PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use 3M's Dynatel 2273 to locate valves or faults

richgauci
04-28-2007, 03:53 AM
Anyone use 3M's Dynatel 2273 to locate valves or faults. Just purchased it a couple of months ago and curious if there are any other users out there. Also have the Protech 600 and the Temp 521 wand type locator. Looks like I might be selling one or both of these.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Anyone use 3M's Dynatel 2273 to locate valves or faults. Just purchased it a couple of months ago and curious if there are any other users out there. Also have the Protech 600 and the Temp 521 wand type locator. Looks like I might be selling one or both of these.

Had not heard of it...tell us about it.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Or post an URL and pics like Mike always does. :)

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:01 AM
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/utilities_telecom/-/node_GS5220872Cbe/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_72655RDCMZge/gvel_81XZ6VT88Fgl/theme_ca_en_utiltelecom_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Sure looks similar to the 521/2000 locator and ground fault. :)

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 11:33 AM
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/utilities_telecom/-/node_GS5220872Cbe/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_72655RDCMZge/gvel_81XZ6VT88Fgl/theme_ca_en_utiltelecom_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Sure looks similar to the 521/2000 locator and ground fault. :)

Thanks purpleboy....it also looks like the Ridgid locator, are they all made
by the same co?ridgidtools.com

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
That was a crummy attachment....tryridgid tools

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Both those URLs seem to be a little "limp" right now. :laugh:

http://www.professionalequipment.com/category.asp?id=72&br=RIDGID

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks purpleboy....it also looks like the Ridgid locator, are they all made by the same co?

They're prolly built in the same factor in China and then shipped to Mexico to the same assembly plant. :)

richgauci
04-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't need my Protech 600 (exactly like the Tempo 521), or the Tempo 521. This locater/fault-seek works like a charm. I hope so for the price I paid. Go for around $3000 got it for $2300. Will tell you the size of the fault, so, you could choose to ignore and move on to another. Also, very very good (Locater) in highly congested areas, where cable TV, telephone, electrical, gas, neighbors irrigation, and lighting wire are all in the vicinity. With a half decent noodle on your shoulder you could find almost anything. Found a valve a couple weeks ago under a foot of fill and a layer of paver's that was abandoned for a good 5 years. Needed to find the faults before hand, of course. You could switch from 4 locating frequencies which come in very-handy for different applications.

Mike Leary
04-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry about the limpness, I had it & lost it...story of my life.
rich..that looks very cool, about the same price of a ridgid.

PurpHaze
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
... Will tell you the size of the fault, so, you could choose to ignore and move on to another. Also, very very good (Locater) in highly congested areas, where cable TV, telephone, electrical, gas, neighbors irrigation, and lighting wire are all in the vicinity. ... You could switch from 4 locating frequencies which come in very-handy for different applications.

Definitely sounds like a step up with selective frequencies and ground fault sizing.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't need my Protech 600 (exactly like the Tempo 521), or the Tempo 521. This locater/fault-seek works like a charm. I hope so for the price I paid. Go for around $3000 got it for $2300. Will tell you the size of the fault, so, you could choose to ignore and move on to another. Also, very very good (Locater) in highly congested areas, where cable TV, telephone, electrical, gas, neighbors irrigation, and lighting wire are all in the vicinity. With a half decent noodle on your shoulder you could find almost anything. Found a valve a couple weeks ago under a foot of fill and a layer of paver's that was abandoned for a good 5 years. Needed to find the faults before hand, of course. You could switch from 4 locating frequencies which come in very-handy for different applications.

If it was less than thousand I would jump on it. 3000 is an awful lot to replace my 521 and 901? (fault finder) which I think do pretty good. Was the protech better than your 521? I heard it was better in areas with lots of utilities.

richgauci
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Overall they're identical. Use the Protech 600 because of the longer wand. My back is only operating on a couple cylinders, could use any help it could get.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Overall they're identical. Use the Protech 600 because of the longer wand. My back is only operating on a couple cylinders, could use any help it could get.

Thanks I've got a bad back as well. You don't know of a good web site for us back strugglers? I saw a waist band wrap once that has reinforcement in it for support and I'm trying to find it.

Keith
04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Off topic, but I see the 521 mentioned. Anyone noticed the new 521A? Longer wand, uses D-batteries, narrower carrying case, external speaker. Looks like they changed the things that the Pro600 had previously addressed.

http://65.36.183.19/docs/ma4961.pdf

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah they had it at the IA show in San Antone. looked nice. It had not been released by then but maybe it has now. Also they told me that a couple of former employees had left and started selling a 521 knock off which led to some legal threats. I was thinking it was the protech.

Keith
04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I believe I had read something about that, about where ProTech came from. Amazingly enough, it looks like the teacher took some lessons from the student ;)

richgauci
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes ProTech is the former employees of Tempo/Progressive. Due to legality issues they only could sell without distributers. The ProTech 600 is exactly that, a reincarnated version of the Temp521. Longer wand, 8 D' batteries, and so fourth. Only half the price. Like I said, have them both and they're identical as far as there specs.

Keith
04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I have a ProTech myself. And in the short time that have owned it, I am very pleased with it. For the money it's hard to go wrong. I don't know how I did without one.

fire&rain
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM

WOW!!!!

Is this the same locator that you have Rich????

http://www.testersandtools.com/Pro-Tech-Pro600-TechTracker-Wire-and-Valve-Locator.php

I currently use the 521, however, I'm putting another truck on the road for service only and was going to try the Pro-Tech 600.

Either I'm looking at the wrong product or some pricing got way out of wack when you bought yours.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2007, 06:36 AM
WOW!!!!

Is this the same locator that you have Rich????

http://www.testersandtools.com/Pro-Tech-Pro600-TechTracker-Wire-and-Valve-Locator.php

I currently use the 521, however, I'm putting another truck on the road for service only and was going to try the Pro-Tech 600.

Either I'm looking at the wrong product or some pricing got way out of wack when you bought yours.

I remember this thread you are looking at the wrong product. Go to the beginning and he bought a much higher end locator.

fire&rain
06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok, thanks.

What model are you all talking about???

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, thanks.

What model are you all talking about???

It's the name of the thread. It's like a 521 but more accurate and sensitive. Send him a pm I'd like to know how it is working for him.

unit28
06-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Off topic, but I see the 521 mentioned. Anyone noticed the new 521A? Longer wand, uses D-batteries, narrower carrying case, external speaker. Looks like they changed the things that the Pro600 had previously addressed.

http://65.36.183.19/docs/ma4961.pdf

I would never use an external speaker,
#1 to many barking dogs to T me off even more.
#2 the homeowner gets to yack at me while I try and trace a line.

Although that would add more to my time for being there...ka ching!

so ...I dunno.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Rich if you are around how has this worked out for you so far?

AltaLawnCare
10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Rich if you are around how has this worked out for you so far?

I'd like to know too.
:)