PDA

View Full Version : not sure where to post this....?

Gaturf
04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
I just got a new customer for 10 day maint. service. the only problem is that she just had her yard sanded last week. i use a walker that sucks up everything.....how long should i wait before i can cut it and is it going to mess up my mower? not sure if this is the right section so i may post this in a few other places.

thanks

ga turf

tjsquickcuts
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I say wait until you see a lot of new growth and after a good rain to help lock in the sand. If not, that sand is going to wear out your blades. Sand is used to make glass, so just imagine what it will be doing to your blades and deck. Why sand? Did they have drainage problems? I tried to sand all my lawns that needed it during the winter, so now its part of the grade and haven't had many problems besides trimming near it and the whip around affect. How business?? How are you doing keeping up with all the growth around the west metro area???

Gaturf
04-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Im staying busy...Im working between chapel hill and west cobb. west cobb is booming! I just picked up three new accounts in two different 500k nieborhoods. what part of town are you in?

ga turf

Nathan Robinson
04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
There is a button that turns your blower/vaccum off on the walker. turn it off. or use a mulching deck...

Gaturf
04-27-2007, 11:28 PM
There is a button that turns your blower/vaccum off on the walker. turn it off. or use a mulching deck...

wheres the button?

Nathan Robinson
04-27-2007, 11:36 PM
It should be on the blower. It may be after market. If so I think it was like $35.00 or so to have out on. I thought the new ones came with it though. Do you not have a mulcher? A little sand wont hurt your walker. We had a guy by the allias (firecrotch-glow worm) "hes a red head" suck up small trees and boulders last year with one of the walkers.

tjsquickcuts
04-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Im staying busy...Im working between chapel hill and west cobb. west cobb is booming! I just picked up three new accounts in two different 500k nieborhoods. what part of town are you in?

ga turf

Yeah, west cobb is booming....I really only work in a few neighborhoods, got in them early, and just spread through from word of mouth. But I work all up and down the east west conn, camp creek, cascade, and mirror lake. I just picked up 6 people today in this new neighborhood near the airport. Decided to go play knock, knock, and ended up picking up 6 new accounts, out of maybe 30 Homes already sold, and most people weren't home, and play like they weren't home. I have been doing well on maintenance, but for some reason I have been having a hard time with getting installs due to all the low balling from some of these guys around here and their work is super crappy. I charge my prices because I do it correctly, edging, landscape fabric, and top soil for my flower beds. But any how, I am sure middle of the summer, the rush will hit. Ooooh, before I forget, picked up another million dollar home today, but crazy thing is, its a guy I grew up with and played little league football with. His wife set everything up, he just so happen to have read my news letter, and put two and two together. Well good luck

Gaturf
04-28-2007, 09:07 AM
i think ill just wait a few more weeks and then use my walk behind for the first few weeks of cutting.

tjsquickcuts.........so your not working to far from me. Im toying with the idea of working in the tucker area and in the area around emory. Im a dekalb county firefighter so im already in the area every third day. i would just have to tow my equip into work and with the gas prices nearing $3 a gallon im not sure if that good for me right now.

ga turf

tjsquickcuts
04-28-2007, 09:37 AM
i think ill just wait a few more weeks and then use my walk behind for the first few weeks of cutting.

tjsquickcuts.........so your not working to far from me. Im toying with the idea of working in the tucker area and in the area around emory. Im a dekalb county firefighter so im already in the area every third day. i would just have to tow my equip into work and with the gas prices nearing $3 a gallon im not sure if that good for me right now.

ga turf

I have decided to cut off all my accounts that are stand alone, or either too far. No more going all over the world. I probably let go about $12k in accounts, but I have have gained it back plus more. I am trying to only market in areas that the homes are 500k are more. This has been good and bad, because a lot of people with money, don't want to pay scale, and are always looking for discounts. But I have been able to sign up a lot of these accounts, and most are on the same street, or near each other. Tucker is a great area, especially around emory. People over in that area don't mind spending to keep up with the Joneses...