PDA

View Full Version : briggs/scag replacement motor problems

wahlturfcare
04-28-2007, 11:08 AM
i put a 24hp briggs replacement motor onto my 52'' scag about a year ago(electric start) and the other day after have 3 days of heavy rean the mower started loosing half its power and would sputter. i messed with the wires by shaking them and it started working fine. i tried it on the next property and it sputtered again. while it was sputtering i messed with the coil wires and ignition wires and it dies. now im not getting any power on the black coil wire at the switch or anywhere else in the line. the other wires to the starter, motorm etc are all getting power.

Any ideas on what to try?

khouse
04-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I think your on to it. When you say you messed with the coil and ignition wires and it dies then your real close to the problem. Try unplugging and plugging all the connectors inspecting each one as you go. It could be as simple as that. It also could be a coil wire leaking out to ground since it was wet. Try drying the coil wires and inside the spark plug boots with brake cleaner and/or compressed air.

wahlturfcare
04-28-2007, 07:24 PM
one shop today told me to cut the wire to the coil(black) and see if it starts then as it would be the kill wire, right?

Restrorob
04-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes it is, That would eliminate any safety/ignition switches but you should be able to disconnect it instead of cutting it.

wahlturfcare
04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
it worked and the mower runs now. would the wires them self be bad or the coils?

Restrorob
04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
This tells you the coil is fine, You have a problem with a operator presence switch (safety switch) or ignition switch or the black kill wire is shorted to ground somewhere along the frame. You can test all the switches with a multimeter and trace the kill lead for a short to ground.

wahlturfcare
04-30-2007, 08:42 AM
thats what i figured. i swapped out the key switched with the rider and it did the same thing, i think i will make a new wire to the switch now.