PDA

View Full Version : compost / mulch ?

cutbetterthanyou
04-27-2007, 09:14 PM
This may seem to be a dumb question but here it goes, do any of you use compost over top of old mulch? I have never seen this until yesterday. Everyone around here just uses hardwood mulch. I have seen compost mixed with the soil but never put on top of the old mulch and left as the finshed product. I was just wonder why this was done and what are the benifts and/or disadvatages of this? And if it was left as the finshed product shouldn't the old mulh have been taken out? BTW when I say compost i am no talking about straight leaves or grass clipping i am talking about the fine shreded black stuff.

PatriotLandscape
04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
we use it alot compost is great for the soil. it is not for the finicky client but if you have plants that are struggling adding the compost makes the soil 100% better.

cutbetterthanyou
04-28-2007, 12:16 AM
we use it alot compost is great for the soil. it is not for the finicky client but if you have plants that are struggling adding the compost makes the soil 100% better.

even right on top of the old mulch?

Dreams To Designs
04-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Compost can be used as a mulch, it will smother the weeds from coming up through it, but they can grow on/in it. It will feed the soil in many different ways that are extremely beneficial, but most clients do not like the look or the sometimes weeds. It will assist in breaking down the mulch that is under it and add to the soil as well, but not a practice I would recommend. Better off mixed in the soil with a couple of inches of a composted natural wood mulch on top for weed and moisture control and a more pleasing look.

Kirk