PDA

View Full Version : Buying My 1st Home....

scott15
08-07-2001, 01:17 PM
hey guys, I know this is a little off topic, and I am not a perfessional like you guys and I am sorry but I would really like your advice. I am 22 and buying my first house. Rigt now I rent a house and LOVE to take care of the yard and dream of having that perfect carpet yard with pretty landscape. My house is being built right now. It is a Choice Home if anyone knows the builder, anyway I want some tips..

-should I have them put spinkler system in? (they charge $2k)
-they put bermuda sod, is it worth it to pay extra for St Augustine?
-and where can I find a website with some pictures of houses with their front yard landscaped, so I can get an idea of what I would like to do?

actually anything you can think of, I am really excited to have the best yard on my new block!!!!

p.s. sorry again this is not really about commercial....

John Allin
08-07-2001, 01:39 PM
$2k for a sprinkler system ??
Jump on it (as long as it isn't a K-Mart special)

AztlanLC
08-07-2001, 01:46 PM
First of all congratulation:blob3:

Get some other prices on the sprinkle system if it's price what you are concerned about, it's elemental to have one if you want a nice looking lawn if there is a dry season where you live.

Have you think about hydroseeding?
Cause sod is nice but it needs a lot of water to keep it nice, hydroseeding takes more time to stablish but the roots in the grass are more stronger than sod and can support more hot weather conditions. Just my 2 cents.

If you want a nice landscaping the best thing would be to hire a landscaper that does desings, cause every house is different, some plants that may look nice in one house may not survive in other.

Bob_McNaughton
08-07-2001, 01:50 PM
Spare no expense my friend! Get the better grass, get the spinkler system.

Yards in my neighborhood that have systems are plush, green and beautiful.. Everyone that doesn't have a system are in dormant, and look like rubbish.

2k seems low, don't make the mistake I did, get multiple estimates, and get references from the contractor. Go see the yards they've done, and talk to the homeowners. If their price seems too low, than it is!

Better sob is well worth the money imho. Goto a sob farm before committing, and talk to the yard forman, see the different sobs on their property and make the call.

A good lawn will last almost forever if you maintain it, so you are investing in your home, and someday, when you go to sell it, it will help its value. My house I just bought has CRAP grass, and no sprinkler system. When I put in an offer on the house, I factored in that fact, and deducted for it. (5k to be exact)

scott15
08-07-2001, 01:58 PM
well if it makes any differnce....I live in Arlington, Texas

HOWARD JONES
08-07-2001, 02:58 PM
Hey, Scott - locality sure does make a difference! (St. Augustine will not even survive much further north of you - I have lived in Kansas, Oklahoma and central Texas - while in Texas I found that both Bermuda (especially the fine blade hybrids) as well as St. Augustine are considered premium grasses. In Kansas, they are weeds - everyone wants fescue. St. Augustine freezes out a little easier but both are such aggressive spreaders they can "heal" in a season - I believe the main decision will be which one looks the best to you; St. Augustine is a very course grass compared to the fine blade Bermuda hybrids (both are loved by somebody). I suggest searching for "st. augustine grass" - will go to the Texas ag ext. service with lots of info - but, hey - don't trust me; I'm an OU fan!

Mike (MLC)
08-07-2001, 03:33 PM
That doesn't sound like a bad price for the sprinkler system, I would go ahead and get it. Go ahead too, and get the St. Augustine grass. It has a strong root system and has great runner's so it wouldn't take a long time to cover your yard. It is a thick grass and is plush. It is a tough grass, so I wouldn't worry too much about coldness in the winter months, it pops right back in no time. With the crazy weather in Texas, sometimes we have a cold winter and sometimes not. Good luck.

crazygator
08-16-2001, 02:11 AM
Shop the price on irrigation system, just to make sure. And ask what manufacturer of items they will be using is. It can make a difference, el cheapo verses something that will work and last. Also go with the St. Augustine, much better choice. As far as landscaping, get a camara and drive around to some places or houses that you like what was done. Get some pictures and then when you talk to a landscaper they will have a good idea of what you like and dislike, without you having to learn the names of a lot of plants and other things.

KirbysLawn
08-16-2001, 03:00 AM
Consider Zoysia grass? Here is a good site for it and more: http://www.zoysias.com