PDA

View Full Version : Bee Stings

J. Davis
08-06-2001, 07:48 PM
Mowing a yard this week and went into the edge of the woods to dump the grass clip. bag and was attacked by yellow jackets. During this first trip I dropped the bag and had to return to the same area and was stung again. In all I was stung 14 times. These bees were very aggressive and chased me more than 75 yards to my truck....Has anybody had this problem this summer...(Second trip I sprayed before entering the area and still got stung....:blob2:

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 07:53 PM
Thankfully No.

However I have been stung to where I had to drop my britches in order to escape those that flew up thar. :angry: These mud-wasps are not friendly buggers are they, and unlike most that lose the stinger these guys have finely sharpened tools and penetrating instruments. :blob2:

Kris

J. Davis
08-06-2001, 08:42 PM
These were in a hole about 6 feet from the path...I've step on nest and hit nest but these had a differet way.....Later I poured gas into the nest....at night. This winter I will dig the nest up for observation and some fun....:angel:

Grapevine
08-06-2001, 08:49 PM
I think I've been stung more this year than any other. 90 % of the time it's when we're pruning and come across a hive that I didn't see. Alot of times when pruning (like privet or boxwood ) the bees are flying all around me but there just the drones and don't have stingers, but once in a while you hit a nest and I run like Hell. I've been stung in the head and twice on the nose, (that hurt like a bastard) Does anyone know what the black and White bees are called, they are very aggressive and hurt like Hell.

mdb landscaping
08-06-2001, 08:54 PM
i was mowing the other day and my lazers tire hit a bush. well lets say i messed up my striping pattern when i gunned it away from the bush. luckily i wasnt stung, but it seems like a bad year for bees. i had to kill three nests at my house alone this year.

thelawnguy
08-06-2001, 09:47 PM
For some reason wasps hornets bees and such do not sting me.

Monday, I was trimming hedges and severed a wasp nest. Backpedaled away quite quickly but with no arm waving. Grabbed the rake and flicked the hive off to the side so I could finish the job.

Tuesday a similar deal, though I didnt hit the hive it was quite visible. Put the trimmer away, grabbed the mower and started the lawn. After 10 minutes they calmed down so I started trimming again, this time from the other direction so I finished up at the hive. Once again, finished mowing so the buggers would calm down so I could rake with no hassles.

You want to get stung wear bright clothing and wave your arms like a lunatic. Want them to let you be, dress in grays and act like they arent there :alien:

wallzwallz
08-06-2001, 09:54 PM
i think your referring to the white faced wasp,not sure if that's correct name,but that's what we call them here, was pruning a forsythia bush stuck hedge trimmers right in nest about a 16 inch diameter,entire chest covered with them before i evan saw them,took about 40-50 stings, chest swelled up,turned rock hard thought i was going to die:angry: so now i check them bushes real good before i prune.

Mike Wall

danlawnser
08-06-2001, 09:54 PM
I got stung a couple of weeks ago and sure enough I had to do the same thing that kris did. I was on a Toro walkbehind and I went back to the truck which was about 70 yards away and they were all in my pants. I haven't dropped my pants that fast in a long time. The guy I was working with just started laughing so hard because I looked so dumb jumping around in the street. The nice thing was that no one besides the guy I was working with saw me. The one on the rear realllllyyyyyy hurt.

lee b
08-06-2001, 10:16 PM
Grapevine, down south we call the black and white bees that nest in the ground - bumblebees. I'd rather be stung by wasps or hornets, than a bumblebee. The last time one got me, I was moving some old junk. Saw the bees and took off running, after a couple 100 yards I turned around to see if any were still chasing me, bam, got me right below the eye. Bumblebees are vicious little rascals and hurt way worse than any other bug I've been stung by. Better luck next time........

Premo Services
08-06-2001, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Michael Wall
i think your referring to the white faced wasp,not sure if that's correct name,but that's what we call them here, was pruning a forsythia bush stuck hedge trimmers right in nest about a 16 inch diameter,entire chest covered with them before i evan saw them,took about 40-50 stings, chest swelled up,turned rock hard thought i was going to die:angry: so now i check them bushes real good before i prune.

