PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing near wells.

Lynden-Jeff
04-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey,

I am looking for a little info. I do not spread fertilizer for clients however I would like to spread some at my own house. Now we have a well. I don't want to contaminate anything. Is there anything I should know to prevent this? Will just following the application directions be alright?

Cheers
Jeff

RAlmaroad
04-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Xoopiter:
There are two types of wells--Deep and Shallow. You're a deep well person no doubt. Shallow wells are in sand mostly near large bodies of water. The lens of the earth premit this. Thats why wells on the coast are typically only around 16-20 feet. Deep wells are drilled through the soil level, though some shelf rock and finally through solid rock to hit an acquafer or stream inside. It takes roughtly 6 months for rainfall to affect the ground acquafers. Granular fertilize (in my opinion will get absorbed in the ground and flushed by rain water into the acquafer) I have no basis for this except over 50 year of dealing with wells. The depth of your well will detetermine how long any residue will be flushed into the acquafer and the straining capacities of the soil, and the running of the acquafer, that meaning: is it deeping from your home or rising to the earth's surface.Most of our water is so pure when tested meaning that the fertilizer is not seeping or flushed into the acqufers. Our wells are typically about 500' deep in Tennessee. On the coast properties chances are that they may be contiimated with some fertilizer, but most are only used for irrigation, sorta like recycling your fertilize.
In the end, have your well water tested at the local health department and just see--I bet it is fairly pure if your well is deep.
Hope this will help

upidstay
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
If you have a deep well, as described in the above post, you'll be fine.

Lynden-Jeff
04-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Our wells are actually fairly shallow, around 30 - 40 feet. We don't drink our well water, just for showering bathing etc. Ive gotten a few quotes from companies and they havent said anything bad or about the well.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Jeff

Nathan Robinson
04-30-2007, 01:11 AM
they wont say anything bad about it. They are trying to sell you there service. Go with a total organic program. Secure that well. Dont bathe in pesticides! Call Natures Pro or your local independant organic fertilizing operator. The most important thing you would want to keep out of the well is pre-m and post-m. All pesticides cause cancer. Refer to the book "Natural cures they dont want you to know about". After reading that book you will refrain from chemical fertilizers and pesticides.....

upidstay
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Nathan, spare us all your scare tactics. I have seen the results of well water tests from lawns treated with pesticides for decades, and all were just fine. Follow the directions, don't be an idiot, and pesticides are perfectly safe.

turf hokie
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=Nathan Robinson;1813309] All pesticides cause cancer. QUOTE]

WOW...learn something new everyday

americanlawn
04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
We treat the West Des Moines Water Department lawns.

Seven sites in all.

Six of seven, we use the typical pre/post/fert.

The main processing plant, we spray broadleaf weed control only. Don't know why, but this is what they requested.

Personally, I don't see a prob with slow-release nitrogen. Iowa is full of farms that load up on the stuff, and Des Moines gets it's water from Iowa rivers. Go figure.

There are alot worse things in drinking water than "lawn nutrients".

Animal manure is one of them.