PDA

View Full Version : Hungry rabbits.

jcom
04-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Rabbits are targeting several homes here. Not our installs. We bury our stuff.

These homes have exposed manifolds and associated wiring. Rabbits have completely eaten the wiring. What happened to carrots??? We can continue to repair $$$$
as the customer does not want to spend the money to bury the valves.

We winterize using manual activation on these properties so are resistant to wire covers. We are looking for options to keep the rabbits off the wiring.

Thanks for all the help,

John

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-28-2007, 11:52 PM
im just taking a stab but i would research what they are repelled against and utulizt said mterial..

i would love to see what the dogs bark back for this response....
im guessing Strict 9....you must bury the valves..thats where i would start...take a piss in the box while you do the turn on..JK...

good luck buddy!

Dirty Water
04-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Wild Rabbits or just your typical scourge of a few escaped domestic rabbits turning into thousands of rabbits in the neighborhood?

Have you considered just telling the customers to call pest control?

dKoester
04-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Get some cages and relocate them.

PurpHaze
04-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Put a sign up: "Rabbits... $150 each" and someone will steal/shoot them in no time flat.

bobw
04-29-2007, 01:05 AM
About once a year I end up with a customer that's had field mice get into a valve box. They eat all the insulation off the wires and then use the wires to sharpen their teeth. You can't imagine the electrical headaches this causes.

Dirty Water
04-29-2007, 01:12 AM
A few years back we had a pet rabbit as a indoor pet. We had housetrained it and it was pretty much like a cat to us.

However, it would always chew on our wires. It somehow knew the difference between the 110v power cord to the tv, and the audio cables. Time and time again I'd replace a cable that it had ruined and wonder why it didn't just chew into a power line.

PurpHaze
04-29-2007, 01:26 AM
A few years back we had a pet rabbit as a indoor pet. We had housetrained it and it was pretty much like a cat to us.

However, it would always chew on our wires. It somehow knew the difference between the 110v power cord to the tv, and the audio cables. Time and time again I'd replace a cable that it had ruined and wonder why it didn't just chew into a power line.

Silly rabbit...

All you would of needed to stop him would have been an Elmer Fudd action hero strategically placed in the house. :laugh:

irrig8r
04-29-2007, 03:57 AM
It's not just wires that squirrels and rats sharpen their teeth on around here, I've seen flow control handles on valves rasped away to stubs.

Also one R-50 rotor cap to the point it leaked out in several spots around the edges...Lots of 1800 shrub adapters too....alll tiny tooth marks..

Rodents teeth continue to grow and must be sharpened...

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Try building a box around the valves?

bicmudpuppy
04-29-2007, 05:55 AM
It's not just wires that squirrels and rats sharpen their teeth on around here, I've seen flow control handles on valves rasped away to stubs.

Also one R-50 rotor cap to the point it leaked out in several spots around the edges...Lots of 1800 shrub adapters too....alll tiny tooth marks..

Rodents teeth continue to grow and must be sharpened...

Was at a site last year where the squirrels were eating heads. customer ha limited success building wire cages around them. 4" spray bodies, set to depth with small tubes of wire screen around them to reduce the squirrels chewing the plastic. Got to be some HUNGRY squirrels!

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Squirrels, rats, rabbits, ants, and yard service are making my drip jobs hard to manage. I'm getting to the point where I do an initial setup then teach the customer how to use, monitor, and repair. The joke here is Dallas never had squirrels until an SMU professor brought them. Also squirrels and rabbits are rats with good pr.

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
The rabbits, you can eat. Squirrels, I'm not so sure of.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Squirrels can be eaten and are really good mixed with possum in with your goulash.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I bet bic has a recipe for both cooked rabbit and squirrel.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
around New england you can only eat rabbits during the winter seasOWN...

in the spring/fall/summer they have a parasite in them that make people sick

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Hmmmmm, I just learned that Rabbit Fever had been used as a bio-weapon in WWII, and that the tularemia genome has been discovered (and declassified) by now, so it won't pose the same threat itt had in the past.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
bubonic plague (Maybe the greatest killer that ever attacked humans) was caused or transferred by rats so a rabbit bio-weapon would not surprise me.

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Another surprising revelation - the same human genetic 'quirk' that allowed some folks to avoid AIDS was responsible for a village in England surviving an outbreak of plague.

bicmudpuppy
04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I bet bic has a recipe for both cooked rabbit and squirrel.

Both fry well serverd with a cream sauce :) I can't believe I'm saying this, but PFC Rotard is correct about rabbits. Rule always was never to eat them until after a good killing frost.

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Jon will second this...we get moles filling up our boxes (to the top!).
Never chewed thru wires tho, did get bit once....agggghhhhhh!
Hank is covering the bottoms w/ chicken wire...moles are smarter than that,
we'll see..we used white gypsm gravel & it helped..no cure. Is their a recipe
for baked mole?

