PDA

View Full Version : Help! My drip system never stops!

cbirdsong
04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi,
I bought a brand new home with an existing drip irrigation system. It worked fine until I had a guy "extend" the system to my back yard.

The system is on a timer that is supposed to allow it to run for 30 min. a day.

Well, the problem is, the timer appears to no longer be functioning with the water system.

If I turn on the water line, the drip system starts and will run until I turn off the water line.

I've screwed with the timer, tried only turning the water line on a small amount (to lower water pressure) but nothing I do works, and I don't have any other ideas.

Anyone seen this before???

Thanks in advance...

*trucewhiteflag*

Mike Leary
04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
First, un plug the controller...I doubt that is the problem tho, but let's take that out of the loop. Turn on the water, I bet it still flows, which indicates a
stuck valve that controls the drip...find the valve. At this point it mite be a good idea to bring in a pro..they'll have parts if it's a brand name. With the low flow of drip, sometimes algae can grow. If you're of nerve, open up the
top of the valve, carefully watching for springs & clean the rubber diaphram
& the electric solenoid port. Better drip systems have a "flush valve".

cbirdsong
04-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I'll take a look. I'm a serious newbie, so may have to call in an expert. Thx for the advice though!

Mike Leary
04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I mite have been a little vague, the valve you're looking for is the electric
valve...follow the wires from the controller..they will connect to the 24-volt
valve you're looking for.

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Check your wiring, and clear/re-set your timer using the instructions. If you don't have instructions you can usually download them off the company who makes the controllers website. Re-set it and then turn on the line using manual control, set it for a few min then see if the controller turns the water on and shuts it off when that time is up. Then tell us what happened.

Mike Leary
04-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Check your wiring, and clear/re-set your timer using the instructions. If you don't have instructions you can usually download them off the company who makes the controllers website. Re-set it and then turn on the line using manual control, set it for a few min then see if the controller turns the water on and shuts it off when that time is up. Then tell us what happened.

Are you even reading the threads? If the controller is suspect with a open
valve, unplugging..remove battery...drink Lawn/Buckner...wait....not....
it's almost always a stuck open valve....jezz She, just when I was starting
to support your cause!

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I KNOW that, but you don't want him messing with the valve do ya? Hahhaaaa!

Sorry Mike I have a sick sense of humor.

Mike Leary
04-30-2007, 06:47 PM
O.k. I wondered about that advice too...thanks irrimom

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I was waiting for you to tell him to smack the valve with a hammer. irridaddy

mikecaldwell1204
04-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I highly doubt this but, did the guy accidentally connect the drip to your mainline? Or while he was checking the system out, might have left the solenoid turned or the bleeder screw open.

PurpHaze
04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
The system is on a timer that is supposed to allow it to run for 30 min. a day.

If I turn on the water line, the drip system starts and will run until I turn off the water line.

These two statements got me to wondering... Is this a conventional automatic irrigation system with a controller mounted to a wall (i.e. in the garage), a main line that attaches to automatic valves, etc. or is this a hose bibb setup with a funkster "timer?"

cbirdsong
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
First of all, thx to you all for your replies to my predicament...

To answer the above, this is a conventional automatic irrigation system with a controller mounted to a wall.

I have not had a chance to try any of the advice given yet, but will get back to you all when I do.

thx again.

:weightlifter:

Mike Leary
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
You better get on it quick...with this crew we'll have you cleaning your chimney if it goes on long enough.:laugh:

jeffinsgf
05-01-2007, 05:03 PM
My vote is for an open bleeder valve. Easiest thing to check, very likely, and something under 3 seconds to fix.

cbirdsong
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Where might I find such valve... and what might it look like???

:confused:

Mike Leary
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
My vote is for an open bleeder valve. Easiest thing to check, very likely, and something under 3 seconds to fix.

Remember, this nice guy is a self-admitted newboy..does he have a clue of
where or what a "bleeder" is? If you're helping him, explain.

Mike Leary
05-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Bad advice before you even found the 24-volt valve powering the drip system. It could be in the area of the controller inside, it SHOULD be outside
in a 6" to 10" round pit box....follow the narrow (not 110V) wire to where it
exits the building. Many different types of "bleeders" on valves, their, job
is to "fool" the electric valve into opening manually. A bleeder is generally
on the solenoid (where the 24-volt wires connect) & you should see a "open"
or "close" on the handle. Other valves have a small up/down small "finger
bleeder" right in front of the solenoid...ALWAYS downstream of solenoid.

Remote Pigtails
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM

This question suggests to me it is time to bring in a professional. Schedule him on a day you can be home. I suspect it will be a quick repair. You can pick his brain for knowledge and save repair money down the road. Call your local irrigation supply house and get a referall on some independent servicemen.

Mike Leary
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm trying to save the guy some bucks FINDING the damn 24-volt valve, after
that, I agree, call one of us fleecers. Do "referalls" wear overalls in Texas?

Remote Pigtails
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm trying to save the guy some bucks FINDING the damn 24-volt valve, after
that, I agree, call one of us fleecers. Do "referalls" wear overalls in Texas?

Mike I think you have gone as far as you can. If he is asking this question he probably doesn't have any boxes showing in his yard and needs somebody with a locator.