PDA

View Full Version : opinion on metal in pumps ?? ferris ? help

turfeater
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Hello
I noticed on my new ferris IS 1500 with less then two hrs now ,, that I was topping off the hydro oil , when I noticed very fine metal particles floating in the reservoir,, they were sparking in the sun .....

maybe 50 to 100 per square inch ,,but enough for me to be concerned ,,

Question ,,,Are the pumps breaking in or something wrong here ?
And why wouldn't the filter take them out ? Too small ? .........

I'm going to run it a little this evening and temp probe them to see if the are running hotter then normal ,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for advice ,,,Will contact dealer mechanic monday also .

Bill Kapaun
04-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, you said they were floating.....
How's a filter supposed to get them?

MowerMedic77
04-29-2007, 07:37 AM
What does your owners manual say for break in procedure and service interval on the hydro system?

turfeater
04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, you said they were floating.....
How's a filter supposed to get them?

I guess a few will be in suspension for a while ,,but I would think that most would pass thru the filter because of the in out flow of the reservoir ,ferris makes a return in to top of tank and out the bottom .. so the tank would allways be mixing and flowing thru

turfeater
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM
What does your owners manual say for break in procedure and service interval on the hydro system?

It does not say anything about break in ,,just the 250 hour hydro filter change which also emptys the tank ,,so in essence you end up changing
the oil at least most of it...
...Last night I temped the pumps and engine just to see .....
Good 45 minutes run in medium grass ... pumps where running close to 118 each and engine 150 at the crank case ,, out side temp about 65 .
Normal compared to my exmark lazer.....
Today I'm going to empty the reservoir into a glass container and change filter ,,,sure couldn,t hurt .

then if it still looks like a lot of particles take to my dealer ...thanks rt

Restrorob
04-29-2007, 12:11 PM
I would suggest NOT changing the oil but take it back to your dealer so they can SEE the evidence of a possible problem. If you change the oil and have a failure down the road you telling them of this episode will hold no water.....

turfeater
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks Never thought of that ,,good idea ....

ron

turfeater
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Today I called sle and the mechanic there said to stick a magnet in the tank for a minute or two to see what it will pick up ... will call back with results .. A little nerve wracking to make sure all was clean and not loose it ,,,,little to no particals were on a very stong mag ,,,, But as I was doing this I used a flash light and could see the particals flowing thur the tank ,,my guess is its mostly or all aluminum , the oil even looks grayish now .

Well I'm definitely taking it to a local dealer this week ,reguardless what sle says .
I thought it was kind of a pointless exersize anyway , other then telling me it may have been worse then I thought !

Sucks I need this machine in production , not sitting at a dealer for who knows how long at this busy time ...