PDA

View Full Version : A warning guys

sheshovel
04-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I saw a bee control outfit on TV open up a valve box in the ground that had a bee hive inside it. Packed with pissed off bees. That box was underground, lid exposed like we see everyday.
It was a scary thing to see for sure.
Always step back you never know what you will find when you take off the lid of a valve box. I have seen snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widow spiders, wasps, mice. Not bees yet.

bicmudpuppy
04-29-2007, 05:59 AM
I saw a bee control outfit on TV open up a valve box in the ground that had a bee hive inside it. Packed with pissed off bees. That box was underground, lid exposed like we see everyday.
It was a scary thing to see for sure.
Always step back you never know what you will find when you take off the lid of a valve box. I have seen snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widow spiders, wasps, mice. Not bees yet.

I find snakes when winterizing every fall. Haven't seen a poisonous one since years ago in KY. My arms stay scared from spider bites. Just glad I'm not real sensitive to recluse bites. They fester for a time and then finally heal. Keep the wounds clean. Betadine is a wonderful thing. And one more time I will repeat that I am glad to be north of fire ant territory. I also haven't seen a scorpion since leaving TX, but I know they are around in limited numbers in KS.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
So far this year on my turn ons ive seen a Gang of Black widows/baby widows/a few varmin squirrls ect/every time i go into a deep well pit that im sketchy about i bring a shovel..Last spring i saw a nasty snake.

but bees? i hope i never come across that problem although on an install i got slammed in the eyelid by a hornet...

every time i think a black widow or something i wrap my hand in my hoddie sleve for a little xtra protection....

woot be safe!

Bigred350
05-01-2007, 12:22 AM
LAst summer I got bit by a baby Copperhead (most venimous). It was crawled undernet a centrifical pump mounted on a pier. I spent 2 days in ICU and 1 day in a regular room at the hospitol. I had 2 doctors on standby 24 hours a day while I was there. They gave me 10 doses of anti venom which they said most of the time they dont give people any just let the venom run its course.

1 dose of anti venom cost about 1,000 to 2000 dollars each. I had 10. When it was all said and done it cost about $30,000 for the hospitol bill!!! Thank goodness for insurance:)

I also got front page of the local paper!!!

Bigred350
05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
here is a link to the artical.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060506/NEWS/605060335&SearchID=73279680740419

If the link dont work here is what it says.

Local man bitten by deadly snake

By Bernie Delinski

Staff Writer

Last Updated:May 06. 2006 12:01AM
Published: May 06. 2006 3:30AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Bigred350/Arm.jpg
Nurses charted the swelling on Mark Murphy's arm with a marker.
ONCE BITTEN ...

If you're bitten by a snake:

Wash the bite with soap and water.

Immobilize the bitten area and keep it lower than the heart.

Get medial help.

If medical help is more than 30 minutes away, a bandage wrapped two to four inches above the bite may help slow the venom. It should not cut off blood flow -- make it loose enough that a finger can be slipped under it.

Don't incise the wound or apply a tourniquet.

If you have a snakebite kit and medical help is more than 30 minutes away, you may want to place a suction device that usually comes with such a kit over the bite to help draw venom out of the wound without making cuts.

KILLEN -- Initially, Mac Murphy thought something had poked his hand when he reached down toward a sprinkler-system pump at Killen's Turtle Cove subdivision.

"Then I saw him," said the 20-year-old Murphy, of Murphy Brothers Nursery.

What Murphy saw was a copperhead, curled and ready to strike, again. That "poke" on Murphy's hand was the snake's first strike.

That was at 11:20 a.m. Tuesday. By 11:50 a.m., Murphy was at ECM Hospital in Florence with a right hand swelled to twice its normal size.

The swelling moved up his arm. The ECM staff marked locations on his right arm where the swelling ended. Around noon, it was at his wrist. Within 20 minutes, it was halfway between his wrist and elbow. It continued to climb.

"I didn't know what to think," Murphy said. "I was hoping I didn't get sick from it."

His father, David Murphy, said Mac's fingers looked like hot dogs, and his hand reminded him of an inflated surgical glove.

"It was so tight in my fingers, I couldn't move them," Mac Murphy said.

Physicians gave Murphy anti-venom, at first in slow doses in case he had a bad reaction. They gave heavier doses when they were confident there wasn't a negative reaction.

They also administered antibiotics, explaining that it's common to get an infection from a snakebite because a snake's fangs are dirty.

A surgeon was on standby. "They told us if his arm goes to sleep because of the swelling, they'd have to open it up to release it," David Murphy said. "But he had feeling in his fingers."

By the end of the day, Murphy had 10 doses of anti-venom. Late that night, the swelling started to subside, much to his relief.

Murphy stayed in the intensive care unit Tuesday night, moved to a private room Wednesday and was released Thursday, feeling well.

The home's owner killed the snake.

ECM workers told the Murphys the hospital averages two poisonous snakebite cases a year.

Florence Animal Control officer Vinny Grosso said spring and fall are the most active times for snakes.

He said copperheads, cottonmouths and rattlesnakes are the venomous snakes common to this area. They typically are in rural areas instead of city limits.

