PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass Question

mwaller98
04-28-2007, 02:34 AM
I know at the end of the year, when we get the first frost, it kills off the cragrass. Was curious if anyone had any info about now. Crabgrass came up here in St. Louis earlier than normal with the warm temps then we had 2 weeks of super cold temps with a few heavy frosts. Will this frost kill of the crabgrass in the early tiller stages? If you have any articles I could referrence online regarding this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Guys!

Grassmechanic
04-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Crabgrass came up here in St. Louis earlier than normal with the warm temps then we had 2 weeks of super cold temps with a few heavy frosts. Will this frost kill of the crabgrass in the early tiller stages?

Yes, early frosts will kill CG. Just don't expect that this will take care of CG for the rest of the season.

RAlmaroad
04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Crabgrass is an annual grassy-weed. It sprouts from seed each year. The warmer than usual winter in most parts of the country then a blast of winter again around Easter did nib a lot of the early folliage. But the roots are in tact.
I'm curious as why crabgrass seed did germinate with the cool earth. Most germination must have 55-60 soil temps during the night. So was it really dead or just playing possum? That's why Pre-Emergent treatments. It is a puzzlement. Any other thinking minds on this?

mwaller98
04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
we measure the soil temp almost daily and during our heat streak in march, soil temps in the morning were 62-65 degrees and in the afternoon went up to 67-69! Funny because the last two years, the soil temp didn't reach 55-56 'til april

RAlmaroad
04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I hit crabgrass on the SC property in February with atrazine--great Pre-em. Areas that were pure crabgrass are now pure sand....Wanted it that way. Over dressing and putting in centipede seed. But we need rain over there, it's been so dry. Early springs are a good reason for that Extra round of pre around Christmas--down there anyway.

Nathan Robinson
04-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Frost kills crab now or end of fall. either way get that pre-m down asap.

viking72
04-28-2007, 01:04 PM
MSMA post emerge for cg.
Later,
Doug

Nathan Robinson
04-28-2007, 01:12 PM
just use dimension and and you will get the pre-and post-m affects at a lower cost than a pre-m and a msma combined. Its only a post-m up the the 5th tiller though. Nathan