PDA

View Full Version : Nandinas are drowning

CuttinUP
04-29-2007, 03:27 PM
This is a landscape job that I did last summer. The Fire pwr Nandinas at the front of the bed are dieing dew to poor drainage. That down spout had a flex pipe installed the next day after the job was complete, and it extends out into the yard about 2 feet past the bed. The soil here sucks, it was all clay and I tilled in compost and topsoil. The boxwoods are doing fine. Yesterday I pulled up the Nandinas and there was about 4 inches of water standing in the holes. So, when I made this bed in the clay, I basiclly created a catch basin that will not drain. This is what I am thinking needs to be done, and please tell me if it is the correct way to address this problem. Pull all the plants out, put a corrugated pipe underground at the front of the bed and raise the bed with Pete or sand tilled in? Not sure which or both. Then do I need to run laterals T-ing off out into the yard or into like a french drain? Thanks for any input.:help:

CuttinUP
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Need some advice on this please!:help: :help: :help:

tthomass
04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't know if I read this all correctly since I'm 1/2 asleep but how about putting in a pop-up drain ($10) from Lowe's to get the water away. When you plant the new FP dig the hole about 1 1/2 - 2ft deep and will with composted topsoil mix......its all fertile and the water will drain below the roots. Or like you said, mound each plant up a little.

CuttinUP
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't know if I read this all correctly since I'm 1/2 asleep but how about putting in a pop-up drain ($10) from Lowe's to get the water away.

What is a pop up drain?:confused:

tthomass
04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.classicdrainage.com/page2.html

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Gimmie a few minutes.

sheshovel
05-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Don't know if you can read that or not, but you will have to extend that drain and get the water out and away from the area. Even if you raise the bed the water will still sit there under it. Do not add sand!

sheshovel
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Hard for me to tell which way the yard is graded to drain at the sides.

Focal Point Landscapes
05-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Tthomas has a good idea , but you indicated that you already extended the downspout beyond the bed - that may not be the source of the standing water . I would try your idea of a french drain across the front of the bed and tee off into the yard into a gravel basin - then raise the nandinas up by building up the bed .

gammon landscaping
05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
looks to me that you are traping the water behind the mound you have made. i think that you may be better off just putting a few small pipes from the back of the mulch to the frount. i ran in to this problem once when we did a planting in front of a comercial building and they had latace under the deck and i was unable to fill dirt in behind the latice.

CuttinUP
05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Don't know if you can read that or not, but you will have to extend that drain and get the water out and away from the area. Even if you raise the bed the water will still sit there under it. Do not add sand!

The down spout is not the problem. There is a flex tube attached to the down spout exiting away from the bed. The home owner dosen't want to run a french drain. So I think I am going to raise the bed a few inches and bring the bed out a few inches and put a corrugated pipe along the front down about 12 inches deep. At least this will give the water some where else to go.

Coffeecraver
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Dig a trench along the back side of the bed then tee it out throught the bed at the center,

Then dig a pit about 4' wide and 16-18" deep,then fill it with drainage rock.

Put fabric over the stone in the hole and then topsoil
then replace the sod that you dug out to make the pit.

CuttinUP
05-01-2007, 11:47 PM
The back side of the bed is the high side of the bed. Shouldn't the drain pipe go on the down grade side of the bed?

Focal Point Landscapes
05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes. Otherwise , you will be leaching water into all the plants.