PDA

View Full Version : Drip line for entire yard??

h2oman
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi all!! Great Forum! This is my first post and enjoy reading all the helpful insight you guys give.
I have been in the business for over 7 years, and still learning.
My question is I went to do an estimate yesterday and the customer wants nothing but drip line to irrigate his yard, front and back. Front yard is triangle shaped 68' long x 50' wide at the widest point and 27' at the smallest point. Back yard is pretty straight forward 70' long x 105' wide. I have never heard of installing drip throughout the entire yard! I tride to talk him out of doing it this way, but he insisted that they do this in Cali., and he wants to save water in the process of irrigating his yard.
Has anyone installed this way??, I'm not talking about flower beds either, we all done that. I have seen the ad in Irr.& Green Mag. with the vermeer and drip attached to it, but does anyone actually do it, and how effictive is it?
Thanks for your help.
Thought this may help. Existing lawn with bermuda sodded front and fescue back.

Dirty Water
04-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Netafim tubing is designed for that. Contact your supplier for some merchandise about that.

I haven't done it, but I believe its usually spaded into the ground on 1' spacing. There is a maximum amount of distance a line can cover, so I'd definitly talk to your supplier and get the numbers.

Come up with a plan, run some PVC feeder lines into the yard and divide it up into zones. I picture something like a 1" feeder line down the middle of a yard with the 1/2" netafim drip line coming off it on 1' intervals.

They do this a lot in nevada. Just remember that if your customer ever wants any utility work done in the yard they will have to repair a LOT of lines.

h2oman
04-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Even still where is the air relief installed at if every thing is 6-8" under ground? I think I heard that max. run on netafim is 200' ??? could be wrong.

PurpHaze
04-29-2007, 02:13 AM
And if it's not done right you'll have green "crop circle" patterns throughout the lawn. Someone has a pic of a poorly done subterranean system. Maybe they'll post it.

LCPullman
04-29-2007, 02:29 AM
Check out these links. The first is a very informative design guide.

http://www.netafimusa.net/downloads/LND/LTLCVDG-Techline_CV_Design_Guide.pdf

http://www.netafim-usa-landscape.com/Landscape/p-dripperline-Techline-17mm.php

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Beat me to it.

bicmudpuppy
04-29-2007, 05:46 AM
The netafim site is very informative. Check the vermeer thread on this site as well. The netafim looks like good stuff, just front end pricey. I talked to a colorado Netafim rep the other day about a project. The netafim seems to be averaging more than 50% water savings and he led me to believe with good management that they have seen water reductions in excess of 75% on some projects. That pays for itself over time.