PDA

View Full Version : Help with 180 feet worth of 10-12 foot tall Hedges…

Gimp
04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I had a lady ask me to bid on some very large shrubs today. Approximately 180 feet worth long, 10-12 feet tall and 5-6 feet deep.

They are going to be pretty easy to trim if I have the right equipment. Here are my two questions:

How much would you bid on the job?

What equipment do I need. Right now I have a regular sized Eco Hedge trimmer. I am assuming I will need the longer version, but what is the best method for trimming high hedges? A ladder with a board underneath for stabilization???

I would rather buy the correct equipment now so that I will be ready for future jobs.

Thank you for the help!

Nathan Robinson
04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I would bid this buy the hour. Estimate how many hours and multiply your hourly wage. You will need hedge clippers with a shaft. remember to add in haul off and clean up time. Dumping fees are not cheap.

Gimp
04-30-2007, 06:43 PM
How should I get that high to trim them?

I have had some hedge quotes that I have done a good job on quoting, but it is hard to visualize how long these monsters will take.

Rizzo
04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Remeber if you are using a pole hedge trimmer over your head your arms will get tired pretty quickly. It will take alot longer if you have to keep moving your work platform. Are you able to use the bed of a truck as the platform? Rent a small sissor lift? Drywall stilts (ok, not safe but great visual, lol). Maybe you could rent aluminum scafold. If you are buying the trimmer attachment go with the articulating trimmer. I use an Echo PAS 260 and it makes quick work of hedges though I've never done one that tall. Good luck!

MarcSmith
04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
if they are 10 feet tall, chances are you hedge shears are going to bind up on the some of the thicker stuff. keep a pole pruner handy as well.

Gimp
04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Man I just can't warp my mind around this quote. I want to get the job, but I don't want to drastically underquote. A truck bed or a lift is not possible in the spot the are in.

Rizzo
04-30-2007, 08:55 PM
How much are they wanting cut off? MarcSmith has a good point about a pole pruner. If you are only taking the top foot or so off then it should not be to woody but, if you are cutting it down to 6 or 8' then there will be much thicker branches to cut. I cut my own hedge from 12-15' down to about 4 a couple years ago and of course there was alot of thick stuff to use the pruner on. If you are just trimming it will go much quicker and be less to haul away. Use a large wide framed ladder that has feet so as not to sink in the turf. It will be easier to move and you will have good reach with a pole trimmer. You might also use an aluminum versa ladder in the scafold position with a plank on top and under the feet but it will be easy to loose your footing so be careful.

prizeprop
04-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Usually when I give a bid like this, it's too hard to figure how many hours it will take. I will give them a $xx per man hour price. I don't care if they know my hourly rate. This job could take you 8 man hours or 16 man hours, hard to tell. You wont get burned this way,especially if the lady start playing take another 10" off the top when your just about done.

Precision Lawns
04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Did a job last year where the privet was 10-12 ft high, the customer wanted it at around 5ft. It took me about 17 hours solo including cleanup. I had to get my trimmers repaired because the job broke them. If you need to trim a lot off get a chainsaw as well as Hedge trimmers. This hedge was about 250 linear feet. It sucked. Have fun. I say price by hour in a firm quote. Good luck.

Gimp
04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the info. I should prob. just pass on this one. I will need a new ladder and a new set of hedge trimmers. I am guessing that this would take at least eight hours. What do other people charge for hedge trimming? I have been quoting around $35 per hour.

jeffex
05-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I have one that is 200 lin. ft 8-9 ft tall 5 ft wide trimmed to 6 high 4 wide. it takes 6 man hours for the trim and cleanup. I use a mulch kit on a wb to reduce the size of the pieces and another wb w/grass gobbler to bag them up. I would charge min. of $3.00 per lin. ft for your job . rent a scafold with wheels and just roll it along . rent the pole pruner too.and add it to your bid.[180ft x $3.00per ft ] $540 + rental fees = my bid

MarcSmith
05-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Thank you for the info. I should prob. just pass on this one. I will need a new ladder and a new set of hedge trimmers. I am guessing that this would take at least eight hours. What do other people charge for hedge trimming? I have been quoting around $35 per hour.

Price these pieces of specialty equipment into your quote. That way the job will pay for the equipment or at least a majority of the equipment.

12' tall 120 feet long....for 8 hours. means that you can trim a a single shrub 12 feet tall and 15' long, both sides, moving ladder and the top with clean up and trash disposal in one hour.

I think you'll be there for at least 2 days maybe part of a 3rd.

and if you are doing a severe cut back. plan for the better part of a week.