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe that's what's in Mexican mole sauce :p

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I just remembered a tactic a customer used to keep the rats from chewing her drip lines. She takes the plastic cases from 35mm film. pokes holes in the lid. Puts moth balls in there and spreads them around her garden. the container keeps the moth balls dry.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Both fry well serverd with a cream sauce :) I can't believe I'm saying this, but PFC Rotard is correct about rabbits. Rule always was never to eat them until after a good killing frost.

lol this is Quote worthy on many levels.....

me=SeLF't

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Don't let it go to your head..we do have recipes for crow.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
lol easy there dirt bunny

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I thought Sheshovel was honorary dirt bunny :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 03:19 PM
dirtbunny=fantastic name for a ditch digger.....
special thanks to -dirt monkey, shovel muffin, Gerbil

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I have not had a shovel in my hands for twenty years...so "bunny" does not
apply...."bunny" denotes a inexperienced pup.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 03:29 PM
so who does your trenching mike?

or are you the computer programer?

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 03:33 PM
so who does your trenching mike?

or are you the computer programer?

No, Jon is the phone man, but I've been chair/truck bound keeping the fires
under control, ordering parts, bidding, praying for payment...all the things
employees never understand.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
ahhh i see...you must of liked that improvment..I really want to get into that section of the biz....I love to trench and pull pipe but the pay scale ends around 20-25
the estimators get the big bucks..is your company big? sorry to intrude...but just wondering? and do you use raincad?

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought Sheshovel was honorary dirt bunny :)

Cute Boots very cute........dirtbunny my azzzzzzzzz

anyway, the rangers always have to watch out for the Mongs cuz they come up here and the get the squirrels. drive them down butt first on a sharp stick, alive mind you, and cook them until their stomachs burst open. I guess that is against the law. A ranger told me this. They also will steal small dogs to eat.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Did someone say small dogs for dinner???

Im hungary!

hey she..i gotta go Pwn my new gardOWN..ill hit you up later if your online sugga!!!!
w00t!

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I spent the first five years as a one man show...building a client base because
even w/high end, a recession could wreck new contruction..so a client base
was first priority. As we got a little more comfy, employees were added & at
one time I had six employees..never wanted to be really big..too intense.
When it came time to sell, which I did last year, the client base paidoff big.

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
What did he say? I'm reading you Mike anyways. Uhuh very interesting dear.

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 04:11 PM

It was some Rotard thread..sorry to spew my philosophy.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 04:11 PM

She shovel don't be tempted by what he might be saying. Mike is doing us a favor not quoting him. Rotar does not exist. To save me thinking time what are mongs?

PurpHaze
04-29-2007, 04:50 PM
... anyway, the rangers always have to watch out for the Mongs...

Mongs is short for Mongols... people originating from the steppes region of Mongolia and originally a nomadic "horse people." Hmongs are indigenous mountain peoples from Vietnam, Thailand and Laos... many who have immigrated to the US. :p

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 05:09 PM
She shovel don't be tempted by what he might be saying. Mike is doing us a favor not quoting him. Rotar does not exist. To save me thinking time what are mongs?

Awwww you are so protective of She, how sweet. Believe me Tails, I tempt others, they do not tempt me. He is just a pup, I am old enough to be his mother dear. Don't be silly. I prefer grown adult men.

Mike Leary
04-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Irrirmom...so nice to have you in scout pack "zip city".

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Awwww you are so protective of She, how sweet. Believe me Tails, I tempt others, they do not tempt me. He is just a pup, I am old enough to be his mother dear. Don't be silly. I prefer grown adult men.

I guess you won't agree with me that he should be incarcerated until he is 55? They say that a mans' good or evil side is pretty much set in by the time they are 18 and if they are evil you need to lock them up until they are 55 and then they are so beaten down they behave the rest of their life. At least that's how we do it in Texas. So what is a mong? (Can one be among mongs?)

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I prefer grown adult men.Then how on earth did you ever wind up here? :confused:

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 08:12 PM
tuff crowd.....

all of you BIG DOGS need a group hug.

Remote Pigtails
04-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Now you've got me thinking how wrong that sentence is. Aren't all adult men "grown"? Is there another "grown" she is referring to? It's getting too much for me. Thank goodness for work and sports.

Wet_Boots
04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Group hug? Hey, you're not from one of those states, are you?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
lol....there tring that funny stuff around here...Vermont is...NH is trying..

but as of right now no....on a sidenote P-town is the capital of the Northeast for that kind of behavior

sheshovel
05-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I guess you won't agree with me that he should be incarcerated until he is 55? They say that a mans' good or evil side is pretty much set in by the time they are 18 and if they are evil you need to lock them up until they are 55 and then they are so beaten down they behave the rest of their life. At least that's how we do it in Texas. So what is a mong? (Can one be among mongs?)
Sooo how long you been out? Heh,

sheshovel
05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Now you've got me thinking how wrong that sentence is. Aren't all adult men "grown"? Is there another "grown" she is referring to? It's getting too much for me. Thank goodness for work and sports.
No all adult men are not grown, some are born.
Some grow up and some never do even after they are adults. Hey wait a minute here..................

Say what????