Mike Wall
O-u-c-h !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad: Brings back some chilling memories of last year while trimming overgrown bushes, and cut right into a bald faced hornets nest. The er at hospital said I was stung about 50-60 times all over my body. AND YES I ALSO CHECK THEM OUT REAL GOOD NOW BEFORE I START TRIMMING.:D

crazygator
08-06-2001, 11:18 PM
Ouch, I hate it when that happens. It's one thing to be stung by unseen bees/wasps etc, but to actually see them and still get stung? It's kind of like a bad dream when everything is moving so fast, and your in slow motion. I really hate it when that happens too! :angry:

Mike (MLC)
08-06-2001, 11:19 PM
Luckily I have not encountered any stinging insects this year. I don't know what I would do if I did get stung. I am highly allergic to them. I always end up going to the hospital because I just keep swelling up. I do carry benadryl, but if I take just one of them I pass smooth out within about 10 minutes. It gives me a few minutes to get home before fall asleep. :rolleyes:

Mowin4cash
08-07-2001, 12:32 AM
:blob2: I've had my A$$ ate up so much this summer with yellow jackets that I'm declaring all out war on them. Any idea on where to get those "sting proof" suits. Thought I would take weekends and piss off every nest I could find. Sit a chair by the nest, take a flame thrower to the little boogers when they come out. Or poor some Coors Lite down the wholes in the ground, that would be sure to kill them.

Grapevine
08-07-2001, 05:54 AM
Mike, my son is highly allergic to peanuts and we carry an EPI Pen wherever we go. It's epenephrine and it stops the swelling and keeps his airway open for about a 1/2 hour until we can get to a hospital. He's 8 and have only used it twice, but it definitely saved his life. It's a shot you jam into your leg. (it kind of hurts) Talk to your Doctor and see what he says

dhicks
08-07-2001, 07:18 AM
Last week, a customer asked me to go string trim around an old tree stump. The area was covered with thatch and weeds. As I started to trim, I felt like the back of my leg were catching on fire. Then the other leg. Next thing I know the Y. Jackets were on me. Next thing I remember was that I threw a $260.00 string trimmer into the ajoining property and I was running.

They stung me on my fingers, back of my legs and arms. I thank God I had my hat, faceshield and W.E. Chapps on. My fingers looked like sausages and the back of my calve muscles were grossly enlarged.

I'm going to keep an Epi Pen in my truck from now on just in case.

ron
08-07-2001, 08:10 AM
WOW
My list of A?? Holes*** IRS, Dead Beat Clients,Bee Stings***

These little buggers can put me out for good.
I am allergic to bee stings and must carry a bee kit with me at all times.Knock on wood this year no problems with these buggers.
but last season spent two days in the hospital.

awm
08-07-2001, 09:44 AM
sounds like you fellas need to carry a bottle of clorox.
its the best thing ive found to neutralize the sting.
course make sure you dont get it on your desiner jeans or nothin.
later nowTM

strickdad
08-07-2001, 12:44 PM
my wife got popped twice this year and of all places (our own yard) two different nest, yellow jackets in the ground ....

Cutter1
08-07-2001, 01:46 PM
White Faced Hornets are what they are called I believe. YOur right they are mean!!! One of my employees got tagged on the laser by about 10. He was stripping back and forth, next thing I know, he is going across all the stripes full speed swatting at the air!! Haven't been stung yet this year, still waiting to get hit by some ground bees.

65hoss
08-07-2001, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the first thing you should do in learn to remain calm. I did some research this spring on all types of wasp and bees. I found out what there good was. I also learned what makes them attack and there aggressiveness. Since doing this I have not been stung 1 time this year and best of all my eyes have been opened up to a whole new part of our ecology. These things your declaring war on are a very beneficial insect. I have gone out of my way to let them live this year. There are times to get rid of them if you or your family are in danger but other times they should be left alone.