A poisonous snake is identified by its triangular head, cat's eyes and a pit between the nostrils and eyes, Grosso said.

His best advice for a victim of a poisonous bite is to remain calm.

"You've got time. You don't have to rush," Grosso said. "Get to the hospital, and they'll take care of you. The only danger would be if (the snake finds) a vein, because the blood would go straight to the heart.

"The bite is going to be painful, but most of the time, because our snakes have hemotoxins instead of neurotoxins, it's going to cause damage to tissue but you'll be fine."

Hemotoxins can destroy red blood cells. Neurotoxins destroy nerves or nervous tissue.

Grosso said people who are allergic to bee stings and other venoms may have more problems.

He said a bite from a poisonous snake doesn't necessarily draw venom, especially if it's an adult because the snake realizes the value of its venom.

"Venom is a digestive enzyme that helps them digest their kill," Grosso said. "It can't do so if its venom supply is gone.

"They don't typically want to bite you. That's why rattlers rattle, is to warn you they're there."

Grosso recommends having a snakebite kit if you're on a long camping trip or are in wooded areas often. He cautions to be careful about using a tourniquet, because it could cut off your circulation and result in more problems than a bite would have caused.

sheshovel
05-01-2007, 12:51 AM
WoW that is something else! Scary. Glad you are ok. Was there any way you could have avoided that happening?

Remote Pigtails
05-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow. I especially like that one note on your arm that says "call me if passes". Glad you came out okay.

bicmudpuppy
05-01-2007, 08:24 AM
It was just the other day we were talking about repairs and someone else got to do exactly what we talked about. I had a baby copperhead on #1 green yesterday. Mid morning AFTER verticutting twice and mowing twice to remove the trash. He "showed up" after top dressing before dragging the brush to level in the sand. I would guess one of my Eagles or other birds dropped him there for me. Can't imagine a copper head (about 12" long) traveling out onto the short grass like that out of choice. Real glad I have a healthy respect for snakes. Murphy's "fun" sounds like something I could skip. Hope the nurses were way above par :)

Remote Pigtails
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
We had to deal with a few moccasins on our course but never coppers. one thing on snakes. My favorite reptile by the way. I have a funeral service for any small brown snake I cut in half digging up v boxes. Don't confuse the king snake as a poisonous snake. They actually eat poisonous snakes. Learn your king snake. he is our friend.

PurpHaze
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for sharing Murphy.

Usually when something comes up on the forum it ends up happening to someone else. Looks like Bryan had the encounter but escaped. All's clear again.

DanaMac
05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Article in our paper today about a local judge that was bit by a rattlesnake when he got off his mtn. bike. Right in an area of town where I have lots of work.

Bigred350
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
The snake was curled up under the pump I reached down to screw the union together for the foot. I just did not think to look under the pump to see if a snake was under there. But I do now. And usually carry a sharp shooter with me.

That pic was taken 3 days after the bite. So the swelling was almost gone. It bit me on the nuckel of my index finger. I could not wiggle my fingers because they were swelled up so much. My Dad said I looked like the goodyear tire mascott.

irrig8r
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
We run into the occasional gopher snake.. http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/p.c.catenifer.html

Biggest I've handled was about 4 and a half ft. long.. I freed him from some bird netting where he was entagled and let him go.. they're not poisonous, they can bite when cornered. I see a lot more lizards and salamanders actually.

King snakes are the coolest. http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/l.zonata.html

They'll eat rattlers, so a king snake siting means watch out for rattlers. Their coloration is red, white and black bands... a few years back a friend of mine and I were at the local reservoir in his little sailboat and we needed to drain the Zimas we'd been drinking to allow room for more...anyway, he was maybe 30 feet away from me when I heard him yell "snake!" and turned to see him jump about 3 feet in the air and take off running... I almost fell over laughing. He was from Ohio and had never seen a California mountain king snake before and probably almost stepped on it before he saw it.... bright colors, about 4 feet long, and fast moving. I coulsd see how it scared him a little.:laugh:

irrig8r
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
The snake was curled up under the pump I reached down to screw the union together for the foot. I just did not think to look under the pump to see if a snake was under there. But I do now. And usually carry a sharp shooter with me.

That pic was taken 3 days after the bite. So the swelling was almost gone. It bit me on the nuckel of my index finger. I could not wiggle my fingers because they were swelled up so much. My Dad said I looked like the goodyear tire mascott.

I guess we're just lucky nothing too dangerous lives around here. The spider I run into in valve boxes (and I used to think was a black widow variant) is really called Steatoda. Usually purplish colored around here. I've been bit by them, and it swells a little and then goes away after a few days...
I think I've run across both Steatoda bipunctalis and Steatoda grossa (See photos at link below.)

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6926/bgimage

PurpHaze
05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I carry cans of insect spray in my truck for roaches, spiders and ants. If that fails... primer will piss them off big time. :)

Remote Pigtails
05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I carry cans of insect spray in my truck for roaches, spiders and ants. If that fails... primer will piss them off big time. :)

Primer also makes worms wiggle like crazy.:cool2: