PDA

View Full Version : pole pruners

Laidback03
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
i live in flordia and offer tree trimming as a service. For palm tree's,
Do pole saw pruners work with the string or do i need a gas powered deal?
Thanks,
Action Lawn Care Plus

ChadsLawn
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
The pole saw's are a pain in the butt.. Get an extended power saw, you will thank me later..

ed2hess
04-30-2007, 06:54 PM
We bought the top end echo pole saw with big motor and it is one of the best productivity tool we have ever got. We do a fair amount of palm trees and it works great on those.

Just Mow
05-01-2007, 02:02 AM
For pure power and torque get the STIHL HT131
1.9 hp about twice of what anybody else is offering and it is extendable.

Lazer_Z
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
For pure power and torque get the STIHL HT131
1.9 hp about twice of what anybody else is offering and it is extendable. That's the newest bad @ss saw out now, but if you don't really need all the power of the 131 you could go with it's little brother the HT101.

Rob

lawnboy dan
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
best not to offer palm tree trimming -its a pita and not worth the $

MarcSmith
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
The extend able Hand Saws when sharp do a great job on the palm trees. It is a good way to build your biceps though. On the large trees I used a ladder with a small arborist chain saw. On the really big ones I rented a man lift for the day.

Palm tree trimming is great winter work in Florida when the grass slows down. In orlando I did all of my palms in Jan-Feb. Very easy to make 60-70 and hour. Provided your landfill will take em...

Its also very low risk work. if you don't have to leave the ground....Nolarge branches that will crush a car, although the seed pods of the Queen Palms can be hefty....

lawnboy dan
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
the proper time to trimm a palm is in june! not the winter! real fun when it allready in the 95 -100 degree temp range not to mention the danger of bee stings and rats (yes rats!) and they are full of roaches too.

CRF500
05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
When I bought my Echo 260 I did alot of research and I was told that the Echo pole part was much more durable than the Sthil pole. Then I went on Ebay and saw a few Sthil up for auction with bent poles.

From what I was told the pole and drive head on the Echo were way more durable so I bought one!

One of the best tools I have ever bought besides prostitutes. :cool2:

MarcSmith
05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
the proper time to trimm a palm is in june! not the winter!

Yeah but your not supposed to cut grass on a set schedule either (1/3 rule) or water on a set schedule, but we do it any how....

My biggest problem with them was the big black ants that would fall out....Trimming palms are much easier than regular trees....I'll take palm trees any day...

ed2hess
05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
the proper time to trimm a palm is in june! not the winter! real fun when it allready in the 95 -100 degree temp range not to mention the danger of bee stings and rats (yes rats!) and they are full of roaches too.

Don't know about your area but you have got to knock off dead ones year round and they keep dying back constantly.

lawnboy dan
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
here in fla i was taught you trimmed the palms just before they start to flower which is sometime in june this way they dont drop dates all summer long. trim the dead after winter pases as some stuff always dies due to winter kill. its still a pita to do and you mist cut the debrie into a smallenough size so it will fit in the trash trucks. the froms are sharp and you get cut easly there is little room to get the saw in between the froms to cut them off. palms can get quite tall and it can be dangerous to you working that high up on a ladder. its not worth the risk of injury so so little $ -leave this job for the tree experts

Audrey
05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I bought a new Echo extendable pole version last year. 17 feet IIRC. It's been great so far. The manual one was just killing my arms. I had many trees to do so I figured it was time to bite the bullet. It was a good investment and I'm glad I bought it.
The only complaint is that the bar oil leaks when the unit sits. No major deal, I just keep a rag under it. It doesn't drain the tank so I guess it's mainly residual from up inside. That's it though, I'm very happy with it.

I had also heard that about the Stihl.

A

justanotherlawnguy
05-02-2007, 02:26 AM
IF your gonna offer tree trimming as a service, how can you not buy a pole pruner? Those things are a money maker and with just a couple of jobs you will have it paid for.

I do ALOT of palm trimming. I always recommend the Echo PPT-260, but after the last 2 stihl saws I bought (they are the bomb), I think my next pole saw will be a stihl as well..

MarcSmith
05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
its still a pita to do and you mist cut the debrie into a small enough size so it will fit in the trash trucks.

Thats what killing your time right there. if you bundle and cut it up for the trash boys... You end up having to cut each frond several times....Like double cutting a lawn...waste of time.

The Washintonian Palms are the worst with the "teeth" but the pygmy date
is bad with its needles at the base as well.

Many of my clients had full maint packages so I trimmed the palms as they needed it. but I never "hacked" them so that only 3 or 4 fronds were left. UGLY....

naturescape
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
First, I'm not very familiar with tree trimming, nor with palms, I admit that. But, wouldn't a chipper be the way to deal with the waste after they're trimmed? Or will a chipper/shredder NOT be able to handle them?

CRF500
05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
First, I'm not very familiar with tree trimming, nor with palms, I admit that. But, wouldn't a chipper be the way to deal with the waste after they're trimmed? Or will a chipper/shredder NOT be able to handle them? First you have to buy a chipper,who does enough tree work to justify that? When I do really big jobs a pay a chipper service to come out.

Olylawnboy
05-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I never knew you had to prune palm trees, you learn something new every day :)
I've never used a Echo but I would be lost without my HT 101.
And never in my life would I thought of a prostitue as a tool :)

Audrey
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
First, I'm not very familiar with tree trimming, nor with palms, I admit that. But, wouldn't a chipper be the way to deal with the waste after they're trimmed? Or will a chipper/shredder NOT be able to handle them?

Do you have a place to dump?
It's amazing the amount one can ratchet-down on an empty 16ft utility trailer. I welded heavy D rings on the sides and use the wide tractor trailer ratchet straps. Pile it up to to your gate height, then ratchet it down hard(keep straps on). Pile more on top until gate high, then with another set of straps, ratchet it down again. Now pull out your first set of straps. Pile more on, then repeat.
If you're starting a burn pile somewhere, you can pull the whole mess off with another truck, or unhitch and use the tow vehicle. Lower the gates, sink a hook or two into the pile, tie to your hitch and drive.

I can't answer your question about palms. Us snowbirds only see them on vacation! :laugh:

A