Mike (MLC)
08-07-2001, 02:16 PM
Grapevine, I have heard of the EPI pen's before, but I have never looked into getting one for myself. I think it is a good idea. I have had some close encounter's before and have nothing to help me in the mean time. I am going to check into the epinephrine shot soon. Maybe it will take some of the worry out of my job.

scottb
08-07-2001, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the stings I got stung 4 times while mowing my own yard 3 weeks ago. man wasp are some mean rascals. Doing some bush hogging for a guy one time near a creek bank hit a bumble bee nest and got stung 5 times on the head 3 times around my righr eye. Needless to say I drove home with one eye that day.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-07-2001, 02:34 PM
BEES SUCK !!!!

I have encounterd them alot this year too.. I have also noticed alot, I mean Alot of rabbits toooooo ?? I had three nests at my house.. not any more..

I was doing some edging along a walkway with the string trimmer and got near a stump .. The next thing I knew is they were all over me .. I dont ' know how But I managed to escape with only one sting in the thumb.. That hurt more than ripping into my leg with hedge trimmers.. Damn.. !! I think It probably had to do with the rapid swinging and eventual tossing of my string trimmer.. I think I scared them away.. : )

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
08-07-2001, 04:01 PM
Would you be kind enough to share with us why they are good, when we should kill them, and when not to?

65hoss
08-07-2001, 05:04 PM
Sure, bees pollinate. They are natures way of producing the much needed foods. Wasp are a natural predator on insects. Watch them, they are flying around the top of grass looking for insects, not you. They are actually a benefical insect, they seek out and kill the harmful insects that hurt crop producing plants and turf grasses. They are a very important part of the ecological system. They are looking for food, not looking to get after you. They only attack when they feel threatened. The only time you should eliminate them is when they are close to your house and you or your children are allergic to them.

By the way, bumblebees are very docile. In the spring I was at my cousins farm house, he had hundreds all over. We walked amoung them all weekend and never had one problem. They would fly close to us to check us out, but then they would fly on. We never did anything to scare them.

We call ourselves the "green industry", but we usually do more against nature than we do good. Most of the time its not on purpose, but a lack of knowledge. Its easier to kill it than find why its there in the first place.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
08-07-2001, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all your help my friend. I still hate bees though! :D But, nevertheless, I think I can give them their space.

Albemarle Lawn
08-07-2001, 05:16 PM
I Don't know why they are called bees. Yellow jackets are not bees, they are WASPS!

What does that mean? It means a single "bee" can sting you over and over.

An actual bee can only sting you once. The bee stinger breaks off in your flesh, and the bee flys off to die. The stinger stays in you, and there is a gaping hole left in the bee.

Check out this link on Yellow Jacket WASPS:

http://school.discovery.com/homeworkhelp/worldbook/atozscience/y/613360.html

Ken

bahiya
08-07-2001, 08:16 PM
So you drop your pants when the bees get up in their. What if you do like me and go commando (I just was so tired that I forgot those pesky boxers)?

Grapevine
08-07-2001, 08:17 PM
We are big on Cranberry bogs in this area (near Plymouth,Ma) and the bog owners rely heavily on bees to pollinate the fruit. Sometimes I forget that when I'm running through a customers yard with a nest of Yellow jackets chasing me.

Craig Turf Management
08-07-2001, 08:53 PM
I was just stung/bitten today by a yellow jacket. It came from the base of a cherry tree. After I did my little dance on the lawn, I walked back to the truck for a can of wasp and hornet spray. I saturated the nest, and got some of the buggers on the fly. This makes number four for the year. I had over twenty bites last year.

If you do the kind of work that we do, and are susceptible to bee and wasp stings, it really is a good idea to keep an epi-kit in your first aid kit. Even if you aren't "allergic" to bee stings, you can have a reaction to the sting.

Take care, Bill Craig

wallzwallz
08-07-2001, 08:54 PM
Grapevine where you located? I'm in Bourne good to see somebody local.I have a route going thru plymouth but spend a lot of time in Woods Hole:cool: maybe I'll see you out there in Plymouth