PDA

View Full Version : How many plants?

clallen03
04-29-2007, 07:01 PM
A client has a tree ring that she wants seasonal color in. This tree ring is about 25sqft. She wants pink and yellow flowers in this bed.

How many flats do I need to fill a bed this size and what type flowers has this color and will be good for this season? I need this to give her an estimate.

Thanks for all your help

Kate Butler
04-29-2007, 09:40 PM
We would need more information to help you with this. Is the tree small or does it provide shade? Would the area needing flowers be sunny or shady and for how many hours of the day?

clallen03
04-29-2007, 10:20 PM
This area is full sun. Its under a very young maple tree that cast little to no shade on this area.

I need number of flats for an area this size and type of seasonal flowers that is best suited for this time of year. I did pansies for the fall, but this is the first spring I have offered seasonal color.

Any help will be great.
Thanks

tjsquickcuts
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Same math....just give them enough spacing to grow. I have a four flat minimum. But I would say about 3 to 5 flats, depending on what flowers, and your arrangement.

clallen03
04-29-2007, 11:28 PM
What kind of plants are you using for spring color? I have a 25 sqft tree ring I have to work with.

Thanks for your help.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
04-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Lots of variables. Are you planting 4" plants, jumbo 4 packs, six packs, 3 packs. The type of plants you are planting will also have varied spacings. Just figure out what spacing you are going to use for the plants, use that spacing to figure the number of plants per square foot, usually four to six, and then use that number to determine the amount of flats you need.

I would say if she wants pink and yellow go with pink bronze leaf begonias or pink vinca. For the yellow I would go with marigolds. I would try and talk her into going with red and yellow or pink and white, keeping the warm and cool colors together. Red salvia and yellow marigolds look awesome together.

tjsquickcuts
04-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Marigold is a good choice.....they spread well, and once establish, will survive our climate. I am going with mostly Begonias, all different colors, coleus for its color and growth height, and dusty millers for back ground because they will last all year, just have to keep them pruned. I say plant either one of two ways. Plant marigolds around the outter perimeter of the rings. In the center, plant Maybe 2 rows of Bronze leaf Begonias, Red, and some Green Leaf Begonias Red. Its always good to have a little green, helps balance the color scheme. Or Begonias on the Perimeter of the rings, and Coleus in the center. There is a lime greenish, yellowish Coleus that might works. I have gone thru 154 flats already this year, and have another 175 schedule for the week of May 7th. All maintenance this week. Where are you going to get your flowers from?

clallen03
04-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Im pretty limited on where I can get flowers, I dont know of any good place to go. Im most likely going to Andy's in fayetteville.

Where do you get your flowers from?

tjsquickcuts
04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Well I would say Pike landscape supply on Austell and S. Cobb dr. or HD landscape supply on the est-wst conn. and S. Cobb. I use to buy from there, and usually was able to put together enough good flats to make it happen.

But if you are really looking to start planting a lot of seasonal color, go where i was going before I cut out the middle man and started ordering direct from the green house. But thats your best bet, especially if you are going to be a repeat customer. But you will have to earn your discounts, but to me its worth it. But go to the farmers market...you will be happy trust me.

Below is similar to what you are looking to do.

clallen03
04-30-2007, 11:05 PM
What type of flowers are those and how far apart ar they planted?

Looks like some marigolds and something else.

tjsquickcuts
04-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Marigolds and Snapdragons. They come with a pink leaf also. They are spaced about 3 inches apart give or take.

PerfectEarth
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Interesting display of annual color..........:confused:

tjsquickcuts
05-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Well you know, sometimes you can only recommend what needs to be planted. I am all about sells, so if they wanted me to plant some bird crap, as long as they are paying, I am planting.....But the customers wife wanted it that way, and when it grows out, it will fill in good, but its still early. No matter how and what they want, I will make it look good.

Turf Troll
05-01-2007, 08:25 AM
generally;

8" apart 2.5 plants per square foot
4" 9
6" 4

Figure a circle - 3.14 X radius squared