PDA

View Full Version : Watering schedule for fresh laid sod?

Gbug
04-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm laying a pallet of sod soon and still undecided on how much it needs to be watered. It will be St. Augustine sod, temps in mid 80s. How often and for how long should it get watered?

Armadillolawncare
04-30-2007, 03:00 AM
You need to water enough to keep the soil damp or moist. I would say water at least once a day for two weeks. If you can put the sprinklers on a timer or if they have an irrigation system then set them to water at around 4am daily. If they have an irrigation system go ahead and water once in the am and again in the pm. I would also put down some starter fert to help get the roots going.

DiyDave
04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
You can't over water it. Generally keep the ground wet enough to sink your foot in an inch or so, for the first month, with maybe a little dry period to mow it, then back off to about 1" per week later.

MarcSmith
04-30-2007, 08:37 PM
every day for two weeks, ever other day for two weeks, every third day for two weeks, then you should only need once a week after that.

put down at least 1" of water each day for watering. water early am 4-6am if you get a realy hot day you may need to lightly water in the afternoon 3-5pm..

AGLA
04-30-2007, 08:59 PM
The thing you have to understand is that sod is essentially a bare root plant. It does not care how wet the soil beneath it is. What matters is that its roots don't dry out. Having a layer of mud beneath it is often a result of having to keep watering, but not a goal you should strive for. That only causes a mess when the neighbors kid waks across it.

Watering in the evening is more likely to cause fungus growth than help the sod. The grass has no need for additional water unless it is dangerously dried out already.

Water first thing in the morning until the sod strips are we all the way through then stop. Water again in the late morning the same way. Then again in the mid afternoon. Now you might have heard that watering in the hot sun is bad, but letting your sod dry out is worse.

The soil beneath will remain pretty moist from you watering, so the sod will begin to root in after about a week.Then you can cut back to twice a day. After another week you can drop to once a day and then every other day the following week. I'm in the northeast where most sod in KBG, so it might be a bit different down there.

Gbug
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys for the input