be mulched in the next site visit.

...and we should have perceived this too..right?

Next pic is from 10/24/00. Pic is taken looking towards the North.
The next good wind will move some the leaves on the home on the left onto the site I maintain.

and this too..I suppose?

Mr. Stone said earlier in the thread:
Yes one time clean up/mulch.

Based on this information, there was no need for the "powers of perception".

A one time clean up is...well, you know... A ONE TIME CLEAN UP!

Mr. Stone also said:
BTW some of you guys should join the Hemlock society

I think you have some issues that need attention if you feel this way...

Later...

Finecut
08-08-2001, 05:26 PM
TSG,

LMAO...there is BS and there is SS! They don't have any trouble sorting the SS from the pepper at the spice factory!

AltaLawnCare
08-08-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by geogunn

good one stone. it was worth waiting for the LARRYISM!

GEO

ROFLOL
Or
We've been stoned - lawrence stoned that is....:blob2:

65hoss
08-08-2001, 09:47 PM
Easy job.

Blow leaves out into open. 5 to 10 min.
Run Lazer HP w/ ultravac over 25 to 35 min.

$70 by myself
$100 with helper.

powerreel
08-08-2001, 10:07 PM
And people go under because they can't make overhead!;)

Runner
08-08-2001, 10:29 PM
That would have been my method, Hoss, basically. I would have blown the underneath of the other trees out for good margin and appearance though. 75 bucks if I could do it right then. And that would be CLEAN! No hauling. Also, am I missing something on this "Hemlock" thing? I didn't get it. Could someone please explain?:blob3:

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2001, 10:40 PM
It's a poison...

Look here:

http://www.hemlock.org/default.asp

geogunn
08-09-2001, 01:17 AM
I have been waiting for someone else to comment on the thin covering of leaves.

the leaves are so thin you can see grass through them!

I'd be willing to bet that I could get the same results as shown in pic 2 with my ole LESCO and no mulcher plate installed.

run over them with the high lifts only and if they are anywhere near dry, they are crumbs in a couple to maybe three or four passes.

been there and done this a bunch.

to me a leaf removal is done in late december and they are about six or more inches deep.

GEO

Micky
08-09-2001, 01:40 AM
Lawrence Stone,
Did you use doubles for that result??
Was going to try them this fall but if that's the best they can do doesn't seem worth it.

CSRA Landscaping
08-09-2001, 09:10 AM
The thin covering is shy I said only about $75. If they were six inches deep, it would be closer to $150. Lotsa fun. :blob4:

awm
08-10-2001, 03:41 PM
gosh i got thatn right, but Is scared to say anything.:angel:

captdevo
08-10-2001, 04:00 PM
$80 and i'd Walker right in and leave not a leaf!!

Customer would be sooo impressed, he would call back.

There is no way I could leave a site looking like that.

jeffyr
08-10-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

I like to start threads here for it gives me an idea of which the real lco's are.

I don't even know how to reply to this whole thread but to say.....I don't even know. The first picture was a moderate covering at best--as someone else pointed out the grass is still visible. I guess I thought from all the looking down the nose attitude given to everyone that the second pic of the "clean" site would have an etherial quality that I could never achieve here on earth.
On a windy day with a 3 broken blades and a large hole in my grass gobbler I would not leave that property until it looked better.

As for the test, although amusing, I think you would reply "don't waste my time" if someone else posted that type of copout.

As for what I would do. Get my 6200 on my back and 9horse Little Wonder HO push blower and blow them to the curb in 20-30 min. and leave them in a pile for the town to pick up......because I have that option everywhere I work. 1 pass with 2 blowers and 1 man. If it is windy I would nail the bulk if it with the blower and then mow it to CLEAN it up and it would take 45 min-1 hour I would also ask $80, given they were not wet and rotting and there was no unforeseen time wasters that I can't see in the photos.

Oh yeah, if you need a bigger truck because yours is full of supplies you should get one. or maybe a bigger trailer could be fashioned from the old bed of a salvaged El Camino. But what's with the excuses? My customers would not understand if I said"Uhhh, My truck is full so you have to live with it".

cos
08-11-2001, 12:18 AM
I think that a final cutting is always needed when doing leaf clean-ups. It makes the overall clean-up look good and that alot of progress has been made.

geogunn
08-11-2001, 12:40 AM
this has been a fun post.

we owe LAWRENCE our thanks for giving us something to focus on.

so how 'bout it lawrence?

can we coax some more discussions complete with discrete LARRYISIMS out of you?

GEO

cantoo
08-12-2001, 12:38 AM
Here is what the property looks like when we leave. I don't think we would get much repeat business if it was any less. By the way this is the third time we had done this lawn that year. The leaves just seemed to keep raining down all month. For leaves that thick it usually takes two passes with the Walker, the first one is high and fast the last one is lower and slower.
This year we will be trying the first pass with the MTD Pro Z and hopefully it will speed up the process. I am also mounting my 8hp Peco to the front of the MTD to blow directly into a tow behind trailer.

cantoo
08-12-2001, 12:39 AM
Finished lawn

Eric ELM
08-12-2001, 12:49 AM
I just mulch leaves. I go over them twice, the first picture is taken as I go over them the first time. The second picture is after the second time.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/001011-010.jpg

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/001011-013.jpg

bubble boy
08-12-2001, 01:42 AM
thats pretty damn good.

i assume that is with doubles, cause you swear by them. i was wondering if single blades could come close to that job. i know thats hard to answer. looking at the coverage in the first pic, i dont think i could mulch those with single blades with the same results, but i can't really say from a picture. do you have pics comparing two areas one cut with singles one cut with doubles?

ive never tried doubles, was wondering if its worth the extra wear on the engine. i know its been said here before that people have used doubles with no engine trouble, but what do manufacturers say on the issue? all the dealers ive asked have said they wouldn't recommend it.

skipwatson
08-12-2001, 01:44 AM
Eric, do you do the lawn across the street, too. Looks like your stripes. ;)

Eric ELM
08-12-2001, 02:01 AM
Bubble Boy, It has been at least 10 years since I used single blades and that was for a short time and back to doubles.

No, I do not have a picture to compare doubles to singles.

Skip, I do the one to the left, from 20 feet to the right of that driveway to the lake on the left that you can not see in that picture. That lawn is this one below.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/010808-008.jpg

skipwatson
08-12-2001, 02:05 AM
Ahh yes! The picture-perfect lawn. :) Unbelievable

awm
08-13-2001, 04:47 PM
just a word on mulching. with the right mower an gators
i can make it look much better than that second picture of the finished job
and it probably would cost about 60 -70 bucks.

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Would Blow/Tarp/Suck and Dispose the area pictured.

Grinding would be Futile.

dishboy
02-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Would blow out beds and around trees, triple mulch and then bag. Would end up hauling only about two barrels from job.

Time estimate 15-20 minutes to blow out beds and disperse for mulching.
30 minutes mulching 36 inch walk[ it's what I use as I target small residentials]. Estimate 10,000 sq. ft. about 10 minutes each pass X 3= 30 minutes. 12 minutes to bag and haul two barrels. Site would be spotless for anal client. Price Time X hourly rate.

lawnguyland
02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
So good to see you guys responding to 4 year old posts from oldschool lawnsite, back when it was a little cooler. :cool2:

ECHOFACE6786
02-19-2005, 01:39 AM
at least 200.00. if you have 2 people working for you plus yourself. you gotta make it worth your time. fall clean ups people pay for what it takes to get it done.