PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum bottles?

Vikings
04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I bought a vacuum bottle to make changing oil in a bluebird Power rake a little less messy but I pumped forever and only got a cup out. So I had to take the front plug out and lean it forward, trying to get as much in a oil pan as possible...

1. Is there a good way to change oil in a Bluebird Power Rake? (it's fricken ******ed the way it is as I understand)

2. Could my problem have been the oil not hot enough? Are hand vacuum bottles just a gimmick?

Restrorob
04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
2. Could my problem have been the oil not hot enough? Are hand vacuum bottles just a gimmick?

The answer to both is, Highly possible.

I have a air operated bottle I have been using around 8 yrs. and works fine.

What size pipe thread is your drain plug ?

Vikings
04-29-2007, 01:07 AM
What size pipe thread is your drain plug ?
I don't understand that question.

What I did was remove the plastic tab, the one you take off to see the oil level (Bluebird power rake, no dip stick) and stick the tube in, and pump like crazy... The more I think about it, the more I think it could have been cold oil. I did it in the mourning, I only let it run a couple minutes and then I got distracted with phone calls.

Restrorob
04-29-2007, 09:03 AM
What is the model engine on this unit ?

Does it not have a oil drain plug ?

What size/thread pitch is this drain plug ?

Vikings
04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
5HP Briggs Intek OHV, it does have an oil plug but it comes out of the engine directly on top of the deck. You can't help pouring oil all over your deck even if you lean the machine way forward. That's why I thought the vacuum would be a godsend.

Restrorob
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
That engine has a standard pipe thread oil drain plug, Can you not add a pipe nipple with a pipe plug to direct it past the deck ?

Even a 2" nipple and using a piece of cardboard bent in a V shape would direct it off the deck.

Just thoughts on making your oil changes easier/less messy.....

Vikings
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
That engine has a standard pipe thread oil drain plug, Can you not add a pipe nipple with a pipe plug to direct it past the deck ?

Even a 2" nipple and using a piece of cardboard bent in a V shape would direct it off the deck.

Just thoughts on making your oil changes easier/less messy.....
That's brilliant. I never even knew there was such a thing as a pipe nipple, it would make sense. Would it just push in there or would it screw in? I guess it would screw in because you were asking me about threads.

I gotta pick up a mower from my dealer this week, I'm going to talk to him about that. Hell, I'll buy my own pipe and thread it if I have to.:laugh: It makes so much sense, Kinda like what the Quick 36's have to drain there oil.

Thanks for that Idea.

Restrorob
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Just go to your local hardware store and ask where the pipe nipples are and get a coupler to screw on the end of the pipe then re-use your drain plug or just get a pipe cap, These will not be dealer items. If my memory is correct it should be 3/8" but take the drain plug with you to make sure.

Vikings
05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
a much better set up now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0153.jpg

mcambrose
05-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I bought a mower (Walker) with and extension one time (installed by previous owner) and it broke when I went over a cur, but I didn't know it until the motor seized when the oil all drained out. I'm just suggesting that you might want to find a way to support your extension close to the discharge end, so you don't break it off if you catch it on something or if you accidentally grab it when moving the unit. Another option that I have seen used is in the oil sump of inboard boats. A 3/8" hose barb adapter was screwed into the oil drain and the a 3/8" hose was attached. A valve witha 3/8" hose barb fitting was attached to the end of the hose. The hose could be long enough that it would extend past the deck. Just strap it aside when not in use. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just wanted you to be careful, so you good idea didn't turn into a disaster like it did for me.

Vikings
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I had some thoughts along those lines myself. Ideally the part sticking out would be flexable, the quick 36 has a set up like that. You drain the oil from a rubber tube sticking out of the engine. It just flops around I think.

My piece doesn't stick out past the machine but it is vulnerable to a hit, but it's just such a pain changing oil in that thing. Only 1 week left to go in Power Raking season.